US Airways Blows Tire On Take Off

Children of the magenta clownshow antics. Nothing new here. People love their low fares and pilot aspirants love the sprawl of automation that lowers the bar and increases the # of seats of employment. Perfect recipe for all involved to be content going into the same burning hole together.

"When the plane was moving faster than 92 mph, an audio alert in the cockpit announced “retard” repeatedly, as if directing pilots to slow down the plane. The plane reached 188 mph and it briefly bounced 15 feet in the air, investigators said. "
It says that on landing pretty normally too. I tell my Airbus pilot friends it's critiquing their landing.
Fortunately, the Navion has never insulted me.

If you're flying, keep flying.

While the crew coordination and procedures were lacking, the main cause of the incident (IMHO) was the aircraft telling them to retard the throttles AFTER V1, and airborne. Once past V1 you establish a positive rate, gear up and cancel the audible.

If you're flying, keep flying.

While the crew coordination and procedures were lacking, the main cause of the incident (IMHO) was the aircraft telling them to retard the throttles AFTER V1, and airborne. Once past V1 you establish a positive rate, gear up and cancel the audible.

The main cause of the event was the crew making MULTIPLE!!! mistakes. The airplane was perfectly capable of flying even after all those mistakes. The "RETARD" wouldn't have continued if the Captain had left the thrust levers in TOGA like he should have.

Back