Unprofessional pilot behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike11777

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mike11777
I was recently a passenger on a flight on a flight from Boston to Los Angeles. In the middle of the flight, one of the pilots came out of the cockpit to use the bathroom. Then he stood near the first row of seats and socialized with the stewardess for 20 minutes. This annoyed me for 2 reasons.... 1. This prevented passengers from using the front restroom for 20 minutes because no one is allowed to walk forward when a pilot is out of the cockpit.... 2. The pilot was out of the cockpit for 20 minutes just to socialize. This is the same thing as the plane having only one pilot for 20 minutes which is unsafe. I think the pilot should be reported. What would you do? For those of you who disagree with me, tell me why all flights have 2 pilots.

Well it certainly may have been annoying if you couldn't use the john but you could have said something. But I really don't agree that it was unsafe. I suppose there is some slightly increased risk if the single pilot suddenly becomes incompacitated but really that is so incredibly rare. Besides how do you know the guy was not just deadheading back in the jump seat.

I was recently a passenger on a flight on a flight from Boston to Los Angeles. In the middle of the flight, one of the pilots came out of the cockpit to use the bathroom. Then he stood near the first row of seats and socialized with the stewardess for 20 minutes. This annoyed me for 2 reasons.... 1. This prevented passengers from using the front restroom for 20 minutes because no one is allowed to walk forward when a pilot is out of the cockpit.... 2. The pilot was out of the cockpit for 20 minutes just to socialize. This is the same thing as the plane having only one pilot for 20 minutes which is unsafe. I think the pilot should be reported. What would you do? For those of you who disagree with me, tell me why all flights have 2 pilots.

Get over yourself. Take the bus next time.

Trapper John

Annoying certainly, but a long way from unsafe. One of the many reasons there are two pilots is so one of them can go to the john.

Somebody call the whaaaaaaaaambulance. :ihih:

"All flights have 2 pilots" -- Really? Hmmm.. someone should tell someone.

What would you do?
Advise them you needed to use the restroom and ask when you could be allowed get into it.

For those of you who disagree with me, tell me why all flights have 2 pilots.
What did you want to report him for? Your lack of assertiveness in asking to use the lavatory? for taking a break and letting the blood flow to his legs? For wanting to be treated as a non-prisoner of the cockpit?

There was not a safety issue that I am aware of. The plane had a qualified crew member monitoring the equipment. I think you need to lighten up and let the flight crew be treated like humans.

So the only reason flights have 2 pilots is so they can take turns peeing?

Then what are the OTHER reasons that flights have 2 pilots?

workload requirements during cruise aren't enough to keep 1 pilot busy. back in the 'good ole days' everyone liked it when the pilot would come back and say hello, give the kids pin on wings, etc. now this??

So the only reason flights have 2 pilots is so they can take turns peeing?
Sure that is one. I know you are being a smart ass, but yeah, there are two pilots so that there can always be at least one qualified person in the cockpit during the cruise phase. What would you rather have? The only pilot step out when he has to pee and leave the airplane unattended? If you are concerned about safety that would be a big problem.

It is during the more complex parts of flight that both crew members need to be there and working together.

Here's an answer I got on another message board.....

"Auto-pilot really does make it so the plane essentially flies itself once they've reached cruising altitude so there wasn't any immediate danger. If something went wrong AND the pilot in command couldn't handle it he surely could have taken the 10 steps back into the cockpit. If an emergency happens at altitude and there's less than 15 seconds to avoid disaster, the pilot couldn't have saved the plane no matter where he was.

All of that being said, it was unprofessional and frankly immature for him to socialize like that during the flight.

If it makes you feel any better, he makes about the same salary as the manager of a McDonald's and he's stuck working nights, weekends and holidays.
Source(s):

ex-pilot"

Take-off/landings checklists and crosschecks

Enroute can be booooorrrrriiiiinnnnnggggg (except for the view
out the windows). (and boring is good)

also in the good ole days the cockpits were big enough and the cockpit door could be opened by people other than the pilot. This allowed the flight attendant to go to the cockpit to talk to the pilot.

now thanks to 9/11 the pilots have to pretend that they have to pee to be able to hit on the FA. The terrorists truly have won

Airline pilots chime in here, when you're at cruise (say FL350 or higher), is it still standard procedure for the remaining pilot to don the mask when the other pilot leaves the cockpit?

I remember when I got my pressurization endorsement that there were various options involving quick-donning masks and such but at some altitude the crewman left in the cockpit had to put the mask on no matter what type it was.

