United Flight/pilot heart attack

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
I was just watching the cnn video about the United pilot that had a heart attack shortly after takeoff. A couple of nurse's onboard did a nice job of stabalizing him until they could land. Last I heard, he should survive.

The story also mentions that the co-pilot made an announcement asking for anyone with flight experience. Now I understand that she is more than capable of landing that plane by herself and as I understand it, that's what happened.

My question is: as a 120 hr SEL pilot with no instrument rating, how much if any could I really assist her on a plane like that? Would it be radio help? running checklists?

My question is: as a 120 hr SEL pilot with no instrument rating, how much if any could I really assist her on a plane like that? Would it be radio help? running checklists?

I am betting that in excellent conditions, someone instructing you on the air, and a long enough runway, you could land the bird yourself if you absolutely had to, and while it will likely get dinged, no one would die.

But yeah, I'd assume she'd have you in the right seat doing secondary tasks. In the end, even as a 120 hour pilot, you have plenty of helpful knowledge.

But yeah, I'd assume she'd have you in the right seat doing secondary tasks.

Would the copilot really switch seats? I know very little outside of my GA experience but would imagine that she'd want to remain in the seat she was experienced and comfortable in.

You would have a much better grasp of the lingo and how to operate in a cockpit than someone who has never seen one beyond what they saw in the movie Airplane.

I would think that what they are looking for are pilots from another carrier who happen to travel on a paid-for ticket (they already know about all the jumpseaters). Unless you have experience flying as 121 crew member and/or operate things like a FMS you are not going to be of any use.

I wasn't a pilot in the Air Force but I did fly as a crewmember onboard both C-130 and C-135 variants. In both cases I was able to get right seat time in the air since we flew such long flights. Obviously it was just for familiarization and fun but it was interesting to see how the aircraft performed relative to my experience now as a pilot in GA planes years later. Do I think I could land a large jet? I think if you had someone there coaching you, it might be possible. I never got to fly an approach. My memories are that the flight management system and radio interfaces were sufficiently intuitive that a GA pilot surely could have figured out at least basic functions. So in the case of assisting a real jet pilot, I think just the backup on the radios and helping to double check systems, even without flying the plane could have been of assistance.

Carl

Would the copilot really switch seats? I know very little outside of my GA experience but would imagine that she'd want to remain in the seat she was experienced and comfortable in.

Depends on the aircraft. Some have tillers on both sides but if this aircraft did not then she would have had to switch seats if she wanted to taxi the aircraft once on the ground.

I would think that what they are looking for are pilots from another carrier who happen to travel on a paid-for ticket (they already know about all the jumpseaters). Unless you have experience flying as 121 crew member and/or operate things like a FMS you are not going to be of any use.

There was a case recently (last year?) where the remaining airline pilot did have a light aircraft pilot come up to assist him, and my impression from the reports is that it did help to reduce the workload.

It would be just another distraction.

My one question: was the pilot fat? Greg, call your office.

I am betting that in excellent conditions, someone instructing you on the air, and a long enough runway, you could land the bird yourself if you absolutely had to, and while it will likely get dinged, no one would die.

But yeah, I'd assume she'd have you in the right seat doing secondary tasks. In the end, even as a 120 hour pilot, you have plenty of helpful knowledge.

I wasn't a pilot in the Air Force but I did fly as a crewmember onboard both C-130 and C-135 variants. In both cases I was able to get right seat time in the air since we flew such long flights. Obviously it was just for familiarization and fun but it was interesting to see how the aircraft performed relative to my experience now as a pilot in GA planes years later. Do I think I could land a large jet? I think if you had someone there coaching you, it might be possible. I never got to fly an approach. My memories are that the flight management system and radio interfaces were sufficiently intuitive that a GA pilot surely could have figured out at least basic functions. So in the case of assisting a real jet pilot, I think just the backup on the radios and helping to double check systems, even without flying the plane could have been of assistance.

Carl
What does a GA pilot's ability to land a airliner with coaching have to do with the topic at hand? Do you guys really thing the remaining pilot would coach you through the landing?

See the videos at the bottom of the page:

"Can a private pilot land an airliner?"
and
"Can a kid land an airliner?"
and
"Private Pilot landing an Airliner with Engine Out"

http://www.theaviators.tv/freeviews/

EDIT: Sorry DFH, I just noticed that you already posted it.

Last edited:
There was a case recently (last year?) where the remaining airline pilot did have a light aircraft pilot come up to assist him, and my impression from the reports is that it did help to reduce the workload.

I guess someone who knows how to read an approach plate, read out a checklist and note down a clearance could be of help. Landing 'captain only' should be something airlines train for.

My one question: was the pilot fat? Greg, call your office.
I'd rather have a fat guy flying then a girl like they ended up with.:yikes: And because I love everybody here is a little motivation/tips site (I have no affiliation) for all the not as healthy as they wish to be folks.

Checklists, radios, flaps, landing gear, second set of eyes, ASI callouts, etc.

You understand the tasks.

I personally wouldn't bring up a private pilot (non commercial/121 type) to land a fully functioning airliner that I'm qualified to fly. It would be more of a distraction than a help. If I needed to taxi it on the ground and it didn't have a tiller in the right seat (the plane I currently fly does), I'd switch seats after landing and taxi, or just let them bring up airstairs after taking the highspeed and setting the brake.

I'd rather have a fat guy flying then a girl like they ended up with.:yikes: And because I love everybody here is a little motivation/tips site (I have no affiliation) for all the not as healthy as they wish to be folks.

LOL!!

Dude your posts always make me laugh, hard!

I personally wouldn't bring up a private pilot (non commercial/121 type) to land a fully functioning airliner that I'm qualified to fly. It would be more of a distraction than a help. If I needed to taxi it on the ground and it didn't have a tiller in the right seat (the plane I currently fly does), I'd switch seats after landing and taxi, or just let them bring up airstairs after taking the highspeed and setting the brake.

I would want the extra set of eyes in the cockpit, and someone who would be able to read off the checklist and confirm my responses.

Back