Uninstall beacon?

The checkride by the end of the month is doubtful at this point. Even my CFII has yet to choose a DPE for me (which he insists on doing) much less inquire as to what kind of "partial panel" to expect in my airplane with all its toys. He is obviously so pessimistic about my plane being ready in time to make the deadline that he isn't even giving it his all. He knows my mechanic all too well. :(

As to moving my airplane to the Friendliest Airport in Michigan, yeah I'm thinking about it. I don't have a repair shop on field now, and it can't be any worse at 57D, and probably a whole lot better in some ways. Lots of great people, much cheaper fuel, and a crosswind runway, at least in summer. No IAPs though. Lots to think about...

I'm pretty happy at PTK. Lots of choices for maint, fuel, hangars,
approaches ... and if you locate in Hotel row, you'll have internet
service avail. Turn the pre-heat on/off from home.

Assuming they bought the right parts to fit, installing a Whelan beacon should be a quick job. Ideally, it should fit into the old hole where the rotating beacon sat, and even have the same screw holes to line up.

I did this and it didn't take very long, follwed by a sign off by the IA. Did require a pretty high ladder.

The checkride by the end of the month is doubtful at this point. Even my CFII has yet to choose a DPE for me (which he insists on doing) much less inquire as to what kind of "partial panel" to expect in my airplane with all its toys. He is obviously so pessimistic about my plane being ready in time to make the deadline that he isn't even giving it his all. He knows my mechanic all too well. :(

As to moving my airplane to the Friendliest Airport in Michigan, yeah I'm thinking about it. I don't have a repair shop on field now, and it can't be any worse at 57D, and probably a whole lot better in some ways. Lots of great people, much cheaper fuel, and a crosswind runway, at least in summer. No IAPs though. Lots to think about...

<sigh!>
So, still no beacon? And, worse, no DPE? (WTH!?)
Sounds like W needs a kick too. (Especially since he could be helping on the beacon front.)

As for 57D:
No IAP ... yet.
(I understand a GPS approach is in the works.)
And, Romeo is just. over. yonder. (if ya know what I mean and aren't in too too much of a bind)

I think it's a great place to be and worth the drive for the "community." There's a lot more going on beyond the lovable geezers in the terminal. (OK, maybe not a lot, but friendly hangar neighbors with open doors, barbecues, and tasty beverages. Oh, and cool toys to ogle and play with. Plus, tools, knowledge, skills, and maybe even some As&Ps with IAs to boot.)

Azure, I'd take some stress off by doing a quick review and just retaking the written. You'll do fine.

Is your CFII actually working for you? There's two sides to every story, but this seems a bit strange - unless he's the one who'll be writing a check to the examiner. In your shoes I'd find a 172 and another CFII, get signed off, and take the ride from the DPE of your choice. If your bird gets fixed (with no more express freight) in the meantime, great. I realize this entails additional funds, though. I'm getting stressed out just reading your posts - and overstressed is not the proper attitude for any checkride.

You will like the Whelen Beacon...it is bright...get the landing lights too!

Doesn't Marty Mayes live in your neighborhood ?? I'd be looking him up, and asking for his help.

Great guy by the way.

I'm pretty happy at PTK. Lots of choices for maint, fuel, hangars,
approaches ... and if you locate in Hotel row, you'll have internet
service avail. Turn the pre-heat on/off from home.
If I lived closer to PTK it would be my first choice for just the reasons you mention. But it's at least an hour from work, more from home and close to 1.5 hours during the morning and evening rush periods.

<sigh!>
So, still no beacon? And, worse, no DPE? (WTH!?)
Sounds like W needs a kick too. (Especially since he could be helping on the beacon front.)
Now the target is tonight. He says he should have it in right about now, or else "you'll find me in your hangar at 8am tomorrow".

As for 57D:
No IAP ... yet.
(I understand a GPS approach is in the works.)
And, Romeo is just. over. yonder. (if ya know what I mean and aren't in too too much of a bind)
Yeah but unless I knew someone really well, I wouldn't ask them to come pick me up at Romeo!

