Uninsurable?

O

Oopsjustadent

I sometimes fly off of of unimproved strips, had a rejected take off. Consequently suffered a prop strike under heavy braking after deciding the engine didn't feel right. Was a fairly short strip and unfortunately a wing got a dent in it from brush. Plane had a stol kit on stock wing underneath ended up not being damaged, no injuries and happy I ended up there vs the trees beyond the strip.

Under protest from others I know who said it was a bad idea, I dutifully reported to the feds as a prop strike and major damage due to the wing hit. Aircraft was uninsured and cost less then 30k, repair bill was less then 8k including inspection by a&p, cost wasn't an issue, I am doubtful I would have used insurance anyway since I pay more in premiums on more expensive aircraft per year and wouldn't have wanted the increase in premium.

Coverage lapsed on other aircraft I own a few months later, was unable to renew with that company and Avemco due to the accident. They told me to check back in three years, never once asked the circumstances only if I had any accidents or incidents when I reapplied. Is aircraft insurance really hurting this bad that a policy cant be written due to this?

Yes, I had been insured with a company and when it came time to renew, they told me they would not. Had to hunt down another company. I should note, I have never had an incident, company #1 just decided not to renew my policy.

A few months ago, there was a pretty long thread on here about people having these sorts of problems.

Now you know why most people move damaged aircraft out of sight as quickly as possible, if nobody saw it happen.

OTOH, my forced landing (with major damage) a couple of years ago had no effect on my ability to insure a new plane a year later.

The FAA upgraded my engine failure to accident status (though, that was dubious. The repairs to the wing didn't end up being more than $50,000, the big charge for the engine doesn't count there). Fortunately, Avemco (my current insurer) didn't bat an eye at renewal time.

I did have an issue years back when USAIG (not AIG) decided to screw all the Navion owners (at the time they had an exclusivity deal with USAA so a lot of us were insured there). The only reason was the planes were old. Mind you, they are sturdy things with good accident rates and airframe parts are not hard to come by. The bigger problem was some of the older engines, but that's common to things like Bonanzas etc...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back