Update: Mustang Island Fly-In September 17 - 19

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Okay, here's the plan for our Mustang Island Fly-In, in Port Aransas, Texas:

Friday, 9/17
Arrivals throughout the day. Mary and I will come fetch you at the airport, and bring you to the motel. Call my cell phone (319-331-7395) when you get here.

6 PM
Cookout! Mary and I will be whipping up a Mustang Island cookout of fresh seafood, served at poolside. Come hungry!

8 PM
Drinking. Weather permitting, this will be at poolside. Inclement weather alternate: Port A Brewery.

Flying stories shall be swapped. Tall tales and lies of all sorts are to be expected.

Saturday, 9/18
Morning
We deliver continental breakfast to your room each morning, so you're probably set until lunch.

Mid-morning
Beach time! You're on your own until 12:30 PM. Now is the time to soak your toes in the bath-warm waters of the Gulf. Stroll the miles of beaches. Go body surfing. Get a sunburn. Most of all -- RELAX.

12:30 PM Charter Fishing
We will walk/drive to the dolphin docks, where we will depart on a 4-hour fishing charter. Cost: $45/person. Commonly caught fish include grouper, snapper, kingfish, and shark. They will clean your catch (for a fee), and we've got a big chest freezer at the motel, so with any luck you'll have some fresh ocean fish to take home with you!

5:30 - 7 PM Cleanup/Rest time
All that fresh air is going to have tired us out, so we've got 90 minutes to shower, relax, and freshen up.

7:30 PM
Dinner at...I'm not sure yet. Right now, we've got a total of 15 people. If the group stays that small, we've got our choice of any of a dozen great restaurants. If the group grows, we will be limited to the larger restaurants. It's pay as you go for dinner -- but don't worry, prices on the island are very reasonable for a resort area.

Suffice it to say that you won't go hungry...

9 PM
Pub crawl! We'll start at the Gaff (where everyone talks like a pirate -- this is the home of belt sander racing!) for a couple, go across the street to the Wild Horse Saloon (buckets of peanuts; shells on the floor), and end up at the Port Aransas Brewery, for some of their fresh lagers and ales.

Because we'll never be more than 6 blocks from the motel, folks can break off and head home at any point, so don't worry about being "trapped" in a pub crawl! If you're tired, or had enough to drink, it's an easy crawl, er, walk back to your room.

Sunday, 9/19
Departures. Breakfast will be in your room again. Checkout isn't until 11 AM (and we'll stretch it till noon for y'all), so there's no rush.

Nothing is planned for this day. Head to the beach again, if you'd like. Rent a jet ski. Borrow one of our bikes. Lay at the pool. Above all else, RELAX! You're on the island, mon, and nothing here happens quickly.

When you need a ride to your plane, let us know.

That's it! Three days of absolutely ZERO stress. No seminars. No vendors. Just beach, booze, camaraderie, sunshine, and relaxation. :cheerswine:

If you have any questions, post them here -- or contact me off-group at HarborInnPortA@gmail.com

Been there, highly recommended. Wish I could go again, now.

And never come home.

Well my two folks from OKC can't make it that weekend. Who wants to load up in the Cherokee and head down there from OK? :D

Been there, highly recommended. Wish I could go again, now.

And never come home.

Ahem. There's something stopping you? :cheerswine:

Git thy butt to Mustang Island, pronto! (And this time, let's do a cookout!)

Ahem. There's something stopping you? :cheerswine:

Git thy butt to Mustang Island, pronto! (And this time, let's do a cookout!)

Sadly 'nuff, there is.

But you never know...

Sounds like a good time Jay - absolutely no way I'll be able to make it though. Sigh. Maybe another time.

Sadly 'nuff, there is.

But you never know...

They need lawyers on the island....

Best law office I ever saw was a nice building with a pier out back on Currituck Sound in NC. Almost made me want to be a lawyer...

I'm looking forward to it.

It'll be great just to get out of yard work for a while!

Wish it wasn't 1000nm away. Can't figure out why anyone would bother with Gastons when they have you there. Some day, when I have either more time or a much faster airplane...

Wish it wasn't 1000nm away. Can't figure out why anyone would bother with Gastons when they have you there. Some day, when I have either more time or a much faster airplane...

Hey -- Gaston's is a cool place to fly, too! I love that little strip, although trying to lift the plane with my butt-muscles on departure is somewhat tiring... :goofy:

I flew there with my son a few years ago. We had a great time, although -- not being big fishermen -- we quickly ran out off things to do. It was a great weekend, though! (Now, said son is away at college, living his own life...)

Gastons is a great location for a lot of the folks that go there. I don't see it going away.

As much fun as Jay's place sounds - it's a long ways for a rental pilot like me. Hopefully I'll make it there anyways someday :)

Oops, said the wrong thing. I was mostly referring to the treatment from the owners, who have been described as being less than enthusiastic that the fly-in crowd choose their establishment, versus Jay, who is the soul of hospitality.

