untowered fields with parallel runways

\__[Ô]__/

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
david
Does anyone know of any untowered fields with parallel runways?

This may not exactly count, but KSUS has parallel runways and the tower is closed between 2300-0600 local.

edit: I cheated/used google-fu. KRCE has them. :D

Last edited:
Wow! More than I thought. I see how parallel runways can certainly save space but it seems weird to me to have to chose between two runways both aligned into the wind.

I guess you select the runway you want based either on runway length or which way you plan on turning after landing? I have to wonder how much it increases utility of the airport without ATC working to maximize utilization of the runways.

Frederick, Oklahoma (KFDR) used to have parallel 17/35 runways, but over the years the pavement of 17L/35R (the short, skinny runway) deteriorated and with no money available to resurface it, they simply closed it. I used to go there in my Cherokee to practice simulated engine-out-on-takeoffs where you could pick any of the four different runways (8 total when you count both directions) pointing in every direction with nobody else around, or a tower to bother with. This airport used to even also have a 5th (09/27) crosswind runway, but it was closed years before I started to fly. KFDR used to be a bomber training base back in WW2.

02046.jpg

Last edited:
\__[Ô]__/;1421308 said:
Does anyone know of any untowered fields with parallel runways?
Definitely quite a few. My university has a grass strip parallel to 18/36, but it's technically not a runway and just a field kept mowed with cones laid out. But yeah, it's a parallel runway...

This may not exactly count, but KSUS has parallel runways and the tower is closed between 2300-0600 local.
Yup, that's my home-drome, and although they don't have an LoA for SODPROPs when the tower is operational anymore, I have routinely done it when the tower's closed. Helps save quite a bit of taxi time in some situations...

Many towered fields with parralle runways that are still parralle after the tower closes. A runway may not close just because the tower closes.

And may even have parralle and double crossing runways.

I guess the question is, why does it matter? What is the gist of the OP question?

I guess the question is, why does it matter? What is the gist of the OP question?

I was preparing a presentation for a ground school class and wanted to mention parallel runways. It occurred to me that I didn't know of any non-towered airports with parallel runways.

So no real reason, I just wanted to know if there were any airports with parallel runways but no tower. It seems the parallel runways lose a lot of value without a 3rd party making sure the runways are used efficiently.

I'm aware of an airport with an asphalt runway that is parallel to a water landing runway. Untowered and privately owned.
29120.jpg

Frazier Lake, CA has parallel runways. If you can't decide which one to use, maybe flying might not be for you....

Sulphur Springs TX (KSLR) where the American Legend Aircraft Company is based has a Grass Strip next to the paved runway, not tower.

It is very cool to land from the north because the end of the runways are on a small lake.

\__[Ô]__/;1421437 said:
I don't understand what you mean by this . Care to elaborate?

There is a myth, and I think from reading the original post that you may belive it too, that pilots can't coordinate complex environments without ATC to tell people where to go.

You have to remember that ATC was created because airliners couldn't stop smacking into each other, not because GA pilots needed their help.

To coordinate things in a complex environment, we just talk it through over the radio.

Its true that parallel runways are typically for capacity reasons, thus they tend to be found at airports with operating control towers.

Usually when you do see a parallel runway at a non-towered field, there is one "main" runway and a secondary runway that serves a unique purpose: ag ops, glider ops, or tailwheel ops. Often the secondary runway is grass.

I'm curious if you can find parallel runways at a non towered field that each have their own instrument approach; highly doubtful I suspect.

Check out LBL for multiple parallel runways w/o a tower.

I think one of the Bakersfield airports may have parallels with no tower.

Old military fields may have (or had) parallels and there is no funding for towers now that the fields have been turned over for commercial use.

KBXM is an example.

I'm curious if you can find parallel runways at a non towered field that each have their own instrument approach; highly doubtful I suspect.

I didn't have to look far.

KRHV is non towered after 10PM local time and has GPS approaches to both runways.

I didn't have to look far.

KRHV is non towered after 10PM local time and has GPS approaches to both runways.

KHEF is a similar situation during non-towered hours.

Never been a problem for me.

KHEF is a similar situation during non-towered hours.

Never been a problem for me.

And if you've been around long enough, you remember KHEF before it had it's tower (it still had both runways).

Amusingly, when I saw the tower there, I said must be some standard Government Issue one as it looks the same as the one at KAPA. Turns out it was exactly the same tower. Manassas bought it when Arapaho County build the bigger one. I've been in the cab at both locations.

Does KMRT (attached) count? I bet lots of airports have a parallel grass runway!

Attachments

• kmrt.png
    kmrt.png
    376.2 KB · Views: 13

edit: I cheated/used google-fu. KRCE has them. :D
My home base KFCM has a similar setup but the north parallel is closed when the tower is closed.

Sulphur Springs TX (KSLR) where the American Legend Aircraft Company is based has a Grass Strip next to the paved runway, not tower.

It is very cool to land from the north because the end of the runways are on a small lake.

Stopped by there on a cross country a few years ago! Great place.

\__[Ô]__/;1421433 said:
I was preparing a presentation for a ground school class and wanted to mention parallel runways. It occurred to me that I didn't know of any non-towered airports with parallel runways.

So no real reason, I just wanted to know if there were any airports with parallel runways but no tower. It seems the parallel runways lose a lot of value without a 3rd party making sure the runways are used efficiently.

Our two runways at Jean NV are designed for power operations on the west runway and glider operations on the east runway with traffic patterns to the respective side. When the gliders are not operating, helicopters may operate off the east runway to not interfer with fixed wing operations.

Power is not restricted from the east runway and will use it when gliders are not operating, it's narrower and shorter. A good change up for that student pilot.

The east runway was designed for glider operations with no runway light obstructions and the infield to the east bladed level with the runway so you can roll clear anywhere.

To coordinate things in a complex environment, we just talk it through over the radio.

Bearing in mind that we are not required to use a radio, coordinate with others or follow any particular procedures. Uncontrolled means just that. Anything goes.

New Jerusalem in CA (1Q4) used to be parallel runways, but they have taken over one runway to pile dirt it looks like. The closed runway is also used for model airplanes now. Why in the world this "airport" exists and why in the world they originally built it to have two runways I have no idea. Must have been a really busy ag business or something.

Actually, Wiki says-

During World War II, the airport was designated as New Jerusalem Auxiliary Airfield (No 2), and was an auxiliary training airfield for Stockton Army Airfield, California.

Sounds likely. It is still used that way today. Many a touch and go have been preformed here on a daily basis.

New_Jerusalem_Airport_-_California.jpg

Back