Urban Meyer [NA]

It is amazing how prudish America still is, despite so many groups saying we're about the same as Sodom and Gomorrah.
Prudish? For commenting about a video with less-than-moral behavior of a married celebrity who has had previous similar occurrences in his past? I don't think anyone would care if he was a single dude, even as the HC of an NFL team. People generally tend to look poorly on those who don't abide by the sanctity of marriage, American or not.

Prudish? For commenting about a video with less-than-moral behavior of a married celebrity who has had previous similar occurrences in his past? I don't think anyone would care if he was a single dude, even as the HC of an NFL team. People generally tend to look poorly on those who don't abide by the sanctity of marriage, American or not.

No, because of the fact that he might be fired because of it. And why are we to decide what is acceptable in his marriage? That is between him and his wife. The video is of two consenting adults doing what they feel like.

Say YOU'RE caught getting a lap dance, should YOU be fired from YOUR job?

I don't think anyone would care if he was a single dude...

I think most people couldn't care less even if he was someone "important", like an NFL head coach.

I ran across the video this last night and was like "this is why there's a story"?

I'm certain I would be, if said video made it to my higher ups. Rightly so too. Constitutes sexual harassment, possible trafficking and generally poor taste. These women are people's daughters, people's sisters, some are people's mothers, and all of them have more to offer society than their bodies.

I'm certain I would be, if said video made it to my higher ups. Rightly so too. Constitutes sexual harassment, possible trafficking and generally poor taste. These women are people's daughters, people's sisters, some are people's mothers, and all of them have more to offer society than their bodies.

I fully get that, but in general women who work at strip clubs are working there voluntarily, and know what the job entails when they take the position.

I'm certain I would be, if said video made it to my higher ups. Rightly so too.

So, when should an employer fire you for what you do on your own time? Occasionally blow a doobie? Drink? Gamble? Go to a strip club? Don't get 8hrs of sleep a night?........

An employer doesn't own a person's off time, and if they want to, they need to be paying people for that time.

I fully get that, but in general women who work at strip clubs are working there voluntarily, and know what the job entails when they take the position.
And they are often the same kind of women who populate marches like these: https://www.fox4news.com/news/hundr...or-womens-march-to-protest-texas-abortion-law and want the freedom to do whatever they want sexually.

I believe that people should not be committing adultery - which begins in the heart, and probably we are all guilty of, but what is annoying about this is that most of the people feigning most of the "outrage" would personally reject those moral standards being held to them. They are pointing out what they (rightly) believe is hypocrisy, but they would be more outraged if they were held to that standard.

Truthfully, his church probably SHOULD be placing him under discipline for this and questioning whether it is appropriate for a professing believer to be running a place like that... Even leaders (especially leaders!) need accountability and most people that subscribe to the Christian faith also believe that we are still sinners and still need accountability. Forgiveness, too, after the sin has been dealt with.

Exactly and it’s not sexual harassment or trafficking in an environment like that, where the women are voluntarily offering themselves to the public.

I think most people couldn't care less even if he was someone "important", like an NFL head coach.

I ran across the video this last night and was like "this is why there's a story"?

It's a story the same way that PTA mom gossip is a "story". For whatever reason, there's a sizeable portion of the population that enjoys seeing other people fall from grace. I believe Jeannie C. Riley had a song about the hypocrisy. I don't care for Urban Meyer in general, but that has nothing to do with his marital infidelity. I don't think it should necessarily affect his job, but as with many figurehead positions, there is a component of upholding the image of the organization that comes with the territory.

And they are often the same kind of women who populate marches like these: https://www.fox4news.com/news/hundr...or-womens-march-to-protest-texas-abortion-law and want the freedom to do whatever they want sexually.

I believe that people should not be committing adultery - which begins in the heart, and probably we are all guilty of, but what is annoying about this is that most of the people feigning most of the "outrage" would personally reject those moral standards being held to them. They are pointing out what they (rightly) believe is hypocrisy, but they would be more outraged if they were held to that standard.

Truthfully, his church probably SHOULD be placing him under discipline for this and questioning whether it is appropriate for a professing believer to be running a place like that... Even leaders (especially leaders!) need accountability and most people that subscribe to the Christian faith also believe that we are still sinners and still need accountability. Forgiveness, too, after the sin has been dealt with.
Along those subject lines, I had a youth leader at church who drunkenly made a post on a group chat about doing the diddle with his wife and telling everyone how sexy she was. It wasn’t a good look and the other co-leaders had a discussion with him and his youth leadership (unsurprisingly) fizzled out after that. He later apologized and said it was a total accident, as he thought he was texting his wife, rather than posting on our group text. I believe in second chances, nobody is perfect and we’re all susceptible to falling victim to the same desires.

