Unusual 8 Cyl. Lycoming

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
I found the attached picture in a 1931 German text book titled (translated) "Construction and Calculations of Modern Automobile and Motorcycle Engines." If anyone is interested, I also have a 1932 German book "High Speed Combustion Engines" with lots of cut away cross sections and other views of really old aircraft engines (and tank engines, stationary engines, racing engines).

Last edited:
They belonged to my father-in-law. He was a German mechanical engineer. Worked for NSU in the 30s. Here are a couple more pictures

Last edited:
Very cool Bobby. I saw some very neat 1940s a/c engines in a museum today - including one of those original jet engines with the series of what I want to call 'combuster cans? in a ring at the edge. Thanks for posting.

If you look at the history of the American auto industry, prior to WWII (and especially prior to the worst effects of the depression), there were a number of carmakers (some called themselves "coach builders" and the like) who manufacured rolling chassis with custom bodywork and engines manufactured by others. Lycoming was one such manufacturer. It allowed fabricators which lacked the engineering and financial resources to design their own engines to have modern and well-crafted engines, without (at the same time) feeding their competition (as they would have been doing had they, for example, bought engines from Chrysler or GM).

Anyone remember the Tucker? Different circumstance, of course, but it used a modified Franklin helo engine.

I am a collector of old aviation books. And have several including about 50 wood block aviation prints from Japan. If anyone has any books they would like to donate to a history buff let me know. It’s surprising how much information there is out there tucked away just waiting to be rediscovered.

Stache

StacheI am a collector of old aviation books.[/QUOTE said:
Would you possibly have a Navy training manual "ADR 3&2" ?

Back