Unusual ATIS at Addison

Thanks Troy! I was wondering how they could make ADS ATIS longer <g>. Guess I know now!

Best,

Dave

That's excellent, Troy!

This has got to be the equivalent of the "falling rocks" sign on our highways. In both cases I can't help but ask myself - so what am I supposed to do about it? Avoid the debris? :D

No Greg! Geesh. Guess I still have things to look forward to when trying to fly!

Best,

Dave

I was thinking about this as I flew home (unmolested by satellite chunks)- am I any more at risk in the air, than I am on the ground?

And like y'all said above, exactly what should I do wit this information?

That's excellent, Troy!

This has got to be the equivalent of the "falling rocks" sign on our highways. In both cases I can't help but ask myself - so what am I supposed to do about it? Avoid the debris? :D

"Caution falling rocks. Be lucky."

You have never had to listen to O'Hare ATIS, have you? LOL

Boston's is bad. And PIT takes about 20 minutes with all the NOTAMS and acronyms that don't appear anywhere else. "28R LIQUID DEICED LISR LAST 3000 FT, TWY D3, D4, D5, D6 PLOWED TSR OVR PIR." WTF! First time I read that on the 7 page long D-ATIS, there were three of us in the cockpit, and the only way we could figure it out was by actually listening to the voice ATIS where they thankfully didn't abreviate LISR, TSR, or PIR.

That video makes me think of this one:

Back in the fall, they were doing maintenance on the end of one runway and three different taxiways at Austin. The listing of closures was longer than the actual weather. At one point, one of the controllers decided to get funny and added a line which was in the computer voice... "In other words, if you can get to the runway you can takeoff."

In December, all maintenance was stopped and every surface was open. The weather was the longest portion and the entire ATIS was only 35 seconds.

I was thinking about this as I flew home (unmolested by satellite chunks)- am I any more at risk in the air, than I am on the ground?

And like y'all said above, exactly what should I do wit this information?

You should not sue Uncle Sam for not warning you if you get hit, of course. :D

Anyone ever hear Lake Havasu City's AWOS? SLOOOOOOWEESSTT AWWOOOOSSS INNNN THEEE COUNTRYY....bar none.

"lake havasu...............airport...............automated...................weather................observation................zero.................two...............three.............zero............zulu..........weather."

It was almost enough to avoid listening to it.

Last edited:
That's excellent, Troy!

I remember this old saw from my grandfather once when we were driving and I asked about the "Falling Rocks" signs:

Long, long ago an old Indian chief was about to die, so he called for Geronimo and Falling Rocks, the two bravest warriors in his tribe. The chief instructed each to go out and seek buffalo skins. Whoever returned with the most skins would be chief. About a month later Geronimo came back with one hundred pelts, but Falling Rocks never returned. Even today as you drive throughout the country you can see signs saying: WATCH OUT FOR FALLING ROCKS.

Back