United breaks guitars

Heh... Now here's a different video, a timelapse of a United 747 undergoing a conversion to a new business class setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8nO-w9Iz2Y

That was posted by United... And there are TONS of comments like "Fix the man's guitar!" :rofl: YouTube and Twitter have done more for customer service than anything else in recent memory!

Sounds like United is blatantly in the wrong -BUT, I would like to see the contract; the fine print on checked baggage first.
(It may well say you must buy your own insurance.)
I would also have to see the video or hear from witnesses who saw the alleged abuse before judging as well.

I bet they didn't even get their $30 back....

Dave, most airlines CoC offer no protection for fragile or valuable items. That would generally relieve the airline of liability. That said, most airlines would say these were too big for carry-on. I don't know about UA, but some airlines allow musicians to purchase a second seat for their instruments.

After a year United decided they want to talk to the guy.

What gets me on the consensus that he deserved having his stuff broken because he didn't have a good enough case for them to toss around.

I'm thinking it's along the road of "Of course your stuff was stolen. You didn't lock it up right" and "Why wouldn't I walk away from the mortgage? It's upside down!"

I don't know about UA, but some airlines allow musicians to purchase a second seat for their instruments.

My brother is a cellist and does this... Last airline he did it on was Southwest, but I'm pretty sure he's done it on United too. The cello is even too big for checked baggage, I think... I'm pretty sure he's not being "allowed" to purchase the second seat, I think he's *required.* But, it's gotta be big enough and have the straps to secure it to the seat as well. (It's also big enough that he has to sit in the front row with it.)

Ironically enough, my brother plays a cello that was previously owned by my great-uncle, Bob Allen. Uncle Bob always packed his underwear around the cello in the case when he was traveling with it! But Uncle Bob also was traveling before the age of jetways - And the last time an airline baggage handler treated one of Uncle Bob's cellos with less than the utmost of care, he stormed back off the airplane, down the stairs, and picked the guy up by his shirt and let him have it! And at 6' 8", Uncle Bob got his way and probably had this guy off the ground a few feet. :D

I could have sworn I responded to this thread last night. Did anyone see a post from me on here about how there are horror stories about instruments and luggage apes. I also mentioned that my banjo case is a custom case made to withstand the abuse that baggage people give to these things?

I can't image that the post was deleted on purpose.

Color me confused and perplexed this morning.

I don't know if anyone else went to the musician's website. On it he has the whole story for anyone to read and he's planning two more music videos on the subject. He plans a total of three which will all be made available for free on the internet. Here's the link:

http://www.davecarrollmusic.com/story/united-breaks-guitars

Jean
There is an article in the Chicago Tribune this morning about him, the video and a UAL response. UAL is asking him for permission to use the video in their training of CSRs to show how they can treat customers better.

I am sick of this "well read the contract" fine-print, mice-type crap.

The airlines are in the BUSINESS of flying passengers and their baggage from point A to point B. They are, or should be, responsible for the safety and security of the passenger AND the luggage.

This cope-out "buy insurance", "ship it". "take on board", "but it was fragile" crap is getting real old, even from fellow pilots and citizens. It seems in some ways the backlash against "it is not my fault" has taken the personal responsibility crowd WAY to far the other way.

United was at fault, period, end of story (note...IF what he says is true) and should make the passenger whole. I do not care if it is a $10 souvenir plate, $3500 guitar, or $100000 Ming Vase.

Earth to Scott: you were dreaming.

There have been no deleted posts in this thread of any post by any person for any reason.

At least not yet ;)

I could have sworn I responded to this thread last night. Did anyone see a post from me on here about how there are horror stories about instruments and luggage apes. I also mentioned that my banjo case is a custom case made to withstand the abuse that baggage people give to these things?

There is an article in the Chicago Tribune this morning about him, the video and a UAL response. UAL is asking him for permission to use the video in their training of CSRs to show how they can treat customers better.

He should grant permission - for the price of a new guitar.

You posted it in either a parallel universe or the dopplegangers got it.:rolleyes:

Earth to Scott: you were dreaming.

There have been no deleted posts in this thread of any post by any person for any reason.

At least not yet ;)

You posted it in either a parallel universe or the dopplegangers got it.:rolleyes:
Weird. I know I typed and I know I edited it. I wonder if I hit the delete button by accident when I was editing it. I could not imagine why the MC would have gotten involved that is why I was thinking it was something else.

To add some controversy, I did that 'Berumuda Triangle' Post from my Mac. :D

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone else went to the musician's website. On it he has the whole story for anyone to read and he's planning two more music videos on the subject. He plans a total of three which will all be made available for free on the internet. Here's the link:

http://www.davecarrollmusic.com/story/united-breaks-guitars

Jean

I tried to go to his website............
But perhaps the UA IT department hackers have gotten there ahead of me, because I get a 403 error telling me access is forbidden, that I don't have permission to access davecarrollmusic.com....

