Upgrading panel; asking for a friend

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
Friend bought a C182 in good shape but with a dated panel. He asked me for advice. I think he is the only one that knows less than I do.

This is what he put together: (I';m not sure who helped him)

10" GDU-460 (Isn't that for experimental, I'm thinking he means G3X touch)
7" GDU-460
GTN650xi
GTR20 COM
GEA-24 Garmin Engine Monitor
GFC-500 2 axis AP w electric pitch trim
GTX-345R
G5 (backup EFIS)
GDL-51R Datalink XM, weather music (I don't know why).

Does this panel make sense? Is it missing anything obvious?

I still need to find out if he has/needs an audio panel.

Sounds like a very nice panel.

10" GDU-460 (Isn't that for experimental, I'm thinking he means G3X touch)
7" GDU-460

I think the GDU-460 is the 10" G3X Touch display, and the GDU-470 is the 7" G3X Touch display.

The 750Xi is also worth considering, if they've got the coin. More expensive, but man that big display is nice!

GTR20 COM

I had to look that one up, as I thought it was experimental only. However, it appears that Garmin now has it approved for certified aircraft with the G3X Touch, along with the GMA 245R audio panel.

GEA-24 Garmin Engine Monitor

Clarification: This is not a standalone engine monitor, this is an engine interface unit that allows you to use the G3X Touch as an engine monitor. IMO, that's the way to go, just wanted to be sure you knew that. :)

GFC-500 2 axis AP w electric pitch trim

The current state of the art, and likely to remain so for years to come. The GFC-500 is VERY nice.

GTX-345R
G5 (backup EFIS)
GDL-51R Datalink XM, weather music (I don't know why).

Does this panel make sense? Is it missing anything obvious?

I still need to find out if he has/needs an audio panel.

For the audio panel, I suggest the GMA 350c. That will give you voice control of the GTN, which is really nice. Alternatively, the GMA 245R can be put in and controlled via the G3X Touch The R is for Remote, so it will not have a visible presence in the panel. Personally, I didn't go with any remote equipment as I had the panel room and I like buttons. :rofl: But if you just want a couple of big video screens and the rest of the panel bare, the remote options will enable that.

Does your friend have a good sized bank account? There's nothing missing from it. That will be an awesome panel and autopilot, but also some big $$.

Does your friend have a good sized bank account? There's nothing missing from it. That will be an awesome panel and autopilot, but also some big $$.
His first quote was $91k, so he trimmed it down to this. I'm not sure what he trimmed. He plans to finance the panel through the sale of his 310.

The 750Xi is also worth considering, if they've got the coin. More expensive, but man that big display is nice!
The GTN750 is a lot of extra pixels, but so much you would do on the 750 is moved to the 10” G3X.

Staying with round dials, or small screens like the G5’s, the big 750 is nice to have.

My opinion is to save the dollars and pair the G3X with the GTN650

One small item to add to the list: FlightStream

whether the hidden 210 or the small data card 510, this will allow the GTN and iPad to communicate directly, making flight plan entry and changes much simpler.

The GTN750 is a lot of extra pixels, but so much you would do on the 750 is moved to the 10” G3X.

True, but it's more about "multitasking" or not having to push so many buttons (on-screen or otherwise): The 750 is like having a second dedicated MFD plus nav/com/GPS all in one. Treat one as the long-range "what's the weather doing 400nm in front of me" display and the other as the "what will kill me in the next 5 minutes" (traffic/terrain) display.

Of course, I've also had three laptops with six large external displays sitting on my desk at once, using all of them, and wishing I had more, so maybe I just have an insatiable lust for pixels. ;)

but it's more about "multitasking" or not having to push so many buttons (on-screen or otherwise)
After watching some videos of pilots who have the G3X and GTN combination, it is amazing how well the two devices play well together, both in how things are controlled and the amount and quality of information available.

And the cost of the 10-inch isn’t that bad compared to devices of old.

Back