Unhappy end to a NASA spin test - Bonanza

Not having done one, what would you estimate the vertical speed would be. If you are inverted, you would have to overcome that to get out and clear of the airplane.

The vertical speed doesn't matter - your rate of acceleration does - and by the time that you decide it's time to GTFO not much will be changing from an acceleration perspective. You'll be hanging on your belts inverted and when you release them you'll simply fall out.

so that's why none of those flight instructors ever wanted to do deep stalls in my bonanza during my biennials…

As soon as that stall warning even chirped, they'd tell me… “that's good”:D

Only if you are running non-STC'd tip tanks. Experiment much?

Only if you are running non-STC'd tip tanks. Experiment much?

Dunno, keep in mind that the requirements for spin testing are only that the aircraft must recover from 1-turn spins within a specified number of rotations. So as Jesse pointed out, CAR 3 certification has proven that the Bonanza meets spin certification requirements, but spins aren't fully developed after 1 turn. Maybe the Bonanza will recover from any spin mode, after any number of turns, in any any approved W&B configuration, but where's the data? Anyone want to deliberately try to induce a flat spin in a Bonanza after the spin has fully developed, say after 3 turns? I'll guess no takers, unless you've already done it. But all this shouldn't be a reason to avoid stall practice.

Dunno, keep in mind that the requirements for spin testing are only that the aircraft must recover from 1-turn spins within a specified number of rotations. So as Jesse pointed out, CAR 3 certification has proven that the Bonanza meets spin certification requirements, but spins aren't fully developed after 1 turn. Maybe the Bonanza will recover from any spin mode, after any number of turns, in any any approved W&B configuration, but where's the data? Anyone want to deliberately try to induce a flat spin in a Bonanza after the spin has fully developed, say after 3 turns? I'll guess no takers, unless you've already done it. But all this shouldn't be a reason to avoid stall practice.

My point was that this video was taken while certifying (or failing to certify) tip tanks and is not indicative of what a stock Bo will do. My question for your CFI would be on what hard data is he basing his disinterest in actually stalling the airplane? I think we are saying the same thing. :yes:

My point was that this video was taken while certifying (or failing to certify) tip tanks and is not indicative of what a stock Bo will do. My question for your CFI would be on what hard data is he basing his disinterest in actually stalling the airplane? I think we are saying the same thing. :yes:

Probably the fact that they didn't have a yoke in front of them.

Very few CFI's liked not having anything to take control of

My input was meant to be light

Carry on…

The NTSB report clearly states the tip tanks were NOT installed yet.

That would indicate to me that the accident flight was to be used as a baseline.

The NTSB report clearly states the tip tanks were NOT installed yet.

That would indicate to me that the accident flight was to be used as a baseline.

Huh? Are you reading a different NTSB report than me?

DURING A TEST FLIGHT FOR CERTIFICATION OF WING TIP TANKS, WHILE PERFORMING SPINS, THE AIRCRAFT ENTERED A FLAT SPIN.
Contributing Factors

MAINTENANCE,MODIFICATION..INTENTIONAL..COMPANY/OPERATOR MANAGEMENT

Too bad about the guy holding the camera, though :sad:

Poor b@st@rd didn't have a chute i guess. Perhaps more importantly, who made that video camera? It stayed rolling like a champ!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Back