Unleaded price passes 100LL

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
Well I never thought I would see the day when unleaded fuel cost me more than 100LL. Gas went up to $2.89 today and 100LL is $2.85. Its now cheaper to fly than to drive.

We have our first (of the season anyway) over $3.00 prices here in Michigan for regular. I expect much higher this summer. Our aircraft fuel is about $3.60 right now. But it only changes when the FBO gets a delivery.

The diesel has one tank full of diesel fuel, and a tank of vegetable oil so we can switch back and forth. I wish I had all diesel vehicles. Then again, the motorcycle will get 55 mpg...

tom. said:
We have our first (of the season anyway) over $3.00 prices here in Michigan for regular. I expect much higher this summer. Our aircraft fuel is about $3.60 right now. But it only changes when the FBO gets a delivery.

The diesel has one tank full of diesel fuel, and a tank of vegetable oil so we can switch back and forth. I wish I had all diesel vehicles. Then again, the motorcycle will get 55 mpg...

wait, are you saying you can run a diesel engine off of vegetable oil?

Well, I got ya beat on the gasoline price, but (wow) check out our 100LL prices right now!

Fairbanks, today: 100LL $3.93 :eek: ; 87 octane gasoline $2.55 (though it is $3.00 here at the park.)

Yes, my plane has an STC for avgas.

Yes, I plan on using it!

SkyHog said:

Yep. We run buses on it here, as well as large generators (when we aren't experimenting with fish oil, the bears love that!)

I really think that diesel powerplants will "save" the small GA aircraft for the future.

Dean said:
Well I never thought I would see the day when unleaded fuel cost me more than 100LL. Gas went up to $2.89 today and 100LL is $2.85. Its now cheaper to fly than to drive.

Gas by me is 3.05 and 100ll is 3.40

SkyHog said:

Biodeisel. Check here for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel

A news station did a report a year or two ago about a guy in Washington or Vancouver who used the used oil from a local potato chip factory to power his VW Bug.

Interesting stuff....

SkyHog said:

Yes, it will run on waste oil, fryer oil, mazola, or whatever. But don't go dumping it in your new $40,000 pickup. There are a few mods needed. The old mechanically-injected engines are the easiest.

By the way, it's not the same as biodiesel.

I tried small cars for awhile but only got mileage in the high 20s, and the diesel (in a full sized GMC or Suburban) will get 27 mpg. I decided not to sacrifice my family's safety...

100ll $5.59 at BED.
2.89 for unleaded, although I saw 3.08 in NYC this weekend

$2.89 Regular Unleaded
$3.45 100LL

Still cheaper to drive here, but not as fun!

I only saw one gas station friday. $3.03 for the cheap stuff. That's just straightforward greed, nothing more, nothing less.

The bit that really torques me off the worst is the gas stations have gotten to the point where they treat you like you're trying to steal from them while they're robbing you.

I think the proces crossed last year.

In the boonies by the airport regular was $2.89. Back toward civilization it was $2.84. Go figure.

That means it's probably $3.25 in Chicago.

On Friday Murphy Oil (Wal-mart contract) was selling 87 octane for 2.73. There was a gal selling "gas cards" for $20 for 3¢ off a gallon and $40 cards for 5¢ off a gallon. I asked how that would save me money. She said she didn't know. She did say they could be "re-charged" inside the store after I used it up, though. I passed.

Today the lowest I saw was 2.85.

I paid $4.11 for 100LL on Saturday in Pell City, AL. The last of the $3.50 100LL at my home airport was pumped out on Friday. We're waiting to see what the next tank load is going to be when they deliver this week.

It looks like we're getting to the point where, based solely on fuel costs, it is cheaper to take a trip in a plane than it is a non-compact car....

Last year there were a couple people that told me it was cheaper to fly then drive because automotive propellant was getting "more expensive" per mile than aviation propellant....

--Matt

Diesel fuel has been going up 10¢ to 20¢ every other day near my house. Last Monday it was $2.59 ... today it's $3.09.

Time to get serious about the waste oil to biodiesel conversion sysstem I've been looking at occasionally, I think.

gkainz said:
Diesel fuel has been going up 10¢ to 20¢ every other day near my house. Last Monday it was $2.59 ... today it's $3.09.

Time to get serious about the waste oil to biodiesel conversion sysstem I've been looking at occasionally, I think.

Better get your waste oil lined up now. All the restaurants in my town are now spoken for!:hairraise:

Well it didn't last long, they got a load of 100LL today and fuel price jumped to $3.19.:mad:

This fuel thing is ridiculous. I'm not that old but I remember when I moved to Georgia I saw Gas under $1.00.

100LL $4.60
87 $2.88

alaskaflyer said:
Yep. We run buses on it here, as well as large generators (when we aren't experimenting with fish oil, the bears love that!)

I really think that diesel powerplants will "save" the small GA aircraft for t

he future.

Did anyone watch a TV show a few days ago - I think on one of the Discovery channels - that was called "Cool Fuel"? The jist of it all was meant to direct attention to the growing interest in alternative fuels being used by people to power all sorts of vehicles using biodeisel variations and ethanol - cycles, cars, motor homes - and especially one guy flying his 1982 Mooney on ethanol! Big interest displayed in these alternative fuels, it seems, that will probably be seen at your local gas station in the near future. Biodiesel seems to be the front runner and I was wondering about that ethanol. Wasn't there a problem with that stuff "gumming" up engines?

