Unknown Avionics

Jeff Mathews

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AV Instructor
I was wondering if anyone can identify some unknown avionics and indicators. I work as a maintenance instructor at Hallmark University and we recently acquired a Cessna 210B for training and I need help finding out what some of the unidentifiable indicators are because we have not received the maintenance records yet. First, what is the additional turn-and-slip indicator (1st picture) associated with? It has a knob label that reads autopilot, anyone know what type/model? On the second picture, what are the top 2 indicators immediately left of the radio stack? Is it for an ILS and if so what model or piece of avionics is it associated? Lastly, what is very top panel on the last picture? It has a DME switch and a switch to select either Nav 1 or 2. Anyone know what this is associated with or is it self-contained? Thanks in advance for the help.
upload_2022-4-20_10-28-4.jpegupload_2022-4-20_10-28-45.jpegupload_2022-4-20_10-28-58.jpeg

Not sure about the autopilot turn coordinator.

Middle two look like a KI-211C or KI-214, and a KI-201C, which are VOR/LOC/GS and VOR/LOC indicators that would have originally come with King 170 NAV/COMs.

Last seems to be a KI-266 DME indicator which is a "head unit" for a remote mount DME transceiver.

You can find descriptions/pics of a lot of old stuff at bennettavionics.com.

I am not 100% certain about the turn coordinator, but in my Cessna Cardinal, the 200A autopilot derives the bank inputs based on information from the electric turn coordinator. So, it does not surprise me to see an association between the turn coordinator and the original Cessna autopilot system in this aircraft.

What year aircraft? You might be able to find more information in the POH.

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone can identify some unknown avionics and indicators. I work as a maintenance instructor at Hallmark University and we recently acquired a Cessna 210B for training and I need help finding out what some of the unidentifiable indicators are because we have not received the maintenance records yet. First, what is the additional turn-and-slip indicator (1st picture) associated with? It has a knob label that reads autopilot, anyone know what type/model? On the second picture, what are the top 2 indicators immediately left of the radio stack? Is it for an ILS and if so what model or piece of avionics is it associated? Lastly, what is very top panel on the last picture? It has a DME switch and a switch to select either Nav 1 or 2. Anyone know what this is associated with or is it self-contained? Thanks in advance for the help.
View attachment 106196View attachment 106197View attachment 106198

Not exactly the same layout, but the manual of C210A can give you some idea:
https://support.cessna.com/docs/custsupt/cessnasupport/IPCFiles/P255-12.pdf
Page 138 on the pdf, and 100 of the hardcopy manual

Damn I feel old. Don't know exactly what model the Turn Coordinator driven autopilot would be. But it doesn't seem all that many years ago that CDI's and DME were just routine stuff.

My speculation on the DME.

Agree that it's an indicator tied to a remote unit. DME receivers can be tied to NAV radios so I'm thinking the DME frequency input comes from the NAV radios. The switch allows you choose what DME freq to use based on what's dialed in on the NAV radio.

I don't mean to be mean, but is it interesting that a maintenance instructor does not recognize VOR heads. Or am I missing something?

Look in your logbooks..you should figure out what autopilot the turn coordinator is/was controlling. A lot of older single axis autopilots were coupled to a turn coordinator.

Somewhere around here, I've got a book published in the 50's about this great new navigational system called VOR that will keep anybody from getting lost again. The donor gave it to me because the photo at the beginning shows a Navion panel with the VOR installed.

Back