Unplanned Fuel Stop in Canada

PaulMillner

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Paul Millner
  1. Mike S. wrote: In my commercial flying days I could pull into any appropriate airport in the event fuel was running short. Get gas, nobody except me leaves the plane, get back in the air. Flying from say, Bellingham to Ketchikan with just enough fuel to get there, I've read that landing in Canada can be a hassle. Why can't I just call up Prince Rupert, tell them the winds are causing me fuel problems and get permission to land for fuel. What's wrong with this idea, if anything?
  2. Paul M. wrote:
    You can do that, and I have. The Canadians are sympathetic. Returning to the US can be uglier, though...
  • Why is Canadian sympathy necessary? Stopping at some intermediate airport for fuel has always just been normal procedure and nothing out of the ordinary. As for U.S. Customs being "ugly", it's a flight from U.S. airspace to U.S. airspace with no formal entry into Canada, so why would Customs even be involved? What am I missing?
What you are missing is that we're talking about an UNPLANNED fuel stop in Canada... you haven't played "mother may I" with eAPIS in the US, nor have you advised the Canadians to expect you. That's very different from the "normal procedure" you mention.

The point a couple of us were trying to make is that the Canadians understand this... for instance, flying from upstate NY to Michigan via southern Ontario, or from Alaska to Washington State (the two places I've had this experience). In one case a line of awful weather, in the other case much, much higher than forecast headwinds, made a ground stop advisable. One simply advises Canadian ATC that you're going to make an *unplanned* stop in Canada, and ask them to contact Canadian customs for you. They're happy to do so... and they actually do it (unlike US ATC).

In these kinds of cases, since you never contacted CANPASS in the first place, you can't expect a call to 888-CAN-PASS once you're on the ground to work. In both cases, I was met by Canadian Customs, who were unfailingly polite and understanding, and at least in the case of weather, complimented me on my judgement (if not on the accuracy of my instruments).

Then... when it's time to return to the US, you do the eAPIS thing... but the eAPIS system kind of figures out that you never *left* the US, at least not with their permission. The reception you get upon arrival back in the US varies... in the Alaska to Bellingham case, they got very detailed about all kinds of paperwork for the airplane and the pilot, like that somehow makes everything OK... Arriving Port Huron, MI, US Customs just seemed delighted I had my sticker, and it was a perhaps more positive than normal interaction.

Paul

I never saw customs officer when landing in Canada. Just the phone call, "welcome to Canada, here is your arrival number" and you are off. On the other hand, I never failed to see a customs officer upon returning to the U.S. Although the officers are often professional, the system is designed to treat you like you are smuggling something.

Would anything bad happen (other than burning in Hell) if you simply didn't tell U.S. CBP that you landed in Canada on your way from the U.S. to the U.S.?

I never saw customs officer when landing in Canada. Just the phone call, "welcome to Canada, here is your arrival number" and you are off. On the other hand, I never failed to see a customs officer upon returning to the U.S. Although the officers are often professional, the system is designed to treat you like you are smuggling something.

You probably never brought guns into Canada? It is my understanding that you will be greeted personally if you bring one along.

Regarding reentry into the US, the CBP is required to greet you and inspect the plane. No way around it. Which port of entry you use and where you’re coming from seems to create varied experiences. I haven’t done a border crossing since Canada legalized marijuana but I wouldn’t be surprised if we get some extra attention now.

Back