Upset Prevention and Recovery Training

Daleandee

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dale Andee
Tentatively signed up for UPRT in a few weeks at a nearby flight school that uses an Extra 300. Wondering how many here have had such training and any pointers that can be given in preparation for the class.

I did find an excellent video on some of the maneuvers:

Most of us get some unusual attitude recovery training during a flight review but UPRT should go well beyond that. Many pilots never get any spin training and some instructors are remiss in training stalls through the break.

Input appreciated. Hope your new year is good!

I did the 5hr course at Sean Tucker's school at King City, Ca (Before Tuitima became his big sponsor). It was more of a "Pilot Confidence Course". The emphasis was on learning to fly the wing. It began with a thorough review of unusual attitude recovery. But also provided in-depth spin training and a couple of hours of introduction to basic aerobatics.

The central theme was that if you learn to "fly-the-wing", there are no unusual attitudes.

My recomendations are as follows:

Do all the "pre-requisite" study material if they assign any. Its helpful to know a little about the aircraft before you jump in.

They also usually give you a "know-before-you-go" brochure or website link that discusses what to wear and what to bring.

Don't eat a big breakfast. And, don't try to be a hero. As soon as you start feeling the least bit queasy, the learning is over. Get on the ground. You'll find out that you recover quickly. And, most people do a little better each time.

--------------Added

I enjoyed it so much, I have since taken about 10 hours of dual instruction in aerobatics. Its a blast!

You have been marketed a course which should be properly titled Intro to Acrobatics.

If you follow proper procedures you won’t magically lose control of the airplane. Getting recurrent instruction for recognition of situations that may lead to loss of control are more important that recovering after you are upside down and the training is much less expensive.

This link caused all the folks offering UPRT courses hair to catch on fire, but it’s spot on accurate.

https://airfactsjournal.com/2020/01/why-upset-training-just-doesnt-work/

Last edited:
I did the upset recovery course with Texas Air Aces in a T-34 about 20 years ago. I found it very informative.

On the down side, the plane I was using had the wing fold up about a year after I was there killing the owner of the operation and a customer (I don't remember if they were doing an upset flight or dogfighting).

Then a year later the exact same thing happened with the instructor I flew with.

I think that was when most moved to Extra's and Decathlon's these types of flights.

I did Goulian's upset training course. It was a hoot, fun. No real prep required other than just eat lightly a few hours before and stay hydrated. It was in an Extra, worth it just to fly one of those. I had never spun an airplane before, that was fun. We did a bunch of them. The actual upset part was pretty easy.

I think it was well worth it for the experience.

Tentatively signed up for UPRT in a few weeks at a nearby flight school that uses an Extra 300. Wondering how many here have had such training and any pointers that can be given in preparation for the class.

I did find an excellent video on some of the maneuvers:

Most of us get some unusual attitude recovery training during a flight review but UPRT should go well beyond that. Many pilots never get any spin training and some instructors are remiss in training stalls through the break.

Input appreciated. Hope your new year is good!
Never done it myself. I've been to a couple seminars at Oshkosh about it. I came away with something that I remind myself of almost every flight. UTFW. Unload The F***ing Wing. Here's some videos about upset recovery type of stuff being done in an Extra 300. And I don't think asking about an upcoming flight in the Aviation Mishaps forum is a good idea. It's like bad juju:biggrin:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1XhvWfCmWcxikYUyJg18u1o2N83z49UJ

Last edited:
My upset training

I took my Private Pilot training in the days when spins and recovery were required.

That was also the first year that the FAA required 45 minutes of under the hood instrument training.

My instructor was ‘just’ a CFI, but did have an Instrument rating, and was current.

He thought the FAA requirement was way overdue, and inadequate.

Shortly after the successful check ride, we did some upset recovery training in the Cessna 150, which included showing why diving back upright from inverted could not be safely done, rolling was the only viable option. GA aircraft are quite slippery, and accelerate rapidly in dives.

To prove the failure of diving through, we set cruise power and speed, then firmly pushed the nose down 60 degrees, and immediately pulled back to level, estimating 2 G’s. The airspeed went into the yellow arc before we reached level flight. It was obvious that if you pulled back from inverted, going to a straight down dive, and continued to pull back at a survivable G force, the red line would be exceeded by a large margin. No hope diving through.

We then caged the gyro horizon, rolled to 90 degrees, and rolled back to wings level. The nose had dropped some, but moderate back pressure and less than 2 G’s had us level again. The second try, we went beyond 90, and as the wings were rolled level, no back pressure was applied to the yoke, and the plane returned to the speed it had been trimmed to before the roll. Again, we remained within the green arc.

