Upgrading Medical with a SODA

James Riley

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
James Riley
I have a SODA that I got from a Medical Flight Test that is good for a Class 3 medical. I need to renew my medical by the end of July AND I want to upgrade to a Class 2 to go Commercial. My question is about the process. Below is what I THINK I am supposed to do:
  1. Sign up in MedXPress for a Class 2 Medical.
  2. See an AME to get an exam.
  3. The AME will decline me for the Class 2 but will issue the Class 3 medical.
  4. I'll take the Decline letter to the FSDO and coordinate a MFT to upgrade my SODA to a Class 2 SODA.
  5. The FAA will issue me the Class 2 medical and a Class 2 SODA.
Does this sound right and/or am I missing something?

James

Not quite. Your AME should defer you since your SODA is only for a third class. However, in the deferral your AME should write a statement in block 60 that you are looking to get a new SODA for second class. The FAA will deny you and, ideally, offer you a MFT to set up through the FSDO. Once you pass that MFT you can be issued and get a new SODA.

However, hopefully the FAA just uses your last MFT to update your SODA and doesn't necessarily require a new MFT. It depends on what the issue is and how stable it is.

...and you do not surrender your current class medical. The new application is a deferral. You then write the AMCD PO box 25082, Ok City OK 73125 and request the MFT and specify the FSDO so that the paperwork goes to that facility. In our FSDO, the ride is then auth'd out to any of ten DPEs who have passed the "Medical checkride" course.

Back