Whoa Nelly! We're getting off track here! People are claiming the guy should be fired, and my stance is an employer has no rights or say in what a person legally does on their own time.

As for the morality of what he did, and your bringing the church into the discussion, my viewpoints align well with your view points.

Whoa Nelly! We're getting of track here! People are claiming the guy should be fired, and my stance is an employer has no rights or say in what a person legally does on their own time.

As for the morality of what he did, and your bringing the church into the discussion, my viewpoints align well with your view points.
I'm saying that the corrective action doesn't necessarily belong in the workplace, the people trying to get him fired are just as big hypocrites as they claim he is, and the moral issue isn't to be ignored, but to be dealt with elsewhere.

I'm saying that the corrective action doesn't necessarily belong in the workplace, the people trying to get him fired are just as big hypocrites as they claim he is, and the moral issue isn't to be ignored, but to be dealt with elsewhere.
Agreed!

So, when should an employer fire you for what you do on your own time? Occasionally blow a doobie? Drink? Gamble? Go to a strip club? Don't get 8hrs of sleep a night?........

An employer doesn't own a person's off time, and if they want to, they need to be paying people for that time.
You make very good points, but since this is a pilot board, an airline (with the FAA requirements backing them up) would have a problem if their pilots occasionally blow a doobie, or drink, within that 8 hour window before a flight. So in that case, the employer kinda owns the pilot's off time, and they're not paying very well for it!

You make very good points, but since this is a pilot board, an airline (with the FAA requirements backing them up) would have a problem if their pilots occasionally blow a doobie, or drink, within that 8 hour window before a flight. So in that case, the employer kinda owns the pilot's off time, and they're not paying very well for it!

I get that, and pilots know of those requirements when taking the job. I doubt Urban's contract or work rules/regulations state no visitation of strip clubs. :cornut:

Truthfully, his church probably SHOULD be placing him under discipline for this and questioning whether it is appropriate for a professing believer to be running a place like that...

Exactly and it’s not sexual harassment or trafficking in an environment like that, where the women are voluntarily offering themselves to the public.

You do realize this was at an upscale steakhouse, not a strip club?

You do realize this was at an upscale steakhouse, not a strip club?
That is a bit different, but of course then one would ask why that behavior is allowed there... if one holds to a particular set of moral laws.

It was a steakhouse not a strip club and a grind dance not a lap dance. Some posters here are embellishing the facts as if they were a talking head on a cable "news" network.

It was a steakhouse not a strip club and a grind dance not a lap dance. Some posters here are embellishing the facts as if they were a talking head on a cable "news" network.

He was sitting, so it was a lap dance, IMHO. But either way, doesn't look good. I'll be in Columbus in a few weeks for a boys weekend. If anybody wants a review of the place, I'll check it out! He won't be fired just for this, but it will be a small part of it. The NFL has a way of looking the other way if your team is winning. And his is not.

She didn't seem to mind doing what she was doing, and there is no evidence she was doing anything against her will. This story is completely being blown out of the water, but that's how things are these days....

If this was a public steakhouse, then Meyer is even worse than I thought at first blush. There were women and possibly children present. That kind of behavior is expected at a strip club, where attendance is limited to adults. It is entirely out of place in a public restaurant, and should have been halted as soon as it began. Do you really want your family to look at scenes like that?

If this was a public steakhouse, then Meyer is even worse than I thought at first blush. There were women and possibly children present. That kind of behavior is expected at a strip club, where attendance is limited to adults. It is entirely out of place in a public restaurant, and should have been halted as soon as it began. Do you really want your family to look at scenes like that?

OH THE CHILDREN! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!

It was late night, in the bar area. I sincerely doubt there were many tender age children around.

Not defending him, but this keeps getting embellished and blown out of proportion. They're a lot more important things going on to concern ourselves with than what some celebrity or another is doing on their personal time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

No argument there. Especially with the NIL being passed this year, they are essentially professional players now. The "amateur" part of the sport was what made it a bit more pure, at least the illusion of amateurism anyway. Now it's just about the player's individual brands and what deals they can sign.

Yeah, I am really curious to see what happens to college athletics. All the people screaming to compensate the college players may not like the consequences of the new rules. Are people really going to care that much about a new minor league with hopelessly broken salary cap rules? We shall see. I wasn't much of a college football fan anyway, so my thoughts really don't count for much. (I think the existing BCS level Div I football system, and major college basketball programs to some extent, has largely grown to be entirely inconsistent with the fundamental purpose of any real academic institution.) But I may get some pleasure out of watching the whole system collapse. So, there is that.