Oops, said the wrong thing. I was mostly referring to the treatment from the owners, who have been described as being less than enthusiastic that the fly-in crowd choose their establishment, versus Jay, who is the soul of hospitality.
For the most part - the staff at Gastons have always bent over backwards for us providing anything we've requested.

We've had issues with the restaurant but that's it. Even then the issues only arise when we all go in there at once.

For the most part - the staff at Gastons have always bent over backwards for us providing anything we've requested.

We've had issues with the restaurant but that's it. Even then the issues only arise when we all go in there at once.

*cough* weather cancellation policy *cough* - although I do not know what Jay's is either.

Edit:
Gaston's:
<TWO WEEKS prior - loss of deposit.
>15 days - they still keep $50.00

Jay's:
72 hours.

Which one is more pilot friendly?

Last edited:
I seem to recall from Jay's other postings that at his other place he had a weather cancellation policy that got you off the hook if you were flying in. I just looked and it says you can cancel for weather up to 6:00pm without charge. Don't know if he is going to use the same policy in texas but would guess so.

Sounds like a hoot, Jay. I could use some nice chillaxing. I would really enjoy the off-shore fishing trip!!

Can't make it there this year, but I will be trying to steer my family's annual vacation to your place next summer!

I have had really good luck with hotels when I tell them I'm flying in, both with rates and cancellation policies. I may have received a false impression from things posted. I would still love to make Jay's do, and hopefully will some day. I've never taken the aircraft to Texas.

I have had really good luck with hotels when I tell them I'm flying in, both with rates and cancellation policies. I may have received a false impression from things posted. I would still love to make Jay's do, and hopefully will some day. I've never taken the aircraft to Texas.

Just FYI guys -- yes, for individuals flying their own aircraft in, we do our "IFR cancellation policy", which means you can cancel right up till 6 PM the day of arrival if conditions drop below VFR minimums along your route of flight.

For the fly-in, we're not able to do that, since there are so many fly-in guests that bad weather could wipe the whole weekend for us. However, we will issue "rain checks" to those who get weathered out. In other words, you'll still pay for the stay if you must cancel due to weather, but you'll receive a certificate for a future stay of equal value.

That's the best I can do when a group is taking nearly the whole motel! :cheerswine:

Just a few of things of note for those who are coming to the Mustang Island Fly-In this weekend:

1. Fishing Charter If you don't want to go on the fishing charter ($45/person) speak up NOW! We have to let them know by Thursday what our final, locked-in number is.

2. Bring a hat! The strength of the sun here is extraordinary, even in September. If you are, uh, "hair challenged" like me, it's especially important. It's just like Oshkosh here -- hot and humid. Dress accordingly.

3. SUNSCREEN If you haven't been out on the water, you will be surprised how you will get sun burnt from BELOW, as the sun reflects off the water. Bathe in SPF 30 (or better) sunscreen. The spray on aerosol stuff is best.

4. COOLER If you're planning to spend time at the beach, bring a cooler full of drinks. The sun and wind will dehydrate you in a flash, and there aren't a lot of vendors on the beach.

5. Bug spray I haven't noticed any mosquitos -- yet -- but we had a lot of rain here a week ago during that tropical storm. That usually translates into a day or two of mosquitos, before they all die again. Best to be prepared.

Obviously you can buy all this stuff on the island, but if you've got it, you may as well bring it.

We've still got some availability for the weekend, so if you're "on the fence" about coming, call us at 888-671-8088.

We're looking forward to a fun weekend that will become an annual event!

Just a few of things of note for those who are coming to the Mustang Island Fly-In this weekend:

1. Fishing Charter If you don't want to go on the fishing charter ($45/person) speak up NOW! We have to let them know by Thursday what our final, locked-in number is.

2. Bring a hat! The strength of the sun here is extraordinary, even in September. If you are, uh, "hair challenged" like me, it's especially important. It's just like Oshkosh here -- hot and humid. Dress accordingly.

3. SUNSCREEN If you haven't been out on the water, you will be surprised how you will get sun burnt from BELOW, as the sun reflects off the water. Bathe in SPF 30 (or better) sunscreen. The spray on aerosol stuff is best.

4. COOLER If you're planning to spend time at the beach, bring a cooler full of drinks. The sun and wind will dehydrate you in a flash, and there aren't a lot of vendors on the beach.

5. Bug spray I haven't noticed any mosquitos -- yet -- but we had a lot of rain here a week ago during that tropical storm. That usually translates into a day or two of mosquitos, before they all die again. Best to be prepared.

Obviously you can buy all this stuff on the island, but if you've got it, you may as well bring it.

We've still got some availability for the weekend, so if you're "on the fence" about coming, call us at 888-671-8088.

We're looking forward to a fun weekend that will become an annual event!

Well, after searching and searching I have been unable to find someone to fly down there with me and it's just too big of an expense to fly by myself. Sorry man, I was looking forward to it.

Awww... there are just not enough weekends on the calendar to do everything I would like! The same thing happened to me on Labor Day weekend when I went in the opposite direction from all the action here. My last trip to Texas was to Galveston Island where my scrapbook friends and I rented a house and had a wonderful long weekend at the beach. I would go back again in that direction anytime! Have fun at Jay's everyone! :)

I use scrapbook paper to make origami boxes and and origami bowls. Good stuff.

