Upgrade!

The F is wider as well as longer. The 200 HP engine has more expensive cylinders and is less likely to be a MoGas candidate, which would be my primary thoughts on it. I have a bit under 100 hours in an F and loved it. Overall, costs will be pretty similar.

An M20E is a C body with the F's 200 HP engine. More speed, if it's a concern.

Before you get too far along on a Mooney (great airplane, by the way), you might want to take the boss out to the airport and let her climb into and sit in one. Different seating and ingress/egress than a Cessna and she might not like it.

Brother....

Get an Archer. 1000 pounds, 125+ knots, very forgiving airplane, 10 gal/hour, $1200 annual, insurance about $850 first year.

You can also find a 172 180hp conversion that will step you up to the Archer specs as well. I trained PPL in 152/172 and Inst in a Warrior and Cherokee 180. I bought an Archer II if that says anything.

Step up to a complex and/or HP- 30 more knots, same or less load, annuals double the cost, insurance around $4k-ish till you hit 100 hours, then drops about $500,

If you only need two seats most of the time, why go Mooney/Bonanza other than the cool feeling up pulling the gear up and down?

If you need 5 seats or better, Bonanza and be prepared for the total cost of ownership. Not saying its crazy, but you will have sticker shock coming from a 150!

Go for the Mooney, I love my C model. Insurance in general has come down significantly in the last few years. Even with 62 hours total and zero complex, I never paid $4000. With my Instrument Rating, insurance is now under $1000. Annuals are not bad, I do owner-assisted to learn the plane and make sure everything is in good shape.

It's also a great platform for instrument training and instrument flight.

Before you get too far along on a Mooney (great airplane, by the way), you might want to take the boss out to the airport and let her climb into and sit in one. Different seating and ingress/egress than a Cessna and she might not like it.

She said anything is better than getting in a cub, so I don't think it will be an issue. She only flies 4 times or so a year, so I'm not worried.

Back