Unprofessional Pilot Behavior Part 2

How about if the pilot stands around outside the lav for 20 minutes talking with the flight attendant?

"Talking with the flight attendant" for 20 minutes might be necessary for a number of reasons as stated previously and is not necessarily "socializing". In any case, it would be up to the crew whether or not to open up the area to pax. There just isn't enough info on this particular situation to say what should have been done.

"Talking with the flight attendant" for 20 minutes might be necessary for a number of reasons as stated previously and is not necessarily "socializing". In any case, it would be up to the crew whether or not to open up the area to pax. There just isn't enough info on this particular situation to say what should have been done.
Thank you.

How about if the pilot stands around outside the lav for 20 minutes talking with the flight attendant?

How is that relevant? We were talking about a Jump Seater coming back and that was an answer to your question about the security procedures in such a case.

How is that relevant? We were talking about a Jump Seater coming back and that was an answer to your question about the security procedures in such a case.
Sounds like it is crew option, not mandatory, to sanitize the area during those 20 minutes, only when the door is being opened, and that's what I wanted to know.

Sounds like it is crew option, not mandatory, to sanitize the area during those 20 minutes, only when the door is being opened, and that's what I wanted to know.

Maddog's answer was accurate. The only time the area around the cockpit door needs to be secured is when it will be opened. There is no reason for it to be blocked continuously.

Hmmm.

Seems to me that there are a lot of unknowns, and a lot of "ifs."

For instance, "if" this particular pilot was discussing something like an ominous wine from some piece of equipment, then it was certainly justified.

On the other hand, "if" he was chatting about how he *really* wished he hadn't drafted Jamarcus Russel as his starting QB on his fantasy fb team, then it certainly wasn't justified. Even assuming absolutely no risk to anyone (which is pretty accurate to assume), it's at best unprofessional - you're clearly violating an FAR (like them or not, the rules are the rules; if you're not willing to follow them, you probably should find a career outside of aviation), and you're probably making some passengers uncomfortable (you can bet there were passengers thinking, "oh god, what if we hit turbulence and he hits the ceiling and breaks his neck, and a bird flies into the copilot's side at the same time and knocks him out")...and passengers are kind of why airlines exist.

All in all, there are too many unknowns to do anything other than have a hypothetical discussion. So maybe dude was unprofessional, maybe he wasn't.

All in all, getting to Nick's original post in this thread - it seems to me that the poster asking the question asked a legitimate question. I can't really see how it's unreasonable for a member of the non-pilot public to ask, "hey, this pilot was chatting it up with someone in the aisle for about 20 minutes; is there anything wrong with that?" Granted, the original thread devolved; the conduct in that thread speaks for itself.

Hmmm.

For instance, "if" this particular pilot was discussing something like an ominous wine from some piece of equipment, then it was certainly justified.

Most of the rotgut they serve in ominous, especially some of the Cabernet's.

"oh god, what if we hit turbulence and he hits the ceiling and breaks his neck, and a bird flies into the copilot's side at the same time and knocks him out")...and passengers are kind of why airlines exist.

Those birds at FL370 are pretty dangerous. I can see why the pax would be worried.
All in all, there are too many unknowns to do anything other than have a hypothetical discussion. So maybe dude was unprofessional, maybe he wasn't.

All in all, getting to Nick's original post in this thread - it seems to me that the poster asking the question asked a legitimate question. I can't really see how it's unreasonable for a member of the non-pilot public to ask, "hey, this pilot was chatting it up with someone in the aisle for about 20 minutes; is there anything wrong with that?" Granted, the original thread devolved; the conduct in that thread speaks for itself.

I'd like to hear both sides of the story, if only because "about 20 minutes" seems to be a rather inexact measurement of time, especially when estimated by someone who is vocalizing a complaint. Just sayin'

I'd like to hear both sides of the story, if only because "about 20 minutes" seems to be a rather inexact measurement of time, especially when estimated by someone who is vocalizing a complaint. Just sayin'

Good catch on that typo! :)

Time depends on what side of the bathroom door you are. 5 minutes. 20 minutes. Subjective, or clocked?
Many people avoid confrontation. Is this a case where the implied authority of the captain means said PAX won't challenge him even if a catistrophic event is about to occur?

Time is time, but a couple of minutes can seem like an hour. Especially to a pilot flying an approach to minimums on an icy night. What time did the twenty minutes start and when did they end?

Time depends on what side of the bathroom door you are. 5 minutes. 20 minutes. Subjective, or clocked?
Many people avoid confrontation. Is this a case where the implied authority of the captain means said PAX won't challenge him even if a catistrophic event is about to occur?

I come in peace, and I respectfully request a truce.

To answer your questions....

There was no first class cabin. The entire aircraft had coach seats.

The pilot's time spent socializing with the flight attendant was literally over 20 minutes.

The pilot and the flight attendant were smiling and laughing during the entire converation, so I doubt they were discussing official business. Honestly, it looked like he was hitting on her. Had they appeared to be having a serious conversation, I would not have questioned his behavior.

They did not use a drink cart to block passengers. The aircraft had a waist-high gate that was closed to block the passengers during their conversation. I did witness a passenger try to walk forward, at which point the pilot pointed the passenger to the rear lavatory so that he could continue socializing.

I do not wish to reveal the Airline brand, but the aircraft had over 140 seats.

I admit that I was very insulting in the thread, but it was a knee-jerk reaction to several insulting posts directed at me. Re-read the thread and you will notice that I was not offensive until others were offensive. I apologize to people on this message board who did not insult me. I also apologized to Rotor&Wing the day after my infamous thread.

Last edited:
Time is time, but a couple of minutes can seem like an hour. Especially to a pilot flying an approach to minimums on an icy night. What time did the twenty minutes start and when did they end?

It was a daytime flight from BOS to LAX. I don't recall the exact time it happened.

Captain said he came out to take a break. He had been very busy, working on his laptop for over an hour, and needed to stretch for a while. The FO was still pounding on his computer, but said he would listen for any radio calls.
It was a daytime flight from BOS to LAX. I don't recall the exact time it happened.

Back