Upgrading seatbelts.

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
In some of the small planes I've had the pleasure of flying right seat in had what I'd describe as race car harnesses for the safety belts. These are the belts that go over both shoulders, and have the connections that allow the spade of the lap belt to pass through as you connect to the lap belt.

What are some sources for these belts? If an aircraft owner were to change from a single over the shoulder (aka like we have in our cars/trucks) to the design we're discusing, is any inspections or paperwork or logbook entries required?

We just replaced some seatbelts in our helicopters. Rick at Aircraft Belts Inc. got us what we needed. There was even a slight goof up in the order on their end, and we wanted the belt lengths shortened some from what they gave us and their customer service was excellent.

(My employer says, "If the belt won't fit around someone at this [the shorter] length, They don't belong in that seat. They're going to throw me out of CG.)

Air Belts is in NC i think.

Mike,

FYI...You can't reach the Johnson bar flaps in "hooker style" harnesses. You need the "BAS style" inertia reels.

At least in a 172 or 182 you do.

There's a cute STC'd extender for the 170 / 172 flap handle. Keeps you from having to lean way over to grab the handle...saw it at Oshkosh a couple of years ago.

Mike,

FYI...You can't reach the Johnson bar flaps in "hooker style" harnesses. You need the "BAS style" inertia reels.

I had mine done by WagAero. I chose NOT to get inertial reel due to 1) cost 2) they break far too easily.

With harness snug, I can't reach either the flap or fuel in a cherokee. However, as I point out in my briefing to pax, they are required to keep harness tight but I don't. In the event of an emergency there will be plenty of time to for them to prepare and for me to snug up the harness.

2) they break far too easily.

Got anything to back that up with?

I've had mine in my 182 for 8 years and well over 1000 hours now with no issues and they've been putting inertia reels in cars for, what?, 30...40 years now.

You gotta think they've worked out most of the kinks by now.

Last edited:
Got anything to back that up with?

I've had mine in my 182 for 8 years and well over 1000 hours now with no issues and they've been putting inertia reels in cars for, what?, 30...40 years now.

You gotta think they've worked out most of the kinks by now.

I'll admit that every aircraft I've flown in with inertial reel harness were rentals and every one of them were broken. And the cost was 2-3x over non-inertial reel when I installed them in my cherokee (2001).

In some of the small planes I've had the pleasure of flying right seat in had what I'd describe as race car harnesses for the safety belts. These are the belts that go over both shoulders, and have the connections that allow the spade of the lap belt to pass through as you connect to the lap belt.

What are some sources for these belts? If an aircraft owner were to change from a single over the shoulder (aka like we have in our cars/trucks) to the design we're discusing, is any inspections or paperwork or logbook entries required?

That is one of the blessing of going the 'experimental' route.... WE can do stuff that is logical, safe and cutting edge...... Our kool set ups will hit the certified market about 25 years later.:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod:.

On my homebuilt I went with the Hooker Harness three point but left out the submarine belts.. If I hit something that hard I am probably toast anyway.

Ben.
www.haaspowerair.com

My club's -172 only has lap belts. What's the cost to get something like this installed? I imagine it's a pretty expensive/difficult mod if there was never a shoulder belt installed?

My club's -172 only has lap belts. What's the cost to get something like this installed? I imagine it's a pretty expensive/difficult mod if there was never a shoulder belt installed?

There are a number of STCs for the C172 shoulder harness. There are two expenses - the harness then the labor for the installation. Here's one example of non-inertial reel. At $170 each, that'll be $340 plus install. Don't know what the installation procedure is for the C172, but on the cherokee, it took two doublers riveted to the fuselage structure in the roof. Since I had new seatbelts along with the shoulder harness, I can't give you a specific price tag.

http://store.wagaero.com/product_info.php?products_id=2444

$100 says you're wrong . . .

. . . if you know how to flip the button with the toe of your right foot. Even you could learn how to do this with proper instruction.;)

Mike,

I haven't flown barefoot in awhile, Wayne...I guess I should more! :)

$100 says you're wrong . . .

. . . if you know how to flip the button with the toe of your right foot. Even you could learn how to do this with proper instruction.;)

LOL! I remember you doing that when I flew with you in the Skywagon.

Maybe you could explain it to Tim. He seems to be struggling with the concept.;)

Nahh, it can wait. My inertia reels allow full access to everything I need to access. They're far more comfortable than the hookers I put in my 172 also.

Worth every penny.

My first 180 had a fixed harness, and I initially thought that inertials would be high on the list of upgrades. After using them for a few months I concluded that the differences in actual use were so slight that it wasn't a good use of money. So I put the same system in the new plane (bought used from another 180 owner for a pittance when he upgraded) and have no regrets. The guy who bought the inertials now says he wouldn't do it again.

But being smarter than what you're working with will always be a big part of the equation. :tongue:
Nahh, it can wait. My inertia reels allow full access to everything I need to access. They're far more comfortable than the hookers I put in my 172 also.

Worth every penny.

Worth every penny.
I always felt that 172's were too small for hookers!:yikes: unless you hired a really small one!:D

I always felt that 172's were too small for hookers!:yikes: unless you hired a really small one!:D

A bill for $25 of pun tax is on its way

Last edited:

IF I remember what I read in the logbooks, my plane has Hooker shoulder harnesses. They are of great quality and comfortable. They are widely available.

On the Cessna120-140 forum there was a Pipeline patroller whose 140 was in the shop and he was flying patrol in a loaner Cherokee that did not have shoulder harnesses. He lost power and went into the trees. Luckily the plane went vertical and caught in the trees about 12 feet above ground and he stumbled away. He said very emphatically that he would NEVER fly or ride in a small plane ever again without shoulder harnesses.

The whole write up that he made about the exerience convinced me that I wanted shoulder harnesses. This was just before I bought my plane. Had I ended up buying a plane without them, I would have added them before flying it.

You are making a wise decision Mike.

Doc

Back