Upgrade from 3rd to 2nd/1st class medical question

• Thread starter Anon medical upgrader
  • Start date
A

Anon medical upgrader

I'll try to keep this short - I have a 3rd class medical and have had it for several years now. Was issued the medical in the AME's office after reporting on 18v a dui from back in 1999. Never had to submit any documentation or paperwork to the FAA. A month or so after being issued my first 3rd class medical, I got one of those letters from the FAA saying that my medical was approved, but any subsequent offenses would/could result in loss of privileges and denial of medical. The letter said to answer yes to 18v and to put "previously reported, no change" and to reference the ID number found on the letter. Someone on this forum said this was a nice letter to have and to make several copies of it because it meant the FAA wouldn't come knocking asking for anything else regarding the past offense as long as I didn't get any other violations (and I haven't in 20+ years and never will).

Question is this - am I playing with fire if I try to upgrade my third class medical to a second or first class medical? Or will that letter still be valid and I can still put "previously reported, no change" and reference the ID and the AME will be able to issue the second or first class medical in the office? And, if he can issue in the office, will the FAA come back and possibly deny the upgraded medical even though they sent a letter saying basically don't get any more violations and keep referencing this letter?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any advice folks may have.

I see zero problems upgrading if you have been a “clean” all this time. Just follow the instructions of your “golden ticket” letter on future applications.

And bring a copy to give to the AME in case he/she needs it for the file and submission.

You don’t really even need the letter. If the AME has learned how to use the “previously marked” sheet, he’ll see it there……

…..but the critical item is “no second event”.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back