Upset Recovery Training

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
So I'm in PHX doing URT with APS (enough abbreviations?)

Amazing. Just, amazing.

Push Power Rudder Roll Climb -- it's amazing what crazy situations that will get you out of. I've been in a bunch already. Crazy. It's also amazing just how much force a "mere"3.8g feels like.

Plus some fun stuff like aileron rolls (fun), barrel rolls (fun), loops (crazy, but fun) and inverted flight (crazy --hanging in your harness is disconcerting).

Absolutely an incredible experience. Spins, all sorts of spins, coming up. Plus more aero. Fun fun fun. If you are thinking of upset recovery training-do it!

Flying an Extra 300L? That's pretty doggone fun too.

I think all pilots should do this, or just a few hours of aerobatics. Scary at first; but then it becomes both fun and educational. (And, it could save your life!)

So I'm in PHX doing URT with APS (enough abbreviations?)

Amazing. Just, amazing.

Push Power Rudder Roll Climb -- it's amazing what crazy situations that will get you out of. I've been in a bunch already. Crazy. It's also amazing just how much force a "mere"3.8g feels like.

Plus some fun stuff like aileron rolls (fun), barrel rolls (fun), loops (crazy, but fun) and inverted flight (crazy --hanging in your harness is disconcerting).

Absolutely an incredible experience. Spins, all sorts of spins, coming up. Plus more aero. Fun fun fun. If you are thinking of upset recovery training-do it!

Flying an Extra 300L? That's pretty doggone fun too.

I think all pilots should do this, or just a few hours of aerobatics. Scary at first; but then it becomes both fun and educational. (And, it could save your life!)

I haven't done any aerobatics or spin training yet, but I fully agree! You might not be as "scared" of the airplane when you know what a spin really feels like, and know for a fact you can get out of it.

It's good stuff for any pilot- even with a plane that's not meant to go anywhere near upside-down, the same things work, basically. It's smarter to try them for real in something that's happy upside-down... and a lot more fun, too. :thumbsup:

since it hasn't been said already, and it is well deserved.....

Andrew...

You Suck! :raspberry:

Best,
Rob

Sounds like a blast. So are you going to put the matrix thru those tests when you return? :ihih:

Did you have your tailwheel endorsement before attending URT?

Yes, but they do to/ldgs. At first I was bummed, but on RTB I realized my brain was so full, and so much adrenaline was pumping, that the act of landing a plane might have put me on overload.

This can absolutely save your life. Five simple steps, ingrained in your memory. The world starts looking crazy, bip, bop, boom --everything is normal again. That, and knowing the feel of the airplane at the edge of the envelope. Not that I ever plan on going there in the Matrix, but if the chips are ever down...

This can absolutely save your life. Five simple steps, ingrained in your memory. The world starts looking crazy, bip, bop, boom --everything is normal again. That, and knowing the feel of the airplane at the edge of the envelope. Not that I ever plan on going there in the Matrix, but if the chips are ever down...

Not knowing what your insurance policy states, is this the sort of thing you could play around with in the sim when going for recurrent?

The previous owner of the 310 was at one of the sim places that has a 310 simulator. He spent a lot of time doing V1 cuts to get an idea for what the plane would do, and how to handle it, as he flew out of a short strip where you had a very small amount of time to handle an engine failure after takeoff if you wanted to survive. It seems like something useful that I'd like to do if I ever got the opportunity.

Definitely would like to do the URT.

Yes, but they do to/ldgs. At first I was bummed, but on RTB I realized my brain was so full, and so much adrenaline was pumping, that the act of landing a plane might have put me on overload.

The syllabus for our EMT course has the student do a simulated engine failure approach to landing at the end of each lesson.

I did it in the Extra a couple years ago and had a blast! No tail wheel endorsement; so, I took controls in the air. Brings back great memories. Most notable to me was the accelerated stall. Pulled out of an inverted dive and restalled the aircraft going pretty fast.
Interesting stuff.

Best,

Dave

The syllabus for our EMT course has the student do a simulated engine failure approach to landing at the end of each lesson.

yeah, i've been doing that. High key, low key --very useful concepts.Take it down to a low level pass over an abandoned WWII airfield. I just don't put it down on the ground. If I were also checking out in the Extra then naturally I'd be doing soup to nutz.

T - you could practice in a sim, but there is just no way, IMHO, of simulating the OH **** I AM UPSIDE DOWN AND POINTED AT THE GROUND AND THAT CACTUS IS GETTING BIGGER REALLY QUICKLY!!!!!!!!!!!! feeling. No sim can put your butt in harms way at 7kft, when the brain starts cramping and all you have is your mantra between you and a smokin' crater (well, that 10khr former FB111 and F117 Nighthawk iinstructor pilot sitting behind you may be able to fix things!!!). If you did regular aerobatics sims might be useful. For someone without aero experience, I think the OH **** factor is imperative to ingrain the training. IMHO. YMMV. The OS factor is ebbing for me, which is good!

No no no! Its bop boom bip don't screw that up!

T - you could practice in a sim, but there is just no way, IMHO, of simulating the OH **** I AM UPSIDE DOWN AND POINTED AT THE GROUND AND THAT CACTUS IS GETTING BIGGER REALLY QUICKLY!!!!!!!!!!!! feeling.
Plus a sim can't duplicate the forces involved. I have rolled a couple of sims and a couple of airplanes (not the same ones) and the feel is completely different.

Glad you are having a good time. I liked acro when I was doing it. I hope to get back into it again someday.

My point was not using a sim instead of the real thing for this, obviously the real thing is worth a tremendous amount more. My point was more getting a chance to practice it in the Matrix without, you know, violating tons of FARs and putting yourself in danger. :)

My point was not using a sim instead of the real thing for this, obviously the real thing is worth a tremendous amount more. My point was more getting a chance to practice it in the Matrix without, you know, violating tons of FARs and putting yourself in danger. :)

Oh, yeah, at least to practice the mantra. But man oh man, nothing reinforces concepts like having your azz 8k in the sky, plummeting earthward!

Oh, yeah, at least to practice the mantra. But man oh man, nothing reinforces concepts like having your azz 8k in the sky, plummeting earthward!

Unless it's having yer azz 8k in the sky, plummeting earthward, and the ground elevation is 5,000'. That's where I did spin training...

I don't disagree. It was more of an academic question.

Since I don't fly planes that require sim time, I don't spend any time in the sim. But if I had the opportunity, I'd like to spend some time in a sim and simply do the sorts of things that one would never intentionally do in a real aircraft due to the danger associated.

Back