Id be more bothered by having to listen to kids that people brought to an upscale steakhouse…

I would typically agree. However, the job of an NFL coach during season is incredibly demanding of his time. What the hell was he doing the night after a game? They don't have much time to review film and game plan. Take the damn team plane back to Jacksonville and get to f'ing work! Go pub crawling in the off season. If I were an owner, I would fire him for exactly this reason.

Last edited:
Exactly! It's about personal freedom. What the man did may be repulsive, but it isn't illegal, and isn't really any of his employers business.

Disagree. Per my above post ^^^. But only because of the specific job demands. For most other jobs, I would probably agree.

This whole thing points to a bigger problem in society…the idolizing and placing on a podium of people based strictly on their celebrity status and/or sporting talents.

I don’t give two s$&@ that someone can dribble a basketball, throw a football, coach, or certainly not that they can attain political office. No one else should either. If you’re entertained by the sport, great, but looking at these people like role models is ridiculous.

The exception is when the person is a fine human being that happens to coach, play, or have other high profile status…but in those cases, it’s their character that deserves the admiration, not their talent.

Id be more bothered by having to listen to kids that people brought to an upscale steakhouse…
I would agree that ill behave children have no business there. We recently took my 8 year old to a nice steak restaurant. We set out the expectations, and he performed flawlessly. He even wore a tie. But we don't ask that of him often, and we spent a lot of time and effort to lay the groundwork for appropriate behavior. It is too bad though that many parents don't feel the same way. I would never put my kid in a situation where he could ruin the experience for others where I did not have total confidence he was ready. It's not fair to the others.

Every strip club I've attended was an ultra-neon pit of bored cooters who all needed $18 rum and cokes while eardrum-shattering music played to the delight of nobody. What a miserable way to spend an evening, I'll judge this person based on these tacky choices alone, not the frowning of the cloud man in the sky or harrumphing of sexually irrelevant prudes.

I would typically agree. However, the job of an NFL coach during season is incredibly demanding of his time. What the hell was he doing the night after a game? They don't have much time to review film and game plan. Take the damn team plane back to Jacksonville and get to f'ing work! Go pub crawling in the off season. If I were an owner, I would fire him for exactly this reason.
Meh, that’s a bit unreasonable imo. They’ve got time for leisure just as much as the next guy, if not significantly more. Can’t expect them to be head down in the play books 24hrs a day.

This +1000.

Kids at breweries, distilleries, and vineyards as well.

Yep. I have kids and understood that when I had them, there would be times I couldn’t do certain things (upscale dinners, etc) unless I made arrangements for care. Unfortunately, numerous parents seem to have the “I want to go here and don’t have childcare, so I’ll just take the kids” attitude. IOW, the “my wants are more important than everyone else” mindset.

My other pet peeve is when (in any restaurant) a family will stay at their table with a screaming child. And occasional outburst or flare-up, particularly with infants or toddlers, is expected in a family restaurant. But when it goes on and on, one or both parents need to have the decency to remove the child from the restaurant. On more than one occasion I was carried kicking and screaming to the car, where I sat with one parent until the rest of the family ate.

Yep. I have kids and understood that when I had them, there would be times I couldn’t do certain things (upscale dinners, etc) unless I made arrangements for care. Unfortunately, numerous parents seem to have the “I want to go here and don’t have childcare, so I’ll just take the kids” attitude. IOW, the “my wants are more important than everyone else” mindset.

My other pet peeve is when (in any restaurant) a family will stay at their table with a screaming child. And occasional outburst or flare-up, particularly with infants or toddlers, is expected in a family restaurant. But when it goes on and on, one or both parents need to have the decency to remove the child from the restaurant. On more than one occasion I was carried kicking and screaming to the car, where I sat with one parent until the rest of the family ate.
Some of us take kids with us because we want them to be introduced to society with their parents rather than on their own. And yes, we do need to be circumspect when they aren't behaving.

There was nothing about that woman that appeared to have been forced.

This was URBAN MEYERS' RESTAURANT, lol. He owned it and can likely do what he wants. The name of the steakhouse/bar is "URBAN Chophouse". I seriously doubt any children were present, and if there were, grind dancing didn't damage any of them. You will see this dancing at just about any bar in America on a busy Friday/Saturday night. It isn't remotely strip-club material.

Back