Upgrading Medical - What do do first about Sleep Apnea

B

Boxer

I currently hold a 3rd class medical certificate (and PPL). I also have a 60% Veterans Affairs disability rating for my back, neck and other body parts that no longer work the way they should. I believe I can qualify for the upgrade on my medical. I've been told that it will be required for the 141 Commercial program I'm about to start (August or sooner).

Some years ago, I was referred for a sleep study based on a description of complaints I gave to my private physician. I never went for the study while I was trying to figure out how to get my insurance to cover it, where to go, etc. Some time has passed since I got the referral.

It's my understanding that VA would pay for the sleep study considering I've submitted a claim with them, but they denied the claim because they said it wasn't "service connected". Looking at the record the VA has, it shows I got the referral 4 months after my discharge, which clearly qualifies. I'll be taking that up with them, but it will likely be a protracted process.

Considering that I've heard so many positive things about the results that people are getting with CPAP machines and that I believe I should get one, I'm not sure how to proceed (my insurance has changed several time while I've changed jobs over the years) but I know that I want to get the study done, especially if it will help me get a better night's rest.

Do I continue to press the VA to pay for my sleep study or should I just pay out of pocket and then lean on my insurance company? Should I do the sleep study before I apply for the upgraded medical or do I go see my AME first?

get the sleep study the best and most expeditious way you can. You may not have sleep apnea. Then go see your AME.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back