Unleaded Avgas by 2030 - Steve Dickson announces EAGLE

PaulMillner

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Paul Millner
Here's this afternoon's 10 minute speech by outgoing FAA Administrator Steve Dickson on how we're going to get lead out of avgas by 2030, at the end of the one hour GAMA industry update.

These are the same "pillars" we saw in an earlier FAA presentation. One curious comment: we need time to figure out a distribution system to get avgas from the producers to the airports. Huh! I thought we already had a system just like that?

The basic plan is a restatement of PAFI, the Piston Aircraft Fuel Initiative that hasn't produced a useable fuel in 8 years of trying... ignored are GAMI's and Swift Fuel's efforts that are scheduled for success long before the current PAFI effort promises.

AOPA has a March 2nd 9AM EST membership virtual town hall meeting set to answer questions on EAGLE. There may be questions from the membership about the non-inclusion of the two STC efforts. The AOPA webinar panel will be Mark Baker of AOPA, Pete Bunce of GAMA, and me as AOPA's fuels consultant.

Paul

Last edited:
Also disconcerting was the Administrator's focus on modifying aircraft and engines, including electric power... when both GAMI and Swift Fuels appear to have solutions that don't require such invasive and expensive procedures.

Paul

Has the EPA ever done anything that is actually affects the economy in a positive fashion?

Has the EPA ever done anything that is actually affects the economy in a positive fashion?
That’s a strange question. Why would anyone expect such a thing? That’s kind of like expecting NASA to make reaching out to the Muslim world a priority.

Last edited:
Other than keeping the air and water in the USA from looking like that in China, especially China of six or 7 years ago, or India more recently?

Heaven knows the EPA isn't perfect and all too often replaces science with politics but I like clean air and water.

Yes, and I'm guessing you could name a few things with a little thinking. But that's not their raison d'être, is it?
I've seen the effects of egregious air and water pollution; I grew up in the Rubber City during its heyday. It stunk of sulfur, and anything that fell in any of the local creeks and rivers quickly corroded.

Back