HPNFlyGirl said:
Could you use 100LL in your car?

Yes you could. But you might want to consider how much a new catalytic converer will cost before doing so.

HPNFlyGirl said:
Not worth it then eh?

And, it may not run well. My Ford owners manual states regular for the truck, and even adds that running super may cause cold start and drivability problems.

alaskaflyer said:
Yes, my plane has an STC for avgas.

Yes, I plan on using it!

I ALWAYS use avgas... It's the mogas that gets tricky. :)

HPNFlyGirl said:
Could you use 100LL in your car?

Brook,
Your car will run just fine on 100LL. As stated the your catalytic will probably be toast soon there after. Many of the pilots up at the rural airports in the Sierras fill up their cars at the airfield since it was easier than going into town. If you live and SMOG your car in California, you'll have issues.

However, you're on your own if you use avgas in your car. :)

HPNFlyGirl said:
Not worth it then eh?

Not at the moment. As long as auto gas keeps going up in price it will be eventually.

What everyone really needs to do is get over the bigger is better concept and dump the extra super sized hummers and navigators. Soccer moms and business executives simply do not need a 4WD navigator to go to the grocery store and office. Get something sensible for city driving which is what 99%+ of the population does anyway. There was a motorcycle car prototype in the early 1980's that kind of looked like the front section of a jet fighter. 2 seats, cargo, small trailer option. It was fully enclosed with a canopy. It ran on two wheels like a motorcycle and had 2 outriggers that sat down to keep it from toppling over at stops. 180-200mpg. 10-15 gallons would take you coast to coast. With a little effort they could come up with a 4 seat version that gets a lousy 120-150mpg.

Lets see... 180mpg vs 15mpg for 25 years times a billion cars driving a couple trillion of miles = um, no wonder the oil companies are making a killing off of us.

Last edited:
fgcason said:
What everyone really needs to do is get over the bigger is better concept and dump the extra super sized hummers and navigators.

We just ditched our '04 Tahoe for gas reasons. We got a honda accord V6 coupe instead. We're now much happier to get 23mpg instead of 15mpg.

The way people drive around here. I'm not getting into one of those tiny little car thingys Frank! :)

I've um... "seen" a 2000 Jeep Wrangler run just fine on the 100LL. I don't doubt that the lead will mung up the cat or O2 sensors.

BUT it still runs just fine. :)

I wouldn't do it if you're not ready to deal with the consequences... :)

Legal? blah... :)

fgcason said:
It was fully enclosed with a canopy. It ran on two wheels like a motorcycle and had 2 outriggers that sat down to keep it from toppling over at stops.

I remember those, and recall them costing something like $60k each. $60k buys a LOT of gas, even at $3/gallon.

AirBaker said:
We just ditched our '04 Tahoe for gas reasons. We got a honda accord V6 coupe instead. We're now much happier to get 23mpg instead of 15mpg.

My wife traded and went from 15 city to 28 city. I ride the 40+ mnotorcycle most days. Even at $3/gallon, it is still economically detrimental to trade the 13mpg truck on a more fuel efficient car.

Bill Jennings said:
I remember those, and recall them costing something like $60k each. $60k buys a LOT of gas, even at $3/gallon.

I bet if they built more than half a dozen of the things, the price would drop a smidgen..to say around $5-7K a pop. The problem is you have to get EVERYONE into those all at once. Driving today in anything less than 5000 lbs that doesn't have at least 12" ground clearance is a death sentence and even then you're going to get your brains beaten out in the collision.

Today: $55 to fill up the jeep and it wasn't even empty. GAK! :eek: :eek: :hairraise: :hairraise: Being robbed is no fun. It's time to move to the country where I can use the 60mpg motorcycle...

larrysb said:
Plug the OBD-II in and read the codes.

Take it in for smog and see.

It may be running, the O2 sensors take a while to foul. Just one tank will reduce their efficiency and reduce the fuel efficiency of the engine. But garanteed, they will fail if one persists in running leaded fuel, the FI computer will get tired of the bad readings and light the dreaded CEL. (check engine light)

Trucks, of which the Jeep is classified, don't have as strict emissions standards as cars do.

There are ways to "tune" the firmware in the computer around the smog test and the CEL.

Again, no check engine lights on the Jeep.

However, the CEL is on in the Lexus due to bad O2 sensors. They've been on for the past 8000 miles, no worse efficiency so far.

I am no disputing the theory, but in practice it seems to be A-OK. :)

AirBaker said:
Again, no check engine lights on the Jeep.

However, the CEL is on in the Lexus due to bad O2 sensors. They've been on for the past 8000 miles, no worse efficiency so far.

I am no disputing the theory, but in practice it seems to be A-OK. :)

My Jeep doesn't even have a check engine light (it's a '48). But I still wouldn't use 100LL in it because the plugs don't stay clean. Unleaded plugs can go 100,000 miles or more (look at leaded auto plugs after 20,000 miles!)

The deposits will build up in the catalyst and plug it. Not right away, but look out in 30,000 miles. Ouch. And removing them is not legal. Not that most people care, but try getting an exhaust shop to work on it after that.

Back