unique plane thread

Ad says it's a Kinner R-56, 160 hp.

Ad also says it is "the only WACO ever built that was not a BI-Plane." Not quite. See Post #22 in this thread.

I'd try to save the Kinner and hang a 985 on it.:D That plane looks like it would be a hoot and a half with 450hp, the 985 is the best engine on a Stearman IMO.

The owner of the only (at the time) flying Anderson-Greenwood (which is different from this one) showed up at Oshkosh one year. I pulled him off the taxiway and said he had to park here in the display area. He said he wanted to camp. I told him he could camp with me (in the grove behind the hangar cafe), but we had to have this plane on display.

Or, if you want something "unique" to fly into OSH... the only Waco monoplane ever built.

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/aircraft/Single+Engine+Piston/1940/Waco/RPT/1280844.html

jhimage
I'd bet that my Father-in-law would be surprised to hear that the gliders that he used to grab a few of his buddies and crash Hitler's party on three separate occasions were not monoplanes. I guess he must not have done a very thorough pre-flight and never looked out the side windows.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=78&page=1&start=0&ndsp=22

A bad pic of Scaled's Project 226
raptor08.jpg

Nauga,
and Slim Pickens

There was an AG-14 at Gaston's one year. I have pictures of it...somewhere. It was based at the same airport where Chip Gibbons flies (flew?). Really nice guy, very interesting airplane.
Google found it :)

Below are screenshots from the 1953 motion picture Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck. Can you identify the airliner?

Attachments

• _01.jpg
    _01.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 61
  • _02.jpg
    _02.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 53
  • _03.jpg
    _03.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 53
The weirdest airplane I've ever seen in person was the QSRA.

It's a STOL jet that blows jet exhaust over the wings for added lift.

The Russians actually went into production with this idea. There are cargo, airliner and an AWAC versions of this plane.

Antonov AN-72

antonov_an72_er-aca_ra.JPG

I bet those are really fun to fly after losing an engine :eek:

I bet they are fine, the further forward the thrust, the less yaw effect it has, plus the more effect the rudder has. Same thing works on the Cri Cri keeping it from qualifying for Multi time.

I like that design personally, with the engines there you could probably make it a float plane as well. Soviet stuff is usually expensive on the fuel and labor end of operating expense, but parts costs aren't too bad.

The mooney comanche bonanza?

The Mooney/Comanche connection goes all the way back in legend to a stormy day in Pennsylvania when Al Mooney pulled up in his plane and got hangared at the Piper facility as a courtesy and went to a hotel. While Al waited out the weather, the engineers at Piper studied his plane and reversed engineered it applying that into the Comanche. Or so the legend has it.;)

The Mooney/Comanche connection goes all the way back in legend to a stormy day in Pennsylvania when Al Mooney pulled up in his plane and got hangared at the Piper facility as a courtesy and went to a hotel. While Al waited out the weather, the engineers at Piper studied his plane and reversed engineered it applying that into the Comanche. Or so the legend has it.;)

This web site is more consistent with the stories I have heard...

In 1954, Bill Piper was looking for a design to compete with the Bonanza. The engineers at Piper were busy with other projects at the time, so Bill Piper asked his friend Al Mooney if Piper could buy the new Mooney MK-20 design that Mooney had not yet started producing. Al wouldn't sell the design, so Bill Piper asked Al Mooney to come up with a totally new design. Al submitted a design to Piper that was an all metal 4 place monocoque construction with retractable gear, a 180 HP Lycoming, and a stabilator in place of an elevator. The stabilator was a new design, an all flying horizontal tail.

http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft performance/Piper/11.htm

Brian

Sure makes more sense that way, which is why I made sure to be clear on the 'legend' status of the story. I have heard it passed on in pilot lore, but always questioned it. That Al was contracted to provide a design makes a heck of a lot more sense.

The airplane in the photo above was a one-off experimental called a "Taylor Royal T," first registered in 1983. It combined a Mooney cabin, landing gear and wings, Bonanza tip tanks, and a Beech Musketeer -- not Comanche -- vertical tail. IIRC it had a big engine, either an IO-520 or IO-540.

I wonder if this accident report from 1996 might explain the new tailfeathers.

Sadly, there was another accident report ten years later.

How about the Champion Lancer, which appears to be the answer to a question no one ever asked.
1284043.jpg

Al Martin used to have a literal 'basket case' of a Lancer. He kept threatening we'd put it together, but other projects always got in the way.

My dad snapped this photo at Grants Pass, Oregon, in the late 1990s ...

Comoonchey.jpg

Hahaha love it! I was actually looking for this picture when the thread came up the first time but couldn't find it. What a silly plane.

I don't understand changing the vertical, stab? Like they salvaged four storm damaged planes into one.

How about the Champion Lancer, which appears to be the answer to a question no one ever asked.

This is without a doubt the funniest Wikipedia article I've read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champion_Lancer

For example: "The close proximity of the engines and propellers to the front-seat pilot's head create elevated noise levels described as "remarkable" or even "paralyzing"."

Back