The big lesson that he was teaching me was that the only reaction that could win was a roll back to wings level.

Figuring out which way to roll is the harder problem in a really bad upset, but rolling is the only response that should be considered.

The gyro horizon in that plane tumbled at around 80 degrees, so it was caged for that initial introduction to upset. Under the hood upsets to less than 80 degrees, with disorienting swerves and skids were then conducted, using the horizon as primary source for pitch and bank.

Modern electric and electronic horizons may not tumble, and provide accurate information in all attitudes, so will be much more useful that what I was using back then.

Later, I took an hour of aerobatic training in a Cessna 150 Aerobat. In that plane, I learned firsthand that even going over the top of a loop at near stall speed, and pulling more than 2 G’s in the dive; you flirted with the yellow arc. Even in that plane, diving through from 90K or faster would have been a high risk maneuver.

Rolling inverted at cruise speed, and allowing the nose to drop 30 degrees, rolling back upright was a trivial event, and did not come close to the yellow arc.

I have experienced wake turbulence twice. Flying safety pilot for another pilot who was under the hood, we flew under the track of an airliner inbound to KBWI, and pretty far behind it. The upset was both roll and pitch, and I hit my head against the overhead, with my seatbelt tight. The other pilot was shorter, and did not bump his head. His response was correct, wings level, correct the pitch, and recover assigned altitude. We were below a thin layer, VFR, and the airliners were above it, we never saw them. We did go to a different area to continue the hood work.

The second time, clear air, no clouds anywhere, and flew through a vortex about10 miles from Richmond VA. We never saw the plane, but the partial upset was quite high G force. Recovery was trivial in severe VFR, but in instrument conditions, the gyro would have been nice for the first reaction.

An upset resulting from wake turbulence is probably the most likely one that we might experience, as outside the approach and departure phases of flight, they are near impossible to anticipate, and exist everywhere. Simply following a Victor or GPS route can take you through the track of a climbing or descending heavy, and “presto” you are in the rolling air.

Upset recovery training should take place in aircraft as similar to our normal plane as possible, so that we are flying the actual responses, and limitations that we have to live with when our upset occurs

Aerobatics, by the way, are fantastic fun, even in a lowly Cessna 150 Aerobat!

Edited to add:

Training in a simulator, with or without motion, is an excellent tool. That will bring you to understand the rapidity of acceleration in nose down attitudes, as well as the speed with which rolls to upright take place. They also require total dependence on the instruments, not your sensations. That is a key item, as instrument failure is unlikely to occur just as the plane goes awry. Unless you were on autopilot.

Last edited:
My upset training

I took my Private Pilot training in the days when spins and recovery were required.

That was also the first year that the FAA required 45 minutes of under the hood instrument training.

My instructor was ‘just’ a CFI, but did have an Instrument rating, and was current.

He thought the FAA requirement was way overdue, and inadequate.

This is a great post and very informative. I've done some unusual attitude training but I see this course as an opportunity to up my game and learn some muscle memory. I had an instructor that once taught me that one of the hardest things I would ever do is look at the ground coming up and push the stick forward. He was correct and when I had an engine failure many years ago during takeoff that's exactly what was needed and what I did as my mouth filled up with cotton and my brain was screaming, "what??? ... this can't be happening!!!

Most of the information that I've seen says the most important thing is to get the stalled wing(s) flying and that means to unload them i.e. push the stick forward then get the wings level.

I'm looking forward to this and just hope an old fella can hold onto his cookies til it's over. :D

Something an instructor showed me years ago, that I thought was really cool was doing an inverted flat spin. The entry was a skidded stall that felt like a half snap-roll to inverted, then holding the stick full forward and to the right, add full power to flatten out the spin. You could feel/see the rotation speed up or slow down with throttle. This was a lot of fun, and we probably spent a little more time on it than was called for in the syllabus.

But, the point was that just pushing the stick forward doesn't always fix the problem.

Last edited:
Something an instructor showed me years ago, that I thought was really cool was doing an inverted flat spin. The entry was kinda like a half snap-roll to inverted, then holding the stick full forward and to the right, add full power to flatten out the spin. You could feel/see the rotation speed up or slow down with throttle. This was a lot of fun, and we probably spent a little more time on it than was called for in the syllabus.

But, the point was that just pushing the stick forward doesn't always fix the problem.
Not only that alone. There are usually some other things to do in addition to UTFW

Not only that alone. There are usually some other things to do in addition to UTFW

One or two I suspect! :D

44430831482_c5bf293976_c.jpg

Back