Updating a GPS Datacard -- How?

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
So our new plane has a panel mounted Garmin GNC 300XL, with a data card from, like, the 1860s in it. It doesn't have any of our local airports in correctly, as they have changed identifiers in the last 5 years.

I want to buy a new one with the most current database. Incredibly, despite a plethora of Googling, I find myself at a dead end. There seems to be no way to update this card without buying a card read/writer, and doing it myself over the internet.

This seems insane, so I must be missing something obvious. Isn't there someone selling these cards for the GNC 300XL? I update our Garmin 496 every year at OSH by simply buying a new card.

Is it a plain vanilla SD card?

I have your solution...PM coming your way...But first I gotta finish dinner...

Is it a plain vanilla SD card?

It appears to be.

But I don't want to screw around with manually updating a blank card -- I just want to buy a card once a year, with the data preloaded. I'm not seeing anyone selling them.

The Garmin cards I've used for the430/530 and W series have been proprietary.They can be obtained for around $125. If your local avionics shop still has a card writer for an older box, they might be able to re-program your card, usually costing around $75.00. If your box has such an old database, there probably have been a number of software revisions that have taken place in the interim, assuming it's still supported at all by Garmin.

The Garmin cards I've used for the430/530 and W series have been proprietary.They can be obtained for around $125. If your local avionics shop still has a card writer for an older box, they might be able to re-program your card, usually costing around $75.00. If your box has such an old database, there probably have been a number of software revisions that have taken place in the interim, assuming it's still supported at all by Garmin.

Actually, it appears to still be fully supported by Garmin, amazingly.

I don't care for the unit much -- the buttonology is frustrating, and the moving map is just wire frame -- but it does a fine job of driving our autopilot, so I shan't complain!
:D

For everything else, the Nexus 7 running Garmin Pilot is a bazillion times better.

Yup, sure do.

Boy, did I feel like an idiot with that unit in the panel at first, with my CFI in the back hole. Half the time I couldn't figure out how to tune the damned radio, and the other half I couldn't figure out how to select a destination. (The expired data card that didn't even have our home airport in it didn't make it any less exciting, either.)

Throw in learning to fly a high performance, aerobatic, tandem airplane, and, wow, task saturation was sure fun. :D

It's better now, and I can make the unit do what I want, mostly, but I still don't like the thing much.

The Jeppesen Skybound G2 USB adapter that programs the 430/530 series is the same one for the 300 XL. Know any friends with a 430/530 that has one of these? They should be able to program your card for you or perhaps loan it to you.

The Jeppesen Skybound G2 USB adapter that programs the 430/530 series is the same one for the 300 XL. Know any friends with a 430/530 that has one of these? They should be able to program your card for you or perhaps loan it to you.

And, thanks to PofA, that's EXACTLY what just happened. :D

The Jeppesen Skybound G2 USB adapter that programs the 430/530 series is the same one for the 300 XL.
The adapter might be the same but I believe the databases are incompatible. It appears that only the 155/165/300 series databases are compatible with each other.

Last edited:
Let me see if I have my olde tyme Jepp USB updater with the 3 choices for cards -

I'll check back in shortly. . . if I find it.

UPDATE:
If the op wants to get a second generic card - and send it to me and set up an account at Jepp - and send me the account # and password- I'm happy to get him a new DB every 6 months or so - and swap cards. At least for a couple of years here to give him a chance to find an old Jepp programmer - eBay or where ever. Those are not SD cards BTW. . last I don't think so.

Let me see if I have my olde tyme Jepp USB updater with the 3 choices for cards -

I'll check back in shortly. . . if I find it.

UPDATE:
If the op wants to get a second generic card - and send it to me and set up an account at Jepp - and send me the account # and password- I'm happy to get him a new DB every 6 months or so - and swap cards. At least for a couple of years here to give him a chance to find an old Jepp programmer - eBay or where ever. Those are not SD cards BTW. . last I don't think so.

Thanks, but Tim is selling me a new card. Problem solved!

Back