Upgrading 2nd Class with SI to 1st Class?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
I recently renewed my 2nd Class and obtained an SI for OSA. Now I’m looking at a few jobs that require a 1st class medical.

Question is: since I only have a couple months on my current medical with SI, is that a problem for obtaining a new 1st Class with SI? Would I need to do anything special aside from the EKG and submit a current status letter from my doc and sleep data showing compliance?

Whatever you do, be sure to first go to an AME on a consultation visit.....

Oh, wait... you already know that.... [Emily Latella voice] Nevermind...

Curious about the answer myself.

For many conditions the spec for 2nd class Si is the same as 1st and all that is needed is a deferred 1st class exam. You should hang onto your 2nd and go rigth on in for a deferred 1st if you have one of those conditions.

Or if you can show you have revenue need for a first that AME can call in and get your turned around in 24-48 hours.

Last edited:
For man conditions the spec for 2nd class Si is the same as 1st and all that is needed is a deferred 1st class exam. You should hang onto your 2nd and go rigth on in for a deferred 1st if you have one of those conditions.
By deferred First.... this means appear for the first class exam with all the required SI specification items in hand, have it all sent to OKC for review, and await their blessing saying, "you're still doing good on your SI, and here is your first class medical bit of paper."

Or something else?

By deferred First.... this means appear for the first class exam with all the required SI specification items in hand, have it all sent to OKC for review, and await their blessing saying, "you're still doing good on your SI, and here is your first class medical bit of paper."

Or something else?

you nailed it! nothing else.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back