Unlisted Drugs

U

Unregistered

Dear List,
I have recently rejoined AOPA and I was perusing the website (The last time I was a member the site was much smaller). I became interested in looking up some meds on the medical page which was very handy IMHO. My question is; what about the drugs that are not listed ? It has me wondering because if they are not prohibited on the list, does that mean they are OK ? In particular, I take an occasional sleep aid such as unisom (But I have also tried sominex, which I dont care for). I did find Sonata and Ambien as being approved but I am more interested in the over the counter stuff. BTW this forum is a great idea thanks

The fact that a drug isn't listed doesn't mean the drug is either legal or safe to take before/when flying. This is a particular problem with over-the-counter (OTC) drugs, and an even bigger problem with the "dietary supplements" that contain all sorts of organic and inorganic chemicals but have never been tested for safety or side effects by the FDA.

At least when dealing with OTC drugs, you get a warning label that talks about various side effects, and that's useful. As a general rule, you are safe to take them before flying as long as they have no significant side effects (look for warnings about dizziness, drowsiness, driving, operating machinery, etc) or you let twice the dosage interval elapse before flying (if it says "two every 12 hours," let 24 hours pass before flying). Based on this advice and what it says on the packages, you may decide it's a bad idea to fly the day after taking one of those OTC sleep aids the night before (especially in the morning), and that it's best to fly only when you can sleep the night before without drug aids.

Note: I am not a physician, but I've discussed the above with several MD/AME types and none have had a problem with my thinking on the subject.

The FAA will never publish a list of acceptable drugs. This directly from the Federal Air Surgeon.

The list that we have put together at AOPA is one based on experience as some of the medications are disqualifying in their own right, some are disqualifying as they are markers for a disqualifying disease.

I can tell you that the OTC stuff can be quite impairing to the ability to fly. But you are required to report only the Rx requiring stuff.

I think people tend to assume that if you can buy something at the local store, it must be safe. Worse, if a doctor prescribes something, and doesn't tell you to be careful, it must be safe.

http://www.enterprisenews.com/news/...ctors-sued-over-fatal-Brockton-Hospital-crash

In all cases, the appropriate cautions need to be taken. Look it up. Read the inserts. Don't just assume that since you can buy it at the local CVS, Walgreens, or WALMART that it is safe IN ANY DOSE. It was once mentioned if ASPIRIN was trying to get through FDA approvals today, it probably wouldn't pass.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back