I think it's a great place to be and worth the drive for the "community." There's a lot more going on beyond the lovable geezers in the terminal. (OK, maybe not a lot, but friendly hangar neighbors with open doors, barbecues, and tasty beverages. Oh, and cool toys to ogle and play with. Plus, tools, knowledge, skills, and maybe even some As&Ps with IAs to boot.)
That's exactly what I'd like to discuss by PM. I'm too tired tonight, but if you're willing, I'll send you a PM probably tomorrow.

Azure, I'd take some stress off by doing a quick review and just retaking the written. You'll do fine.

Is your CFII actually working for you? There's two sides to every story, but this seems a bit strange - unless he's the one who'll be writing a check to the examiner. In your shoes I'd find a 172 and another CFII, get signed off, and take the ride from the DPE of your choice. If your bird gets fixed (with no more express freight) in the meantime, great. I realize this entails additional funds, though. I'm getting stressed out just reading your posts - and overstressed is not the proper attitude for any checkride.
It's a bit of a long story. One DPE that he had sent most of his students to got de-designated by the FAA for some procedural no-no. The other one he knew lost her medical and stopped doing checkrides. He doesn't know anyone in the current crop of available DPEs. Of course he's working for me in the sense that he wants his students to pass. He doesn't want to send any student to an examiner who makes up PTS standards that are way above those set by the FAA (and yes, there is at least one around here that is rumored to be that kind).

Beyond that it's pretty much as I said. He is swamped with work right now and although he says I'm ready, he is pretty reluctant to tackle the job of finding a DPE under a time constraint when he seriously doubts my plane is going to be ready in time.

Not sure why you say to find a 172?? :confused: If I give up on getting the rating this month and have to schedule another written, I don't see why I couldn't have my plane back up by the time I'm ready for the practical. My plane is the only plane I've trained in for over two years now. Transitioning to instruments in something else is going to be extra work. If I don't have the rating by the end of August it's not happening this year period -- once classes start, I just won't have the time.

Doesn't Marty Mayes live in your neighborhood ?? I'd be looking him up, and asking for his help.

Great guy by the way.
I haven't seen any posts from Marty in a couple of years, I don't know what he's doing now. I don't even recall whether he still teaches (or taught).

I haven't seen any posts from Marty in a couple of years, I don't know what he's doing now. I don't even recall whether he still teaches (or taught).
He's in at EAA forums.

> he is pretty reluctant to tackle the job of finding a DPE under a time constraint
> when he seriously doubts my plane is going to be ready in time.

The DPE is your choice, not his. Please exercise your PIC authority.

The other one he knew lost her medical and stopped doing checkrides.

I will leave verification to some of the FAR experts, but I thought a DPE could do IFR checkrides without a medical since the examinee is the PIC. Maybe your friend's DPE doesn't know this (if it is indeed correct). Maybe if her autorization is still current, she could do it for you.

Not sure why you say to find a 172?

In case your maintenance problem degenerates into an expensive, time-consuming mess. It happens. You can at least finish your rating while your airplane is laid up. The transition wouldn't be difficult. Obviously if your airplane gets fixed you'd stay with it.

You can scout DPEs as well as your instructor. "Fair" and "follows PTS" are what you're looking for, as you know. :)

In case your maintenance problem degenerates into an expensive, time-consuming mess. It happens. You can at least finish your rating while your airplane is laid up. The transition wouldn't be difficult. Obviously if your airplane gets fixed you'd stay with it.

You can scout DPEs as well as your instructor. "Fair" and "follows PTS" are what you're looking for, as you know. :)
That's just it. I don't know who fits those categories any more than he does. He has better connections than I do, but he has yet to use them. I've already struck out with everyone whose judgment I trust, with one exception, and that recommendation was for someone he has a strong opinion against.

I thought a DPE could still do a checkride without a medical too, which is why I wrote "and stopped doing them". She has basically retired, for reasons I'm not fully privy to. I would have gone to her in a heartbeat as I went to her for my private.

