Updates on my Plane Hitchhiking: 11 States Down, 39 to Go!

JetHikingGypsy

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
JetHikingGypsy
Yep, I'm still at it! I've hitchhiked on airplanes to 11 states so I still have a ways to go to reach 50!

I'm over on the West Coast now, just spent some time in Montana (Glacier National Park), and landed in Seattle yesterday. Glacier was unreal (and I'm not much of a hiker). Next week (the 15th) I'm flying to Portland, and after that I have no idea. California maybe? A few of you have already offered to help me out if I can make it there :)

As for the TV series, the production team is negotiating with a couple of interested sponsors..so it's in the works. In the meantime, I'm loving every minute of this adventure! There is more info about the TV show and blog updates on the Jethiking.com site. I also added a map that shows where I've been since I had a few people suggest that.

If any of you West Coasters don't mind me tagging along on an upcoming trip, let me know!

Blue skies!
Amber

Keep us posted.

You get to SFO area, I bet Kim will take you on a flight...

Yes, she offered already. :) I'm trying to get there!

Keep us posted.

You get to SFO area, I bet Kim will take you on a flight...

Spike, how did you guess that?

Amber, call me at 7 0 7 7 9 9 6 3 1 4 cell phone. I can't afford much so it would just be a short local flight, not sure if I could really take you anywhere other than in circles.

It would still be super fun. Have you been flown by a girl captain or pilot yet?

Nope. You would be the first! I've had a couple other women offer to take me up but I haven't made it to their states yet. I'm still in Portland right now....trying to head your way soon. I'll call you! :)

If I were you, I would remove your phone number from your post and send it via PM before some nutcase starts a phone conversation or two you really don't want. :hairraise:

Not that there are any nutcases on this board. :lol:

Cheers

If I were you, I would remove your phone number from your post and send it via PM before some nutcase starts a phone conversation or two you really don't want. :hairraise:

Cheers

You got it backwards, she IS the nutcase and is baiting victims....:yes::lol::eek:

Good point.....we hear all about these "Bay Tours"....but has anyone ever heard of anybody coming back from one??? :dunno:

Dude, Troy just posted a video of our Bay Tour which INCLUDED the landing.

On Saturday I went flying and my airport buddy requested a Bay Tour (as did a student pilot in my class).

I would say I am Bay Tour'd out but I'm not. I get to fly over islands and crescent beaches and skyscrapers and Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge.... what is there to complain about?

Cheers

I've been posting my number on this site for two years when needed since I never know who checks PM's or whatever.

Note the spaces in between the numbers which usually stop the internet robots from grabbing it, though I'm not sure anymore.

Nope. You would be the first! I've had a couple other women offer to take me up but I haven't made it to their states yet. I'm still in Portland right now....trying to head your way soon. I'll call you! :)

Cool, let me know, the weather is starting to get crappy around here and my schedule is starting to get a bit odd. Believe it or not I go to pilot meetings and even pilot classes on weeknights and fly / go to airports on weekends or hunt or camp or whatever.... so hopefully when you end up here it all works out!

Our plans were so perfect, almost.

The plan (this was last weekend and did NOT happen):

She would get a flight on Friday from a part of Oregon to a part of California.

She would then take a train overnight and end up in my area on Saturday morning.

She would get settled in and then I would pick her up for a yummy dim sum breakfast (she has no car).

We would then tour the area and eventually end up at my airport for a Sunset flight.

Unfortunately, her pilot in Oregon could not fly her due to weather concerns and therefore she was delayed in getting to California by a day or two and I think ended up on a bus or a train and not a plane.

So we still have not met. I hope to meet her within the next few weeks if our schedules can ever line up!

In her place, I offered a student from my Private Pilot Ground School Class the opportunity to fly instead. He brought his wife and we had a blast, this man has not even scheduled his discovery flight yet so he was very enthusiastic.

Here is what our jet hiking gypsy missed (unfortunately) on Sunday:

FXsEa.jpg

Absolutely beautiful! You're lucky to have that in your backyard.

Make sure to let us know when you make it to the Northeast.

If you make it to Texas give me a shout. seems like about once a week I'm out of state and I could get you somewhere.

So we met her (Mari was in town) for dinner.

Flight as mentioned above was canceled but we rescheduled for this weekend.

Problem is not all my weekends are free and she is now working in the area to earn some travel money so not all her weekends are free!

Fingers crossed for this weekend but rumor is there are two epic storms coming (8 inches of rain).

Contemplating going to the airport anyways (if it isn't pouring) to just see the airplanes and eat airport food.

Kimberly

Very cool meeting Kim and Amber almost in my (other) neighborhood for dinner. Hope you guys get your flight in this weekend!

Very cool meeting Kim and Amber almost in my (other) neighborhood for dinner. Hope you guys get your flight in this weekend!

You've met me before silly.

And the reason we are scheduling this weekend is because she is only here for a short time. If it doesn't work out I'll try to do it when you are here again.

You've met me before silly.

And the reason we are scheduling this weekend is because she is only here for a short time. If it doesn't work out I'll try to do it when you are here again.
Haha, maybe I should have written "re-meeting Kim and meeting Amber". :D

I'm still planning to be there the weekend of December 15-16.

Haha, maybe I should have written "re-meeting Kim and meeting Amber". :D

I'm still planning to be there the weekend of December 15-16.

Which would still be perfect for me. Heck maybe I should have Santa visit early and just fly both times. I have a lot nicer planes now since the last time I flew with you. You will like them.

Bay Tours never get old, stay west of 101 out over my house, up along the coast and right over the Golden Gate! doesnt get much better than that!

Glad Amber was able to get her Bay Tour!

Enjoy the updates, Amber, and kudos to you, Kim, for your exceptional hospitality and unmatched enthusiasm.

Looking forward to Amber's Texas swing.

I took that photo of her in the Piper while I sat in the backseat. She is looking out over the Bay Area.

Enjoy the updates, Amber, and kudos to you, Kim, for your exceptional hospitality and unmatched enthusiasm.

Looking forward to Amber's Texas swing.

That was an amazing day. That little diner near the runway was literally full of people. Not only did the man (pilot) at the table next to us ask if I was a pilot and strike up a conversation - but two tables away this woman with her husband said to me "you make me want to be a pilot talking about all that fun you have up there." I told her about Young Eagles and she has a Cub Scout group. They aren't old enough yet but will be within 2 years. I told her and her husband how to start flying lessons.

She seemed so excited that we could fly the kids for free and I hope she looks up the details online.

Great day!

Oh and that guy with the Piper was just standing around, insisted that we go on a Bay Tour with him (to save me the money). We did but I felt pretty bad about the last minute cancel with my flight school. That and this was our third attempt to fly - so literally my third canceled reservation.

To compensate, and since the Jet Hiker doesn't have any female pilots yet - we landed and I took her up for the world's shortest flight around the pattern and surrounding area. She got pretty good at taxi'ing and even tried a shallow bank! I gave her one of my rubber duckies who will now travel with her.

Back