United Airline Pilots Dies In Flight

I've heard that no one technically dies 'in flight', they have to be declared dead by some official - possibly at a hospital.
I think that's because of various jurisdictional headaches. That's how it was explained to me when I flew air ambulance.

Maybe I missed it (I'm a man and can't find milk in the frig afterall) but I haven't seen anyone take issue with this thread title.

The pilot didn't die in flight. He died afterwards in a hospital.

He was clinically dead in flight. He was declared legally dead at the hospital. The distinction only matters on the paperwork.

I've heard that no one technically dies 'in flight', they have to be declared dead by some official - possibly at a hospital.

When I used to maintain my CPR cert, I was always told that in a real heart attack CPR won't usually do any good.

And now we get to define what a heart attack really is.... and what a "Real" heart attack is.

Is it a myocardial infarction?
Is it cardiac arrest?

Lay terms dont always convey the problem effectively. I have a problem with a CPR instructor using the term heart attack to describe a pulseless patient or cardiac arrest, because not all are caused by myocardial infarction.

Personally I wouldn't perform CPR on someone who has had a heart attack (myocardial infarction) who happens to be sitting up talking to me.. and has a pulse and all that... They might get mad and hit me or something. See attached graphic.

Real life? I can count on one hand the number of folks I've had who were prehospital CPR who left the hospital with no significant impairment. I can count on two hands the number who left the hospital alive. It helps to be young and otherwise healthy.

In hospital, a little better odds but only in a very select subset of patients - airway obstruction and sudden arrhythmias that occur during a procedure or in a monitored ICU... Cardiac arrest as the final scene in a prolonged severe course of illness NEVER leaves the hospital alive.

Facts of this case are the pilot was in the 60-65 age range, had a 1st class medical every 6 months and experienced sudden incapacitation.

My condolences to his family and colleagues, and while I did not know him personally, quite a few of my friends are based out of his hub and likely knew him well.

Attachments

• cpr1.JPG
    cpr1.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1974.JPG
    IMG_1974.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 18
The article linked in the original post specifically mentioned he arrived alive...

""The pilot was alive when he arrived at the local hospital but died during the night while being treated, hospital spokeswoman Jennifer Krajnik told the Associated Press."

According to the coroner he passed at 2355, the plane landed at 8pm.

Back