Unintentional omission on 3rd Class medical application (ADHD) ... What now?

G

Posting anonymously for obvious reasons...

A couple weeks ago I passed my 3rd class medical and was issued the certificate day-of.
I filled out the MedXpress application the week before and answered "No" to all of the medical history questions... even "18.m.", asking about "mental disorders of any sort".

I read this question, and did not connect the dots that the FAA considers childhood ADHD to be a "mental disorder". The examples listed were "depression, anxiety, etc"... I have never suffered from or been diagnosed with clinical depression or anxiety.
But I WAS medicated for ADHD during my early childhood. Eventually, the meds were deemed unnecessary and my prescription was discontinued. Since then, I have not taken another ADHD stimulant for at least 20 years. I have lived a reasonably normal life and have fostered a successful career in Aerospace engineering.

I should stress that this omission was not intentional. I do not wish to lie to the FAA. It simply did not cross my mind at the time that ADHD could be considered a disqualifying mental disorder. I didn't find out until AFTER I had received the certification that ADHD is even a concern for the FAA. This is an error borne of ignorance, not of malice or dishonesty.

I haven't even started flight training. I have zero hours and my first lesson is in several weeks. What's the best way I can move forward without incurring the wrath of the FAA? Even if it means pushing back my flight training for another year while I sort this mess out...

Thank you.

You should wait to see what the forthcoming policy is (hopefully released tomorrow). Then you will at least know what to expect when you contact the FAA to let them know that you neglected this and would like to correct the record.

Are you pursuing flying as a profession? If so, you might want to correct.

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. It was not a deliberate deception. Your honesty is to be commended, but IMO this falls in the category of letting sleeping dogs lie.

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. It was not a deliberate deception. Your honesty is to be commended, but IMO this falls in the category of letting sleeping dogs lie.
This sounds about right, and I would think child’s records are not as easily accessible as adults. But I have no idea.

3rd Class / PPL only. No plans or wishes to pursue a career in aviation. I worry about disciplinary action should the unthinkable happen and I'm involved in (and survive) an emergency.

You should wait to see what the forthcoming policy is (hopefully released tomorrow). Then you will at least know what to expect when you contact the FAA to let them know that you neglected this and would like to correct the record.
Yes, your post on Facebook is actually what made me aware it was an issue to begin with. I'll keep an eye out for the news and plan my next move accordingly. Thank you.

Thank you, I did see this thread.
Can you extrapolate on what you meant by linking it here? Will they want to see my employment and academic history?

No movement on the ADHD issue this month... sigh.

However, this reddit thread contains some promising (albeit second hand) remarks from the current Deputy Air Surgeon.

Can you offer any takeaway on those? Looks like the situation for people like myself is showing signs of changing drastically, maybe even for the better.

Things are definitely moving and we think it is the right direction. But it is still a bureaucracy and it takes time.

Back