Updated test prep

TexasAviation

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TexasAviation
As I understand it, the FAA test for instrument pilots just got overhauled.

Since I'm about ready to start working on my IR, does it make sense to wait a bit for the test prep companies (King Schools et. al.) to update their materials for the new test before I buy? Or does it really matter?

I see the FAA has posted their new sample exam here:

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/IRASampleExam.pdf

Having just taken a pile of the tests, I'd say if you're scoring well (90's) on practice tests with old material, and understand it, you'll certainly pass. Or you can wait. The stuff they're testing hasn't changed, just the emphasis on certain topics.

As I understand it, the FAA test for instrument pilots just got overhauled.

Since I'm about ready to start working on my IR, does it make sense to wait a bit for the test prep companies (King Schools et. al.) to update their materials for the new test before I buy? Or does it really matter?

I see the FAA has posted their new sample exam here:

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/IRASampleExam.pdf

Go to www.asa2fly.com. Under the Resources tab, select Updates, then FAA Knowledge Wxams. You do not hve to wait for a printed book.

Bob Gardner

If you're interested in the SheppardAir product, call them. Each time I reached out to them by phone, I got a prompt response from a very knowledgeable individual, and once by the owner of the company himself. They were extremely helpful.

They are also very responsive to emails.

And while you're reading Bob's response, consider purchasing his "Complete Advanced Pilot" book. It is a very good textbook for things Instrument and Commercial pilot. A definite worth having in your aviation library.

My written lapsed 5/31 as I couldn't get my Checkride done in May. (Day of scheduled ride low ceilings and DPE booked solid until 6/9 and had a medical issue). Got ASA prep book and started refreshing. Took new exam 6/17 apparently after they changed it 6/15. Got a 92.

Heavy, heavy emphasis on approach plates. No adf, ndb, or ETE questions on my exam. Lots of GPS questions, including two I had never seen. And no they weren't "testing the test" questions as I only had 60 questions.

ASA book was good, but download their updates. I didn't waste time with areas known to be taken off test. On the 5 practice exams that came with the ASA book I got an 86, three 88s and a92. On average I finished them in 25-35 minutes. On the real exam it took me 45 minutes with the 92 noted above.

Last edited:
Back