Unlit 100" crane behind my house

Old Geek

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Old Geek
Unlit 100' crane behind my house

I'd normally not be too concerned except that it's about 2 blocks from a busy Interstate highway with helicopter traffic. I tried calling the local FSDO and kinda got the runaround.

What to do?

Last edited:
An 8'4" crane concerns you? I don't know the requirements for inclusions into the notams but I'm guessing you mean 100 feet which, in your circumstance, could cause some concern. Good luck with the FSDO.

I just wanted to make a funny.

here's an AC, not sure if its current.
It agrees with my foggy memory of 200' being the max unlit. (differences near airports would be expected)

Oh great, so now there is going to be another entry on everyones DUATS briefing: 'unlit tiny object somewhere or the other probably not relevant to your flight'.

If it's indeed 100ft and it is not within the protected area of an airport, no helicopter that sticks to the rules should hit it.

Maybe not choppers but recall Ag pilots vs Met towers, those were nasty, people died repeatedly.

An 8'4" crane concerns you? I don't know the requirements for inclusions into the notams but I'm guessing you mean 100 feet which, in your circumstance, could cause some concern. Good luck with the FSDO.

200' if not near an airport.

Maybe not choppers but recall Ag pilots vs Met towers, those were nasty, people died repeatedly.

We had one (ag pilot) take out a charted and lit tower which he was very knowledgeable of, so much of this seems to be liability-driven to me.

Back