Updating a Garmin 530w

Einstein376

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jim K.
I have been waiting to update the 530W in my plane until I was going to use the GPS for IFR flights.

Well, I have started working on my rating, so I purchased the subscription from JeppDirect for the data update for my G530W unit and downloaded the data to the IRFW data card.

However. I do not see the option to add the TAWS/Terrain data? I purchased the WAAS Data Eat/Central USA.

Did I miss a step???

Thanks,

Jim

Depends on what package you purchased. It probably follows the same logic as my GTN series database. The legal required update is the Nav data. Obstacles, terrain, safe taxi, etc. are add-ons to the basic subscription. They are also not required to be current for the unit to be IFR legal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check the options on the plans you can purchase. Then purchase what you need.

With a 530W the subscription for the obstacle & terrain databases are separate from the Navdata database. You purchase them from Garmin (FlyGarmin), not Jeppesen. They go on a separate and incompatible memory card (the rightmost one looking at the face of the instrument) and they require a different burner than the one used to burn the Navdata card. The Terrain/Obstacle burner is sold by Garmin for about $200.

Terrain is rarely updated. Obstacles are updated every 56 days (IIRC). I update my obstacle data about once per year. See if you can find someone who has a burner and offer them a few bucks to use theirs. Or share the cost of the burner with others who need to update their databases.

Thanks - this information answered my questions. I should of known the updating involved two accounts and paying twice :(

Happy 4th,

Jim

Thanks - this information answered my questions. I should of known the updating involved two accounts and paying twice :(

Happy 4th,

Jim

I believe you can buy it all from Jepp. I buy my gtn nav updates from Jepp and I believe I saw an option for the other databases to be bundled together with my nav updates. See if you can login and update your subscription with the updates you want. If that doesnt work, I would give Jepp a call.

I believe you can buy it all from Jepp. I buy my gtn nav updates from Jepp and I believe I saw an option for the other databases to be bundled together with my nav updates. See if you can login and update your subscription with the updates you want. If that doesnt work, I would give Jepp a call.

Works for GTN, not GNS430W/530W.

Back