Unfortunately these people exist.

grattonja said:
I find the G1000 panels on the newest rental to be distraction enough. "How do you pull those metars up? What's the screen doing now? D--N!" No music and definitely no DVD for me, thanks.

You pull those metars up by listening to the AWOS like in any other plane. :yes: ;)

The one and only time I've ever listened to music while flying was in a G1000 182. After 6.3 hours in that bird, that was the last feature of the G1000 that I tried out. It was nighttime and the frequency was pretty quiet so I could get some enjoyment out of it for a couple of minutes. However, it was more of an experiment than anything, even though for those few minutes it was really nice - I found a channel that really added to the experience of the serene night flight over Florida.

However, on a normal day - Well, I get so into music that I want to put all of my concentration into "active listening". I cannot sleep when there is music playing because I get so tuned in that my brain just won't shut off. (Ben - Are you like this too? I'm hoping it's a "musician" thing, not a "crazy person" thing. ;))

I'm the same way with flying. I'd much rather concentrate on enjoying the flying. There are very few circumstances where music would really add to the flying. Or maybe I just haven't flown with music enough.

We do have an audio input jack to the GMA 340 in the 182, and I've never used it, even on long cross countries. After all, that's where the best flying enjoyment comes from!

Back