Okay, here's the Final Call for our Mustang Island Fly-In this weekend. There is still room to join us, if you wish!

Here are the details that were missing from previous updates:

1. Fishing Charter Saturday.
We have 13 people scheduled to go out on the deep sea fishing charter on Saturday from 1 - 5 PM. Cost is $45 per person, and the charter folks provide everything except beer. (Soft drinks are available on board for $1 per drink.)

We have chest freezer space for your catch (which is most often Kingfish, Red Snapper, tuna, grouper, or shark), so you can take some "Fishsicles" home with you... :cheerswine:

2. Dinner Saturday Night
We have reserved the back room at "Pelican's Landing", an excellent seafood restaurant near the motel. (IMHO they have the best crab-stuffed grouper I've ever had, and their shrimp embrochette is to die for.) We will just order off the menu (entree prices range from $9 to $23) -- or, if you happen to catch something yummy on the charter, this restaurant will cook your catch for you!

The weather is predicted to be typical for this time of year -- popcorn thunderstorms -- so y'all be careful flying in.

Wish I could join in; sounds like fun. I'm going to be down in San Antonio in a couple of weeks, but sans plane. Maybe I can rent something, get checked out in it, and drop on down for a day, but I doubt it. :no:

Wish I could join in; sounds like fun. I'm going to be down in San Antonio in a couple of weeks, but sans plane. Maybe I can rent something, get checked out in it, and drop on down for a day, but I doubt it. :no:

Well, after weeks of beautiful VFR, we spent most of the day...under still more beautiful VFR skies. Trouble was, it wasn't so pretty on the mainland...

2dinlmb.png

And then, the rain hit the island:
20zeav9.jpg

Anyone who flew in made it in early Friday, before the rain. Two Cherokees, a Baron, a couple of drive-ins, and a couple who flew in on Southwest made it to the island. Everyone else got stranded or stuck on the ground en route.

Because it was raining to beat the band, we did a cook-IN tonight, instead of a poolside cook out. Here are a couple of pix from this evening:
107p9xf.jpg

211j4mc.jpg

Dinner was fresh shrimp (brought in on the boat this morning), pork tenderloins, and plenty of great Texas beer. Mmmmmmm.... :cheerswine:

Rain or no rain, we're having a great time, and we're still planning to do the fishing charter tomorrow -- with our "bad weather alternate" being a tour of the USS Lexington. If you want a join us -- and the weather clears -- we've still got room, so c'mon to the island!

Ohh, man. That was one good dinner we had waiting for us on Friday. Couldn't eat out at the pool, though.

I did toss in a couple pictures (we just got home after staying a couple extra days).

--

The flooded area is the parking lot exit on the back side of Jay's place. This was Sunday afternoon/evening. All three groups that flew in were able to get enough of a break to make it out early that day, then the rains really hit.

At least Jay's place didn't blow up from a gas leak like another place did while we were there.

Since flying myself down there was over my head, we ended up on SWA. Got to ride Shamu today.

Attachments

• Back_driveway.jpg
    Back_driveway.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 26
  • blown_up_sir.jpg
    blown_up_sir.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 22
  • shamu.jpg
    shamu.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 23
And after providing them with up-dated head counts through noon of the day of the event.

Ohh, man. That was one good dinner we had waiting for us on Friday. Couldn't eat out at the pool, though.

I did toss in a couple pictures (we just got home after staying a couple extra days).

--

The flooded area is the parking lot exit on the back side of Jay's place. This was Sunday afternoon/evening. All three groups that flew in were able to get enough of a break to make it out early that day, then the rains really hit.

At least Jay's place didn't blow up from a gas leak like another place did while we were there.

Since flying myself down there was over my head, we ended up on SWA. Got to ride Shamu today.

Thanks for coming, Matthew -- you and Joan were real troopers.

We received 12" of rain in a 24-hour period -- a new record for me. Not violent, no lightning -- just unbelievably heavy rain. It put the kibosh on most of our plans, but we still managed to have a good time.

And, really -- it (almost) never rains here! :rolleyes2:

Our next fly-in is scheduled for December 10 - 13. The weather WILL be perfect VFR, dammit -- and I hope to see some of you guys next time around! :cheerswine:

Plus, you can go visit a carrier. The USS Lexington aircraft carrier museum is along the Corpus Christi coast.

--

Jay, Mary - Thanks, we had a great time. Got to meet some good folks that were able to make it in also.

For anybody else that's thinking about it: It's a nice location in a nice town. And you can't go wrong (at least we haven't yet) with any of the restaurants. If you like seafood, there's not a Red Lobster within 100 miles! When the restaurant says "Catch of the Day", they mean that it came off the boat about 20 minutes ago. They also have "you catch it, we cook it" deals, too.

We'll do it again some time!

(Years ago, I spent a week in Eau Claire, WI in Feb. I changed my definition of "cold". Now, I have a new definition for "rain".))

Attachments

• lex.jpg
    lex.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 15
Back