Unidentified Helicopter

bigblockz8

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gore
This helicopter is getting to me. I cannot figure out what it is! It buzzed between the DC SFRA and FRZ over W00 this past friday. It looks like a Bell 47 at first but has three rotor blades and what looks like a jet engine. Then you assume SC300 but the open tail. Something is on it and I want to guess jet engine. It buzzed for two hours as everyone in the shop took guesses.

Something is written in white on the side. I want to think that it says experimental or restricted.

http://youtu.be/plSg-5FuDQM

Llama or gazelle. Guessi g but those look similar. Plenty in europe not so much over here.

Llama or gazelle. Guessi g but those look similar. Plenty in europe not so much over here.

Thanks! I forgot all about those. Just so rare to see one here. Then the behavior made me wonder what type it was because it was there a while, had some sort of duty there, and was not LE or power line patrol. Narrows the guesswork down though thanks!

Based on the high mounted turbine and tail boom I am in the Alouette/Llama camp as well. The Llama is a offspring/refinement of the Alouette. Same basic machine.

A guy I knew when I lived in Colorado and was based at Front Range had an Alouette. He kept trying to sell it to me. :rolleyes:

It seemed like an neat machine though. Guess if you're going to have one, that's the place to have it.

Having spent some time in, around and even dangling under one, I can say definitively, without any doubt, that...

...it is spelled Lama not Llama :wink2:

It's definitely not a Gazelle since the tail is wrong. The Gazelle had an enclosed tail rotor. It's also the only turbine helicopter I have ridden in. A guy used to keep a RED one at Centennial but I don't know what ever happened to it or him.

avgazel_01.jpg

Last edited:
Back