Upgrading medical with DUI

G

ggg

I had a DUI 8 years ago (BAC .17). I provided all the documentation the FAA requested (arrest reports, personal statement, alcohol evaluation from substance abuse counselor) and eventually after a few back and forths got a letter that I was eligible to hold a 3rd class medical. I did not have to meet with a HIMS AME, attend AA, prove abstinence, etc. I've since renewed my 3rd class medical twice without issue.

If I want to upgrade from a 3rd class medical to a 2nd class medical, can my AME just issue it since I've resolved things with the FAA regarding this offense? Or because it is a new class will it have to be deferred, and will that result in me having to go through the HIMS process? In which case I'd probably just leave it alone and not bother.

If you have no new event, we can issue that in the office.....

Great, thank you. This seems like kind of a loophole though, no? If I just came off the street and tried to apply for 2nd class with a DUI >.15 wouldn't I have to go through all the HIMS stuff? Or is that only 1st class?

Great, thank you. This seems like kind of a loophole though, no? If I just came off the street and tried to apply for 2nd class with a DUI >.15 wouldn't I have to go through all the HIMS stuff? Or is that only 1st class?

Eight years with no further incidents argues forcibly for a mistake and lesson learned. But I am not a medical professional nor do I understand FAAthink on this issue.

-Skip

Why would you post a question like this? You got the answer you wanted, go dark and get your class II. Don't give the powers that be new ideas.

My union released details that anyone who gets a DUI with a BAC of .15 or more will be denied a medical going forward. Does that mean automatic full HIMS for life?

Why would you post a question like this? You got the answer you wanted, go dark and get your class II. Don't give the powers that be new ideas.
Not only the correct answer, but the correct answer from one of two Most Treasured AMEs here.

Just double checking because I don’t want to accidentally screw myself...honestly it’s not the answer I was expecting. I’ll go back into my hole now.

Just double checking because I don’t want to accidentally screw myself...honestly it’s not the answer I was expecting. I’ll go back into my hole now.

Lol, if you are not here unmasked, join, not a bad place. But seriously, don't mess with success. Good luck!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back