Update on Lance crash at BJC

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
The pilot of the Lance that crashed at Jeffco on Thursday, Dick Wagner, died from his injuries on Friday. Our prayers for the family and friends that he leaves behind.

Scuttlebutt is that there was a sudden wind reversal and shear. Traffic was landing to the west with winds variable at about 6 knots, I'm told, when it suddenly reversed from the east at nearly 50 knots as Dick was making his approach. I was told "It just quit flying. It hit hard enough to drive the main mounts up thru the wings, rupturing the fuel tanks, which most likely caused the fire."

As I noted in the other post, I flew this Lance last fall when checking out the club as a prospective member. It was a sobering sight to see the burned out hulk leaving the airport on the truck.

Fair winds and following seas, Dick Wagner.

Last edited:
Saddened by the loss. Jeffco has some of the gnarliest winds in the world. One winter Stevens Avaition's personnel were chasing my torn off Kennon wing covers down the ramp. The wind broke my gust lock, which was in the a/c clamped around my pedals and yoke.

I always land FAST there.

bbchien said:
Jeffco has some of the gnarliest winds in the world. One winter Stevens Avaition's personnel were chasing my torn off Kennon wing covers down the ramp. The wind broke my gust lock, which was in the a/c clamped around my pedals and yoke.

I always land FAST there.

Yep. Many reports of airplanes getting flipped, damaged or destroyed at Jeffco due to the winds. My thoughts to the pilot's family and friends.

bbchien said:
I always land FAST there (BJC).
My neighbor, a retired UAL Captain, and I were talking about this yesterday. He and I both said the same thing - carry a little extra speed into Jeffco - there's plenty of runway. But there's no way one would carry an extra 50 knots of speed on final to counteract that shear last week.

Last edited:
Back