Updating King KLN90B

coloradobluesky

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
coloradobluesky
We're trying to update a King KLN 90B in a plane that is to be sold, so it's a one time update. We don't have any cables etc and our laptops don't have floppy drives (do have DVD though). Any guidance on how to do this? I even took it to an avionics shop and he didn't do it, not sure why, he fixed some other stuff and said "it needs to be set up for downloads and it isn't, come back some other time" (thanks a lot pal). Anyway, how does one do this?

data cartridge plugs into the back of the unit - I think a one time update cartridge can be ordered as an exchange through King.

i used to have a KLN90B and I could update it with a special cable. You could seek out someone who has the cable. Hopefully yours has been wired with the data jack to accept that cable. Without it, you will have to do the cartridge and I am not sure if that is even supported any longer.

If you have the installation manual and the pinout, make a connector (computer-style d-sub) with the wiring, pull the KLN90 and do the update at home. Requires minor electronic knowledge. Did so with my KLN89, similar pinout.

What's it installed in? In the club I used to belong to (now defunct sadly) we had two C-172Rs. They actually had the cable installed a routed to a plug between the seats if I recall correctly. You still need a computer with an RS-232 port but not pulling of the unit was required.

John

When I had my 90B, that's how I did the updates, they mailed me a new one and I sent the old one back! :D

data cartridge plugs into the back of the unit - I think a one time update cartridge can be ordered as an exchange through King.

When I had my 90B, that's how I did the updates, they mailed me a new one and I sent the old one back! :D

I did it for a year then bought a 430w...much easier with the data cards and online data.

Just looked. One time update for the 90B is just a little under $300 for cartridge exchange. Ouch.

Back