%#!!$! UPS

kyleb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Drake the Outlaw
UPS put one of those little sticky notes on our door today.

"Missed you, need to have someone sign for this package. We'll try again tomorrow."

"Oh, and if that doesn't work, here are your options:"

- Pick it up at our office 20 miles and 30 minutes away.
- Have it shipped to another address (for an additional fee).
- Set up a 4 hour window to take delivery (for an additional fee).

We don't even know what the package is or recognize the shipper. And none of the delivery options are attractive.

Thoughts:

1) What idiot blind ships you something signature required and doesn't warn you.

2) How is it that a logistics company doesn't offer better options than those presented above? For instance, why can't I sign a release and have them leave it at the door?

Rrrrr.

The good news is the package is addressed to SWMBO. Perhaps she can figure it out.

Now, when my new propeller comes, I'm guessing I'll get advanced warning and I'll find an excuse to be at home when it arrives. But a mystery package? Naah.

2) How is it that a logistics company doesn't offer better options than those presented above? For instance, why can't I sign a release and have them leave it at the door?
FedEx offers this... you may want to poke around on the UPS website to check, they may have it.

Was a track# provided? That would reveal the shipper

We did use that feature. Didn't recognize the shipper.
Acknowledged... then caution advised... there have been a few scams running locally that begin with situations similar to yours.

FedEx offers this... you may want to poke around on the UPS website to check, they may have it.

I spoke with a representative earlier. That's not an option. Been there, done that before when I bought a Dell computer online because it was convenient. Of course, missing a half day's work to take delivery more than wiped out the convenience of the online ordering process.

Acknowledged... then caution advised... there have been a few scams running locally that begin with situations similar to yours.

I should elaborate. UPS knew the shipper, provided the name, etc. But neither SWMBO (Who's an Aggie, BTW and sat in the NCAA Suite in Charlotte at your game last Sunday) or I recognized the shipper.

I've had the same thing happen to me. UPS tracking said a delivery attempt was made and there was nobody available to sign so they would try again the following business day. Well, they didn't even make an attempt to deliver because I was there the whole time and nobody showed. Long story short, I ended up having to go to the UPS distribution center and pick it up in person.

I suppose all carriers are subject to delivery issues so I overlooked it and continued using them.

I should elaborate. UPS knew the shipper, provided the name, etc. But neither SWMBO (Who's an Aggie, BTW and sat in the NCAA Suite in Charlotte at your game last Sunday) or I recognized the shipper.
Can you google the shipper to find a phone number and then call them? They can have it released to deliver and left in your garage, car or a neighbor.

I've found you can get the same end result as paying for UPS yourself for free.

Option one, take your package, put in drive way, run over with car.

Option two, put your package somewhere and forget where you put it.

USPS for the win.

If the whole situation is stressing you that much...just make the 30 minute trip and be done with it... Hell, smoke some weed before you leave to make the ride more "colorful"

Since you have no idea what it is and thus must not have paid for it, why worry?

If it shows up, you’ll know (and get something likely to be totally useless), if it never does, no big deal.

Cheers

Resister your address online with UPS and FedEx...they will send you delivery notifications and if a direct signature is required or not even if the shipper does not send a ship notification. Will ping ya for anything inbound to your address ahead of time.

Fedex will even usually allow me to divert the package to a federal store on delivery date if I know I will not be home to sign but can pick it up that night.

I had a FedEx package show up at my door the other day. I called FedEx and let them know it was delivered to the wrong address. The correct address is clear across town. There is a difference between north and south. The interstate is in the middle and divides the town.

The shipper called me a couple hours later telling me they have sent another box to the buyer, and I can dispose of the box delivered to me by accident. I offered to run it to the correct address. (small town, folks here do stuff like that) But they said no, we will ship another box.

I opened the box and it is full of tubing for someone's portable oxygen and a few nasal cannulas. I hope whoever needed the stuff wasn't out of tubing.....

Thinking back I should have just ran the box over to the other address without calling anyone.

I think the service provide by various parcel deliverers depends on where you live.

I prefer USPS, because the mailman can enter the locked lobby/foyer in the condo. Yes, the packages are visible on the bench, but I haven't had someone break in and steal one yet.

The other delivery services need to call on the intercom, which rings my cell phone. I can buzz them in remotely if I am able to answer the phone.

UPS will deliver to a restaurant a couple blocks away the next day, if they miss a delivery. I was surprised at first, because who knew this hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant/bakery would accept packages for other people. Now I see their strategy. I buy some treat every time I go in to pick up a package. During the holiday season I saw they had stacks of people's missed deliveries in a corner.

Hopefully none of the other services are stupid enough to leave a package accessible to the street and people walking/driving by. This is not my former little house on the prairie in Colorado...

It's been rumored that my UPS guy might just sign my name in that situation. It's also been rumored that he might drop it off at the Post Office and let them sign for it. Just rumors, of course...

Rich

You can also put a Post-It (TM) on your door that points (with an arrow and address) to your neighbor's house who's willing to sign for your package (and of course present during delivery window). Most delivery drivers are fine with that. They just need a signature.

You can also put a Post-It (TM) on your door that points (with an arrow and address) to your neighbor's house who's willing to sign for your package (and of course present during delivery window). Most delivery drivers are fine with that. They just need a signature.

Note to self. A pack of Post It notes could make for a very entertaining afternoon if one were bored. :)

It's been rumored that my UPS guy might just sign my name in that situation. It's also been rumored that he might drop it off at the Post Office and let them sign for it. Just rumors, of course...

Rich

The delivery companies are only as good as your specific drivers and how much they care.

I got a call outta the blue once from a UPS driver...he had a package in his hand that was out for delivery and he knew that I was no longer at that address...from having moved over three years ago. He took it upon himself to call my # that luckily was on the shipping label then redirect the package to my new address after confirming with me. There are some good ones out there.

yep - there are some good ones. I was handling the sale of my mom's property while on vacation last summer and had to overnight a package of papers to the Title Company. I left a folder of my copies sitting on the drop box in Heber City, UT and didn't realize it. Drove 30 miles to the lake we were camping at, and the next day I got a call from the driver who found my folder. His route went past the lake, so I met him out at the highway that afternoon.

That, in my opinion is way above the norm. Attaboy and thanks to that driver!

Back