Update for Garmin 396/496 with XM

poadeleted20

Deleted
If you have a GXM 30, GXM30A, GXM31, GXM40, or GXM 51 XM Antenna, then you must do a Mandatory Update to prevent your Garmin unit from locking up under certain XM Wx data transmissions.

Go to www.garmin.com/xm to get the usual Garmin update.

This applies only to the 496 and 396. It does not affect the Aera series.

Thanks to Phil Corman for alerting on this.

Is there some new "feature" in the XM broadcasts that is doing this, or is it just some latent bug that has been around for a while and somebody just noticed it. I am taking a trip this weekend and I am not going to have time to do this update before then. Is this something I need to panic about now even though I have had no problems with XM on my 496 for over two years now?

Is there some new "feature" in the XM broadcasts that is doing this, or is it just some latent bug that has been around for a while and somebody just noticed it. I am taking a trip this weekend and I am not going to have time to do this update before then. Is this something I need to panic about now even though I have had no problems with XM on my 496 for over two years now?

You're planning your flight in such a way that the handheld GPS could die and you could continue the flight with all required information at your fingertips, of course. ;)

Thanks Ron. Mine locked up on me a couple of weeks ago. Had to take out the battery to reboot it. Now I know why.

Back