upgrade on an older C182

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
Buing a C-182A. Has a KX155 w glideslope, another working comm, and an old Narco transponder. Ads-B out compliance w a tail beacon.
Question is - will ad a WAAS Gps, — should I replace the Transponder with a newer unit like the Garmin 335? Or will a working GTX327 suffice, since it has a working tailbeacon system.
I fly some IFR, home base is a Class A airspace, and occasionally fly into peripheral airports in Class B.
THANKS. Coaching appreciated.
—dan

should I replace the Transponder with a newer unit like the Garmin 335? Or will a working GTX327 suffice, since it has a working tailbeacon system.
If you're flying internationally, or above 18,000 you'll need a 1090Mhz ADSB out solution like a 335, otherwise save yourself some money and keep the GTX327.

I think what you have (327 + tailbeacon) is what flight schools do for compliance. So, I think OK. But did you consider the GNX 375? All-in-one WAAS GPS navigator + transponder ADS-B in and out. Will integrate with any future "glass" like G5.

Looked at the GNX375... but for this airplane... and the bucks... think the GPS175, GTX327/tail beacon for ADS-B, will get me WAAS approaches, and ADS-B out... probably best bang for the buck.
I'm mostly worried about the tail beacon — but I guess they're doing the job.
thanks for the help!
dan

I much prefer a 1090ES transponder for ADS-B. Any smart flight school or club would do the same. With 1090, you can track every flight on FlightAware or FlightRadar24. I have 2 planes that are often flown by other people. I get a notification on my iPad any time either of them flies, and I can see where they go and where they have been. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I’m currently putting together a new panel for my ‘53. 430w, and two G5’s. Keeping the narco transponder, why? Because it works and I have it, also, if it craps out I can pick up another one for $150 or less and slide it in the rack. The tail beacon satisfies the requirement, and doesn’t weigh much, it’s also easy to remove should I choose to.

If it's a new plane, I'd fly it a year and get past the first annual before planning upgrades ... your pre-buy might not have caught everything:eek:

GTX-375 for the win! Especially if you want GPS as well. Nice to have traffic/weather/iPad connectivity on the panel. Good used market for Tail Beacon units.

I'd dump all of that old radio stuff, install 1 Val-Com 2000. and 1 transponder (ADS-B complaint) and good intercom.
clean it up, lighten it up.
all old wiring problems go away.

Last edited:
I also have an A model (a '58). My panel consists of a PS Engineering PAR200B, a KX155 w/o GS, and a Stratus ESG that I've got my Stratus 3 plugged in to. My 182 has beautiful original paint, and part of the reason that I went with the Stratus transponder instead of the uAvionix product is because it'd have driven me nuts to have that out of place thing on my wingtip or tail cone. That being said, I really like the Stratus, and I'd buy it again.

I’m still digging my GPS-175 & dual G5’s they installed during the August annual. I have a late SN KX-155, didn’t need a radio.

Back