Upgrading panel for 1975 Piper PA28-151

Rocketman90251

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Richard
I have a PA28 with a basic panel. I have one Michel TKM 170C Nav/Com radio, a transponder, and an old Trimble GPS that I don't use. My plane currently only has headphone jacks for the pilot. Nothing for copilot or passengers. I recently purchased a Garmin GMA340 audio panel that I haven't installed yet.

I'm looking at the best way to do some panel upgrades that, hopefully, won't break the bank. Used equipment is an option.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what would be the best equipment to add? I'm a newbie VFR pilot.

It seems to me that the first thing I should consider is adding a second radio. Should I add a second \ TKM 170C Nav/Com, something else, or should I add a Nav radio only such as the Garmin SL40? Is it better to go with older avionics such as the SL40 someone has pulled out for an avionics upgrade or should I go with new?

Does anyone have any thoughts on what would be the best equipment to add?

All thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

• 20170703_082446.jpg
    20170703_082446.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 67
You're heading in to a world of spending. But it can be fun.

First off... you can get a transcom intercom for $300. http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/tr...s7cYCpNpE20t1nc9L7yjgTcUYiDchhSRoCDdAQAvD_BwE

That will solve your passenger listening needs quite inexpensively.

Then for a second radio, don't get the SL40, get the SL30 so you'll have dual nav/com.

Those two changes will take care of a LOT of your needs for under $5k installed, with no throw away costs later when you go ballistic and get a GTN750 with all the things and such.

Eventually all the money will be spent, but you can tackle things in order of need.

You want more avionics? Sell your aircraft and buy one that already has them. Steingar, the guy who's about to sink another 8 AMUs into his 55 year old airplane.

Mods, @Ravioli should be suspended immediately for deliberate disservice to aviation. Practical advice like his won't be tolerated. This is PoA after all. Where's the mandatory dual G5s, for example? And the Garmin GTX-345 that will display ADS-B In in glorious color on the GTN-750? Garmin and the avionics shops are going to go broke with advice like his. And then where would we all be? :rolleyes:

To the OP: On my first Cherokee I installed an audio panel with a 4-place intercom (I think your GMA-340 has that?). I had a single panel mount radio, like you do now, as Comm 1. I had a second Comm antenna installed and had jacks wired in so I could use a portable radio, connected to the external antenna and the audio panel, as Comm 2. I used a portable GPS on a yoke mount. With that, and the headset adapter for the portable comm radio, I had 100% communication and navigation independent of the aircraft electrical system, if necessary. Today you could replace the portable GPS with an iPad and free software.

You may need to consider ADS-B Out compliance as well, depending on where you are based and fly.

Last edited:
Your GMA-340 will take care of the intercom issue, you'll just have to buy the jacks for the other three places.

Welcome ,being a new pilot,you might want to consider ,how long you intend to keep your current plane. I would consider a potable GPS or an I pad with foreflight or a similar program. I would consider a good portable radio with a separate antenna,this can all go with you ,if you move up.

Welcome ,being a new pilot,you might want to consider ,how long you intend to keep your current plane. I would consider a potable GPS or an I pad with foreflight or a similar program. I would consider a good portable radio with a separate antenna,this can all go with you ,if you move up.
What are your plans for the aircraft? $100 hamburgers? IFR training?
Where do you fly? Will ADS-B out be a requirement?

Personally, I’m not in favor of a second Nav unless you intend to get instrument rated and you fly where airways are normally used (northeast USA comes to mind). A second Com is useful for recieving AWOS/ASOS/ATIS while monitoring tower or ctaf. The Garmin audio panel will manage two coms quite nicely.

Someone has offered me a second (used) Michel TKM 170C and a guide slope that could go with my existing TKM 170C and GS. They want $1300 for both. That would give me Dual Nav Com.
Do you think it would be a good idea to go with the second TKM 170C? I also have to think about ADS B as I currently don't have that. Should I go with buying an ADS-B out compatible radio as my primary radio and then use the TKM 170C as the backup?
Don't want to break the bank putting avionics onto a PA28. However, don't want to be unsafe or a total scrooge either.
The local avionics shop quoted $2000 for labor to install the additional radio and GMA 340 audio. Does that seem reasonable? I don't want to spend $2k on labor to install a new radio and audio panel and then have to pay again to add ADS-B or some other obvious addition. Would make sense to do all at once.
Thoughts?

Probably the most expensive component in the stack to install is the Audio panel. It attaches to everything. The labor costs almost as much as the unit itself. Can never figure out why owners economize on the unit, when they all cost about the same to install.

Last edited:
Probably the most expensive component in the stack to install is the Audio panel. It attaches to everything.
Which means choosing the right one for your situation is very important. Can increase the utility of the system as a whole in a big way.

Mike said it well. Also consider looking at either a Garmin 350 or PS Engineering 450A. Each has options that are attractive. Get a stereo panel. You are installing the audio panel for the next 20 years.

I put a PSE 450A in my panel last year and folks who fly with me are astonished at the clarity and easy to use advanced features because to the context displayed menus with the 3 soft keys.

Garmin GNC-255 is the successor to the SL30.

Remember when installing an audio panel the existing radios are 80% rewired. Nearly all connections go through the audio panel plus antenna and power. New radios are almost free labor to install.

Last edited:
Our club has the PSE 450 panel, so I can answer questions about that...

And Kent, @flyingcheesehead, just put in the latest Garmin panel and can share with you the happiness he is enjoying.

Not enough info.

What are you trying to accomplish here? Make her into a IMC plane? basic VFR? international ops? backcountry?

What's your mission profile with the plane, burger runs? 70nm X/C, 2,000nm X/C? Is weight a big concern?

Do you already have a good alternator and battery, already have good landing and taxi lights?

I’m in the same situation. I scheduled my ADS-B install for November.

I was going to with the GDL-84 with Flightstream 110 for my KT-76a. But for the same price I can get a Stratus ESGi and I think the installation cost would actually be cheaper.

I’ve also decided to go with a new audio panel to replace the KMA-20. And while I’m at it, i’m Trying to decide if I can afford to have the King 170 NAV/Comm radio replaced with either a KX155 NAV/Comm or Garmin 300XL GPS.

It’s a lot of figuring out what works with what and the capabilities of everything.

Back