Unique local/regional foods?

During Spargel season I think they have it in the cafeteria every day of the week in some form. My area is Spargel und Erdbeere land.
Same here. Every restaurant and Brauhaus has their own Spargel menu. I’m in NRW, so we roll from Spargel season right into Pfifferling season.

'Kuchen' in central ND. It's a type of pie the germans from russia who settled that area brought along.
It’s funny the derivations of these words. Kuchen in German just means “cake.” Not any specific kind, just any plain old cake. You can get Apfelkuchen (apple cake), Käsekuchen (cheesecake), etc. I’m sure those original German settlers brought their cake with them from the old country, and called it Kuchen, and in that area, that term became synonymous with that specific type of cake. So now in that area, if you ask for Kuchen, you get that type, whereas in Germany you’d be looking at a bakery display with 6 different Kuchen in front of you.

Last edited:
Pork Roll Egg and Cheese - the best of the breakfast sandwiches.
Pork roll? Ok, piney... ;)

Everybody knows that the real stuff is Taylor Ham. And hold the cheese. Taylor Ham and egg on a hard roll and a cup of diner coffee.

Same here. Every restaurant and Brauhaus has their own Spargel menu. I’m in NRW, so we roll from Spargel season right into Pfifferling season.
Cool. We are down in BW. If you want to visit Heidelberg and need a place to stay the weekend...

Cool. We are down in BW. If you want to visit Heidelberg and need a place to stay the weekend...

I didn’t realize we had anyone else in Germany. I’ll be moving to the Allgäu region this fall on a year long assignment for work. I’ve visited several times but never longer than a couple weeks.

The Allgäu is known for its cheese, so you can imagine the speciality dishes... Käsespatzen mmmm

I didn’t realize we had anyone else in Germany. I’ll be moving to the Allgäu region this fall on a year long assignment for work. I’ve visited several times but never longer than a couple weeks.

The Allgäu is known for its cheese, so you can imagine the speciality dishes... Käsespatzen mmmm
Cool. Welcome to Deutschland. We will be here another year. I guess we need a Germany POA meetup now.

Out here in beef country we have a delicacy that is known as “Rocky Mountain Oysters”. I’ve been to 3 oyster fries already in the past year since I’ve been back. They’re excellent dipped in cocktail sauce, ranch dressing, or even in buffalo wing sauce.

I can't remember where it was, but I had the best beef tongue sandwiches there...

Maybe it was upstate New York?

I can't remember where it was, but I had the best beef tongue sandwiches there...

Maybe it was upstate New York?

I've always wondered, when you eat beef tongue...does it taste you back?

Back