Most of my flights have only one pilot since I usually fly solo.

During cruise, one pilot can rest while the other flies and monitors the aircraft. Resting can include stretching legs or just kicking back a little.

Taking off & landing- more work, so they help each other and cross-check.

BTW- I'm not an airline pilot, but I have read the articles in Flying magazine. A real airline pilot is likely to clean up my reply.

Oh and to get back on topic - who was the carrier? I don't think it was at all unprofessional or unsafe. Discourteous? Maybe if you'd indicated you needed the bathroom and the reaction was "tough". Otherwise, no harm done.

Sorry, I have to disagree. Quietly chatting with a colleague is in no way unprofessional. It was thoughtless of him to block the loo, but he probably would have gotten out of your way had you asked.

also in the good ole days the cockpits were big enough and the cockpit door could be opened by people other than the pilot. This allowed the flight attendant to go to the cockpit to talk to the pilot.

now thanks to 9/11 the pilots have to pretend that they have to pee to be able to hit on the FA. The terrorists truly have won
Also when the pilot is out of cockpit a FA must be inside the cockpit to be able to open the door and take over flying the aircraft ala Julie Haggerty, in the event of an emergency :yikes:

Here's an answer I got on another message board.....

"Auto-pilot really does make it so the plane essentially flies itself once they've reached cruising altitude so there wasn't any immediate danger. If something went wrong AND the pilot in command couldn't handle it he surely could have taken the 10 steps back into the cockpit. If an emergency happens at altitude and there's less than 15 seconds to avoid disaster, the pilot couldn't have saved the plane no matter where he was.

All of that being said, it was unprofessional and frankly immature for him to socialize like that during the flight.

If it makes you feel any better, he makes about the same salary as the manager of a McDonald's and he's stuck working nights, weekends and holidays.
Source(s):

ex-pilot"

Cripes, how many places besides here and Yahoo are you asking?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091013112007AAPrCD6

attention_whore.jpg

Trapper John

Sorry, I have to disagree. Quietly chatting with a colleague is in no way unprofessional. It was thoughtless of him to block the loo, but he probably would have gotten out of your way had you asked.

Nope. A passenger tried to use the front restroom while the pilot and stewardess were socializing. They both pointed the passenger to the back restrooms. There was a barricade between the crew and passengers during the chat.

i thought julie was only there to blow (up) Otto in the case of an emergency?

Nope. A passenger tried to use the front restroom while the pilot and stewardess were socializing. They both pointed the passenger to the back restrooms. There was a barricade between the crew and passengers during the chat.
How much time have you wasted over this? It wasn't a big deal. Get over it..move on with life..It'll feel better.

the passengers should've went to the bathroom before the flight anyway. the plane weighs less that way and the pilots appreciate it because they takeoff sooner, climb faster, and get home faster. and the airline saves gas so they can charge less for seats. everyone wins.

Oh, the horror. Someone had to use the lav the back of the plane!!! The only flights I can remember being on where someone got to use the front lav was when they were in first class.

This is what he isn't, but you are coming across as:

douche1.jpg

I can see most you guys are Cessna-flying wannabes instead of real airline pilots. I am asking the wrong crowd.

This is an important announcement:

troll-web.jpg

Ask "the right crowd", and they should be in agreement. I miss socializing with the crew during flight.

Asking you guys for advice about airline pilots is like asking a hospital janitor about surgeons.

I think it's unprofessional when the bus drivers ask passengers how they are doing.
I think it's unprofessional when the bank teller spends 30 seconds asking the person in front of me about their sick mother.
I think it's unprofessional when cops are at the corner store and talk with each other, and the customers.
I think it's unprofessional when truck drivers talk on the CB with other truck drivers.
I think it's unprofessional when doctors talk to nurses in the hallway.
I think it's unprofessional when...

That's the best explanation I have heard of this nonsense yet. And yes, they won a long time ago.

On a UA 757 recently, I noticed that they have an ultra-secure system that consists of 3 ropes that are put up between the flight deck/bathroom and the cabin while the pilot is using the bathroom. Pretty nice. I don't see how anyone could overcome 3 strings!

Asking you guys for advice about airline pilots is like asking a hospital janitor about surgeons.

Proof that you've never flown a plane and have no idea what's involved.

Careful, there are lots of honest to gosh airline pilots who frequent these pages. However, you put up your query and nobody agrees. That does not in and of itself make everyone else stupid or unqualified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back