Upcoming Oral & Sinus Surgery

FreqFlyrJr

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
LuckyLindy
So, not so much of an "am I legal to fly question," but a question none-the-less.

I'm having my wisdom teeth removed tomorrow. Three of the four are going to be routine in the removal. However, the fourth is stuck in my sinus cavity and they're going to have to do a sinus opening to get it out. I've been told I can't sneeze or blow my nose for two weeks or so.

My question is: have any of you had a sinus opening, and if so, how long until the doctor cleared you to fly or you felt well enough to fly again? I'm having this done tomorrow and am really looking forward to Sun n' Fun in two weeks. Is that cutting it too close?

Thanks!

Dang that sounds painful and I thought my oral surgery years ago for removing all four wisdom teeth was bad.

I woke up in the middle (apparently I'm not as sensitive as some to whatever they knocked me out with) to a Doc whaling on a hammer and chisel -- in my face -- I and I mean pounding on it. Swinging it like he was a roofer on a hot day who wanted to get done and get off the roof. Haha.

I heard someone say, "It looks like he's waking up..." and they apparently administered a bit more of Mr. Knockout drug and I went back to sleep so the Doc could finish whacking my face with a hammer.

My jaw on that side was sore for a couple of weeks. And I got a dry socket to go with that. And then got an intestinal infection brought on by the hefty antibiotics used for the surgery so I got to have a nice Friday night ER visit and take even heftier antibiotics.

It was a lovely month. Lost about 15 lbs, too, with an all liquid diet and then the infection right as I went back to solid food.

I did get enough time in one particular bathroom to notice a couple of tiles on the tub surround needed replacing, I threw up so much in it. Yeah. I learned pretty quick that tubs are easier to hit when projectile vomiting than toilets.

Hahaha now that I've scared you... My answer:

Like all surgery, it depends on how well and how fast you heal up without complications. I had, um... A lot of complications. For weeks. Ha.

It's funny now, but it wasn't so funny back then. You start to get a bit concerned after the fifth day or so of, "Hey, I think I kept lunch down!" "Oh wait... !" as you sprint to the bathroom. Hahaha. And of course once you keep it down with an intestinal infection, it's still going to exit sooner than normal. LOL.

I really got to study that bathroom in great detail that month.

Dang that sounds painful and I thought my oral surgery years ago for removing all four wisdom teeth was bad.

I woke up in the middle (apparently I'm not as sensitive as some to whatever they knocked me out with) to a Doc whaling on a hammer and chisel -- in my face -- I and I mean pounding on it. Swinging it like he was a roofer on a hot day who wanted to get done and get off the roof. Haha.

I heard someone say, "It looks like he's waking up..." and they apparently administered a bit more of Mr. Knockout drug and I went back to sleep so the Doc could finish whacking my face with a hammer.

My jaw on that side was sore for a couple of weeks. And I got a dry socket to go with that. And then got an intestinal infection brought on by the hefty antibiotics used for the surgery so I got to have a nice Friday night ER visit and take even heftier antibiotics.

It was a lovely month. Lost about 15 lbs, too, with an all liquid diet and then the infection right as I went back to solid food.

I did get enough time in one particular bathroom to notice a couple of tiles on the tub surround needed replacing, I threw up so much in it. Yeah. I learned pretty quick that tubs are easier to hit when projectile vomiting than toilets.

Hahaha now that I've scared you... My answer:

Like all surgery, it depends on how well and how fast you heal up without complications. I had, um... A lot of complications. For weeks. Ha.

It's funny now, but it wasn't so funny back then. You start to get a bit concerned after the fifth day or so of, "Hey, I think I kept lunch down!" "Oh wait... !" as you sprint to the bathroom. Hahaha. And of course once you keep it down with an intestinal infection, it's still going to exit sooner than normal. LOL.

I really got to study that bathroom in great detail that month.

If flying doesn't work out for you, you should become a writer. Hah!

how the heck do you not sneeze? I've never been able to stop a sneeze once it's on it's way.
You're supposed to let the sneeze come out through your mouth, not your nose, if the sneeze is inevitable.

Just an update if anyone was curious.

Day four and I feel fine, just swollen around the face. I'm pretty exhausted, so I wouldn't go flying if I had the option to. They cleared me to fly whenever I feel up to it! So the sinus opening didn't cause any problems other than the sneezing and blowing my nose, both of which I haven't had to do. I'm only expected to be down 7 days from flying and less from other normal activities.

Sun n' Fun, here we come!

You'll be doing the blockhead trick in next to no time!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back