My mech called this morning at 0800, my plane is ready. I am going to test fly it today (there is another issue related to loss of GPS satellites, I want to take it out of the area where it has always happened before and see if it recurs). Plan is to call my instructor when he gets in in a few minutes and try to light a fire under him. His first open slot for a last session is tomorrow, or was until I grabbed it.

re: DPEs ...

I've heard good reports re: Bob Butleman (sp?) at TVC. Want me to
get the correct spelling?

Last edited:
re: DPEs ...

I've heard good reports re: Bob Butleman (sp?) at TVC. Want me to
get the correct spelling?
Thanks. Having to go to TVC for the ride presents another dimension to the scheduling problem (i.e., needing VFR weather here, there, and everywhere in between). I think I need to keep this more or less local.

I will leave verification to some of the FAR experts, but I thought a DPE could do IFR checkrides without a medical since the examinee is the PIC.
...but the DPE on an IR practical test is the safety pilot, and so must have a current medical IAW 61.23 because s/he is acting as a required pilot crewmember where PP privileges are being exercised per 91.109(c).

In any event, FAA Order 8900.2 requires DPE's to have at least a Third Class medical certificate with the following exceptions:
  • Balloon, glider, or simulator - no requirement
  • Sport Pilot - either valid DL or Third Class medical
So, absent the medical, she cannot conduct IR examinations.

Thanks Ron. That would have been way to convenient for Liz. Sometimes a person just keeps getting curve balls, and it looks like that is what is happening. How do you find a DPE when you go to someone like her for the rating?

Well? Are you scheduling the written again our did you get to do the checkride? Just wondering, and you can tell my it is none of my business :).

In any event, FAA Order 8900.2 requires DPE's to have at least a Third Class medical certificate with the following exceptions:
  • Balloon, glider, or simulator - no requirement
  • Sport Pilot - either valid DL or Third Class medical
So, absent the medical, she cannot conduct IR examinations.

Always surprised me that it isn't considered a Commercial operation with a 2nd Class required.

Well? Are you scheduling the written again our did you get to do the checkride? Just wondering, and you can tell my it is none of my business :).
No worries! I'm studying again for the written. I sprang for the fully online Kings, then thought I might be able to take a shortcut by just going through the Prepware question bank and only using the Kings when needed. I quickly found that it's nearly impossible to cross reference the two and that I'd have to stick to one or the other. So I chose King.

Yeah, I'm sitting through the whole umpteen hours of almost insufferable lectures followed by quizzes. Most of it is old and familiar, but because they insert the new material inside existing lessons, if I don't listen to all of it I'll never know for sure if I've missed something important that I didn't know. The quizzes aren't a complete sampling of the test bank questions, I don't think.

Always surprised me that it isn't considered a Commercial operation with a 2nd Class required.
I suspect the logic is the same as for instructors -- they're getting paid to examine, not to be a pilot. The only reason they do need a medical is that on occasion they are a required pilot crewmember who requires one, but that's not what they're getting paid to do.

Then it doesn't matter what the strobes are certified as -- the beacon is a go/no-go item for any flight in that aircraft.:(

A bit of a necropost, sure, but can you placard as inop, and use only for day, VFR conditions?

A bit of a necropost, sure, but can you placard as inop, and use only for day, VFR conditions?
Since 91.213(d) does not allow operation without all equipment required by 91.205 being operative, it depends on when the aircraft was certificated.
14 CFR 91.205 said:
(b) Visual-flight rules (day). For VFR flight during the day, the following instruments and equipment are required:
(11) For small civil airplanes certificated after March 11, 1996, in accordance with part 23 of this chapter, an approved aviation red or aviation white anticollision light system. In the event of failure of any light of the anticollision light system, operation of the aircraft may continue to a location where repairs or replacement can be made.
If it was certificated before that date, yes, you can do that indefinitely. If not, then you can only fly it to where the "official" anti-collision light system can be repaired/replaced.

Back