undiagnosed sleep apnea/upcoming medical

I did just pass a DOT physical 2 weeks ago. How similar are the FAA and DOT physicals?

I did just pass a DOT physical 2 weeks ago. How similar are the FAA and DOT physicals?

Did your DOT physical address sleep disorders? Currently there is no FAA requirement to do so. The problem with flight physicals is AMEs don't all take the same approach. Some guys figure it's their role to save you from yourself and look for reasons to DQ you. Others see the written regs and figure it's their role to certify that you comply with them. No less, no more. I don't go to an AME for health care. I have doctors for that. I go because I'm required to. Choose your AME wisely and don't offer any info you aren't required to provide. That's my advice.

Weight loss cures a multitude of bad things. I'm restarting my diet after tomorrow. :wink2:[/QUOTE]

Me too :yes:

Im going just toss this out there.. This is medical advice, not certification advice. Untreated sleep apnea can result in high blood pressure, stress, elevated blood glucose, further weight gain, narcolepsy and in the most severe cases right heart failure (which is a really big deal). Without regards to your flying and your medical, if you THINK you have it, you are best served to be tested for it, and if you HAVE it you are best served to treat it.

Sure, losing weight may make it go away.. but if you aren't sleeping well, and your body is secreting excess hormones while under stress, you may not be able to LOSE the weight, as excess cortisol can and does result in weight gain (as well as higher and harder to control blood sugar).

Take care of your health. Your medical will fall into place with a little extra effort and you will reap the benefits for a much longer period of time.

Im going just toss this out there.. This is medical advice, not certification advice. Untreated sleep apnea can result in high blood pressure, stress, elevated blood glucose, further weight gain, narcolepsy and in the most severe cases right heart failure (which is a really big deal). Without regards to your flying and your medical, if you THINK you have it, you are best served to be tested for it, and if you HAVE it you are best served to treat it.

Sure, losing weight may make it go away.. but if you aren't sleeping well, and your body is secreting excess hormones while under stress, you may not be able to LOSE the weight, as excess cortisol can and does result in weight gain (as well as higher and harder to control blood sugar).

Take care of your health. Your medical will fall into place with a little extra effort and you will reap the benefits for a much longer period of time.

Exactly! :)

The weird thing to me is that the FAA's requirements for OSA are the same for all classes of licenses.

I can kind of see requiring the SI for class I or II medicals. For class III I think the SI is overkill unless the pilot is experiencing significant sleepiness during his or her normal day.

A professional pilot has to fly when told, a GA pilot does not.

I am speaking from experience when I tell you.... you cannot predict when narcolepsy will strike. A nap attack going down the road in spite of you trying to shake it off and stay awake is just as dangerous as a nap attack in a spam can. Thats why there is no difference in the requirements for the classes. Unsafe is unsafe. Its not mission dependent.

hey all, here is the situation. I just scheduled my 3rd class medical (first one, just about to get started as a student). My wife has told me that, aside from my snoring, I stop breathing for short amounts of time at night, leading me to suspect that I have sleep apnea. (Im also overweight, which makes me more at risk). I have not seen a doctor about it, and plan on doing so.

My question is, should I wait until after my medical exam to seek a diagnosis to avoid some of the red tape regarding an SI? or will the AME ask for a sleep study, so I should get going on it now? My exam isn until february and my PCP can see me right after christmas.

Thanks

Having been both a Type II diabetic and having sleep apnea, I decided to have gastric bypass. This led me to lose 130 pounds. Prior to the surgery, I was on a liquid protein diet that actually wasn't bad. Lost 20 pounds in two weeks. PM me if you want link to protein powder that actually tasted decent. Good luck.

I am speaking from experience when I tell you.... you cannot predict when narcolepsy will strike. A nap attack going down the road in spite of you trying to shake it off and stay awake is just as dangerous as a nap attack in a spam can. Thats why there is no difference in the requirements for the classes. Unsafe is unsafe. Its not mission dependent.

And millions of people drive on public roads with these conditions. Life is unsafe. Yawn.

when airplanes begin to rain down from nap attacks.....then I'll worry more about this.:rolleyes:

Those that have issues should be able to self certify just like any other health issue...but, that's IMHO.:yes:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back