Update from missing member

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
Hi guys.

I have not been active on these forums in quite a while and wanted to check in. I took up flying again in 2010 after a long 34-year hiatus and discovered this forum soon after. It was a great help in getting me up to speed after such a long break from aviation. So thanks!

My aviation adventure is ongoing! I took an early retirement from my "career" as a civil engineer in 2012, thinking I would work towards CFII. Instead, my Arrow II broke soon after I retired and I ended up spending almost three years getting my A&P. Did a bit of A&P work and a bit of flying in 2016 and 2017 but this year has really seen things take off, so to speak. Been working as a mechanic for a great guy since January. We are restoring a fleet of Beech 18's to fly Part 135 and the first one is about ready to take to the air. WooHoo! I am also gaining a rep on the field as a problem-solver and picking up some side work. Been doing a fair bit of sheetmetal work and have made some progress on getting my Arrow in the air again.

On the pilot side, finally finished my instrument rating a few weeks back and have started my commercial in a nice 2015 Cirrus SR20. Just because I can :) I can get that for a crazy low rate but it is hard to schedule so I am probably not going to do much beyond the five hours dual that I need to rent it solo. I will likely switch to a 182 to finish the commercial.

That is it for now. Clear skies, brothers!

John
alfadog (as in Alfa Romeo + dog)

IMG_20180313_115200399.jpg

Nice job! Welcome back.

I’d never want a missing member. :)

Good for you. Sounds like you are enjoying it.

Hi guys.

I have not been active on these forums in quite a while and wanted to check in. I took up flying again in 2010 after a long 34-year hiatus and discovered this forum soon after. It was a great help in getting me up to speed after such a long break from aviation. So thanks!

My aviation adventure is ongoing! I took an early retirement from my "career" as a civil engineer in 2012, thinking I would work towards CFII. Instead, my Arrow II broke soon after I retired and I ended up spending almost three years getting my A&P. Did a bit of A&P work and a bit of flying in 2016 and 2017 but this year has really seen things take off, so to speak. Been working as a mechanic for a great guy since January. We are restoring a fleet of Beech 18's to fly Part 135 and the first one is about ready to take to the air. WooHoo! I am also gaining a rep on the field as a problem-solver and picking up some side work. Been doing a fair bit of sheetmetal work and have made some progress on getting my Arrow in the air again.

On the pilot side, finally finished my instrument rating a few weeks back and have started my commercial in a nice 2015 Cirrus SR20. Just because I can :) I can get that for a crazy low rate but it is hard to schedule so I am probably not going to do much beyond the five hours dual that I need to rent it solo. I will likely switch to a 182 to finish the commercial.

That is it for now. Clear skies, brothers!

John
alfadog (as in Alfa Romeo + dog)

View attachment 67203

Dang dude, we been lookin all over the place for you. Next time file a flight plan or sumpin.:) Anyway, welcome back and congrats on your ratings.

With all that excitement going on I'm surprised you didn't share it here as it was happening.

No more ghosting and all is forgiven.

What I meant to say was "welcome back!"

I can't be the only one who thought of that King Missile song.

Nauga,
and the psychopathology of everyday life

More pictures of the 18s and you will be forgiven.

Tim

yea, what's the 18 story?

Back