Update

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
Spending all day Saturday with my CFII, will be going over holds and I will practice ILS as it has been over 2 weeks.

Will try to do re-ride on Sunday. FWIW, new DPE said he will ask me a few questions and do a hold and ILS. He is charging me 1/2 his normal rate as "we don't have much to do". He does want to check my log and IACRA etc.

Best of luck! I'm betting you knock it out of the park and write the original ride off to nerves and being mentally drained by the time the 430 work got you.

I'm on the other side of the spectrum. Had my first IFR ground school yesterday with my CFI. Felt like I was drinking from a fire hose. At least I'll get the "Six T's" memorized fairly quickly. LOL

Best of luck! I'm betting you knock it out of the park and write the original ride off to nerves and being mentally drained by the time the 430 work got you.

I'm on the other side of the spectrum. Had my first IFR ground school yesterday with my CFI. Felt like I was drinking from a fire hose. At least I'll get the "Six T's" memorized fairly quickly. LOL

It is a firehose. If you fly using a GPS or autopilot, really learn the boxes before your training.

It is a firehose. If you fly using a GPS or autopilot, really learn the boxes before your training checkride.
FTFY :D

Not trying to rub it in or be snarky, so to clarify: my point is that a modern GPS like the 430 has many capabilities the purpose of which you may not fully understand until you're well into your training. You're very likely to be learning the box's quirks and subtleties as you go along in training.

Of course, it should go without saying that you should have mastered it by the time of your ride. If not, you risk what happened to me -- which shows to go you, there is no guarantee that your DPE will find your weakness. You may pass and still be surprised by what it does in IMC some time.

FTFY :D

Not trying to rub it in or be snarky, so to clarify: my point is that a modern GPS like the 430 has many capabilities the purpose of which you may not fully understand until you're well into your training. You're very likely to be learning the box's quirks and subtleties as you go along in training.

Of course, it should go without saying that you should have mastered it by the time of your ride. If not, you risk what happened to me -- which shows to go you, there is no guarantee that your DPE will find your weakness. You may pass and still be surprised by what it does in IMC some time.

Having transitioned from years of flying ILS/VOR approaches to WAAS GPS technology, I found the transition a bit challenging -- even with a good instructor onboard.

The new boxes hold a lot of technology and it took me hours on the simulator to get the "flow" down. Even with all of that pre-work on the simulator, it still took me a solid 10 hours in the plane to get comfortable. The new boxes are great, but a bit more complicated than "tune frequency, hit ID, get Morse, twist and fly".

Having transitioned from years of flying ILS/VOR approaches to WAAS GPS technology, I found the transition a bit challenging -- even with a good instructor onboard.

The new boxes hold a lot of technology and it took me hours on the simulator to get the "flow" down. Even with all of that pre-work on the simulator, it still took me a solid 10 hours in the plane to get comfortable. The new boxes are great, but a bit more complicated than "tune frequency, hit ID, get Morse, twist and fly".

Yup. Obviously concur there.....:mad2:

That's awesome that a different DPE isn't making you do the whole thing over again! Best of luck!

Back