Conspiracy here???:yikes:

This cope-out "buy insurance", "ship it". "take on board", "but it was fragile" crap is getting real old,

The thing is, if airlines realize they are incapable of providing a particular service (transporting fragiles safely) and notify their patrons of this - BUT - the passengers insist on checking their ming vase despite being forewarned I can't see how that is the airline's fault. (I don't know this to be the case, that is why I posted it as a question in my first post.)

United was at fault, period, end of story

Could be, but til you have evidence other than this customer's testimony, how can you say so?
I am no particular fan of any airline's actions towards passengers these days....but I am a fan of fairness!

But perhaps the UA IT department hackers have gotten there ahead of me, because I get a 403 error telling me access is forbidden, that I don't have permission to access davecarrollmusic.com....

Same here.

On another note:

A spokesman for the airline says the song has struck a chord with them, and they were planning to talk to him directly.

Source: http://www.cjad.com/news/565/956952

It's about time... and they (the airlines) wonder why they are struggling...

Its funny how it takes some internet fame and some outrage before United will do the right thing.....

That's the kind of thing that makes me not want to do business with companies.

I just tried and got the same thing you did. His site was working this morning but it looks like his entire site is down or restricted. I can't even get to the main page www.davecarrollmusic.com

Jean

Oh, sure.

New instruction: "If the customer mentions making a YouTube video refer to your supervisor."

I wonder if he got too many hits and exceeded a quota...

That's what I'm wondering too. I'm not a web developer so I don't really know much about this error message but it suggests to me that it may be due to some bandwidth limiting. Can anyone on here decode this better than I can?

Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8i DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.davecarrollmusic.com Port 80

It's the "bwlimited" that has me wondering.

Jean

The thing is, if airlines realize they are incapable of providing a particular service (transporting fragiles safely) and notify their patrons of this - BUT - the passengers insist on checking their ming vase despite being forewarned I can't see how that is the airline's fault. (I don't know this to be the case, that is why I posted it as a question in my first post.)

Could be, but til you have evidence other than this customer's testimony, how can you say so?
I am no particular fan of any airline's actions towards passengers these days....but I am a fan of fairness!

The word was they routinely make you sign a liability waiver so the apes can have their game of catch with any fear of repercussions.

That's what I'm wondering too. I'm not a web developer so I don't really know much about this error message but it suggests to me that it may be due to some bandwidth limiting. Can anyone on here decode this better than I can?

Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8i DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.davecarrollmusic.com Port 80

It's the "bwlimited" that has me wondering.

Jean
That is outputted by the Apache ServerTokens Full full directive. Essentially it is just a string containing the version and some of the modules the server is using.

So, the server has mod_bwlimited which is a module for doing bandwidth limitations. But, just because it has it, and it's throwing an error does not mean its because of mod_bwlimited. It could be, generally though you throw a Bandwidth error..not just a generic forbidden..but it is up to the administrator really.

That is outputted by the Apache ServerTokens Full full directive. Essentially it is just a string containing the version and some of the modules the server is using.

So, the server has mod_bwlimited which is a module for doing bandwidth limitations. But, just because it has it, and it's throwing an error does not mean its because of mod_bwlimited. It could be, generally though you throw a Bandwidth error..not just a generic forbidden..but it is up to the administrator really.

Thanks Jesse! I've always wanted to learn something about web development but just never had the time.

Jean

I am sick of this "well read the contract" fine-print, mice-type crap.

From his web site:
I immediately tried to communicate this to the flight attendant who cut me off saying: “Don’t talk to me. Talk to the lead agent outside”. I found the person she pointed to and that lady was an “acting” lead agent but refused to talk to me and disappeared into the crowd saying “I’m not the lead agent”. I spoke to a third employee at the gate and when I told her the baggage handlers were throwing expensive instruments outside she dismissed me saying “but hun, that’s why we make you sign the waiver”. I explained that I didn’t sign a waiver and that no waiver would excuse what was happening outside. She said to take it up with the ground crew in Omaha.

It goes downhill from there.

He did say that the customer service people in India seemed to care...

Hmmm. Was Pete Townsend on the flight?

I just tried going to his site again and now it's redirecting to a myspace page of his.

Jean

Here is the fine print if anyone is interested:
I think he probably will get paid.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1037,00.html

Limits of liability
United is not liable for damage to fragile items, spoilage of perishables, loss/damage/delay of money, jewelry, cameras, electronic/video/photographic equipment, computer equipment, heirlooms, antiques, artwork, silverware, precious metals, negotiable papers/securities, commercial effects, valuable papers, or other irreplaceable items and/or any item where a liability release was signed by the passenger.

Domestic
For travel wholly between U.S. points, liability for delay, damage or loss to checked baggage, including carry-on baggage if tendered to the carrier's in-flight personnel for storage or otherwise delivered into the custody of the carrier, is limited to a maximum of $3,300 per passenger.

The sad thing is, if he had not make this very public they would not have done anything about it. They had already told him no. So are we all supposed to go do something this drastic when they won't do the right thing?

The sad thing is, if he had not make this very public they would not have done anything about it.

Exactly!

In the last year I've had very similar experiences with customer service at Dell, MicroSoft, Sears, eNom and others.

They're all the same.

They all suck.

They've all long ago forgotten who the customer is.

Hopefully regular exposure such as this will change things.

Not holding my breath.

Exactly!

In the last year I've had very similar experiences with customer service at Dell, MicroSoft, Sears, eNom and others.

They're all the same.

They all suck.

They've all long ago forgotten who the customer is.

Hopefully regular exposure such as this will change things.

Not holding my breath.

Actually I've had pretty good experience with Dell's customer support. Maybe their business support is better than consumer but I don't know since their business support is all I've every used. We have been buying all of our computer equipment from Dell for the past 10+ years. While I have seen what appear to be a downgrade in the quality of system, mostly coming out of China they have been giving me good support.

I had a 4 year old Dell precision workstation, still under extended warranty, that I kept having trouble with the RAID controller corrupting the boot partition leaving the system unable to boot. This happened 4 times over the four years, they have replaced system boards memory and the like. When it happened the last time, a few weeks ago, they replaced the workstation completely with a current model. In the end it was quite an upgrade.

Jean

From his web site:

It goes downhill from there.

He did say that the customer service people in India seemed to care...

Sounds a bit like what happened to me with American Eagle from ORD-DCA with carry-on bags (that you deposit on a cart when you board the plane and are supposed to pick up as you get off the plane).

In that case, the gate agent told a bunch of us (who's bags didn't appear in the jetway at DCA) that "the bags didn't get put on the plane in Chicago".

Fortunately, the folks at baggage claim realized that the ground crew had treated the bags as regular checked bags and they appeared on the carousel shortly thereafter.

Yet another reason to avoid "commuter" flights.... even if you carry-on, the bags may not appear.

Unlike UA, the AA folks did seem to care.

Actually I've had pretty good experience with Dell's customer support. Maybe their business support is better than consumer but I don't know since their business support is all I've every used.

Actually, it's the business side I had issues with earlier this year. I bought a new laptop for my business and the young lady talked me into a wireless mouse. Once I got the computer and fired it up, I found the wireless mouse was useless. The computer was not bluetooth capable (I think it's bluetooth that the mouse uses). So, I had a worthless mouse. I called them and they said they'd refund my money and send me a return authorization. Neither happened. I called back numerous times, got various excuses. They finally quit talking to me (my rep apparently had caller ID and after four or five convesatiions my calls started going right to voicemail and never to be returned).

It was only $30 or $40...I spent more than that calling them. But, just like everything else in life, it's the principle of the matter.

Actually, it's the business side I had issues with earlier this year. I bought a new laptop for my business and the young lady talked me into a wireless mouse. Once I got the computer and fired it up, I found the wireless mouse was useless. The computer was not bluetooth capable (I think it's bluetooth that the mouse uses). So, I had a worthless mouse. I called them and they said they'd refund my money and send me a return authorization. Neither happened. I called back numerous times, got various excuses. They finally quit talking to me (my rep apparently had caller ID and after four or five convesatiions my calls started going right to voicemail and never to be returned).

It was only $30 or $40...I spent more than that calling them. But, just like everything else in life, it's the principle of the matter.

You might want to try calling their customer care department if your rep is treating you like that.

Weird. I know I typed and I know I edited it. I wonder if I hit the delete button by accident when I was editing it. I could not imagine why the MC would have gotten involved that is why I was thinking it was something else.

To add some controversy, I did that 'Berumuda Triangle' Post from my Mac. :D

Scott,

I bet you discovered an unexpected PayPal page after you posted it? Seems there was a bit of a bug with PoA, and Ted broke PoA. Any page that had a post from Ted, a quick-reply was sent to PayPal instead of PoA. Doh! (Fixed now, thanks Jesse... Now I just need to figure out which thread I was trying to post to that resulted in this! :()

Kent- Could it have been the "Name the Jesse and Tristan Kitty" thread?

Back