Understanding Anti-depressant meds rules?

psween

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
psween
My son, a healthy 15 year old, wants to pursue flying and we'll need to get him a medical soon. I hold a third class medical and think I understand the 'prohibited meds' rules, but want to run this by some more knowledgeable people before we start the process.

The issue, maybe, is his prescription for amitryptaline. This is on the no go list due to it being an anti-depressant, but he has not been diagnosed or treated for depression. It was prescribed to hopefully help reduce some lingering concussion symptoms (headaches) from a fall last summer. My understanding is that this will be a short term use, and he has had no side effects.

If he is done with the prescription and symptom free for some time, is his past use still going to cause issues, and if so how should we best proceed? Thanks,

Patrick

The FAA will likely want to understand the underlying reason why he was prescribed the medication. And that could get interesting.

I’d recommend getting all those records together, then set a non-medical certificate seeking appointment to make sure you get the FAA everything they need fairly quickly to make a determination. Then once you have that, have your son apply for the medical.

I suspect they may want to follow him with the concussion with possibly a special issuance. I am not sure, but expect that might be a possibility. If so, even that isn’t a big deal. Just requires a status update from the doctor. That’s only if they want to do a SI.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read the form and instructions carefully. It does not ask about past medications, so keep that in mind if he's done with the medication when he goes for his medical. He will have to report the concussion, and the AME may ask about severity, symptoms, and treatment.

Depending on the severity, your son might be deferred for a decision from the FAA. So a consultation with a good AME prior to having an actual exam would be a good idea. Here the guidance for AMEs: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...guide/app_process/exam_tech/item46/amd/incap/

Last edited:
It will all out in the FAA's evaluation of "post concussion syndrome that required medication". Foremost among them will be the Neurocognitive evaluation by the "trained in part 67" HIMS neurospychologist. You bet he will be deferred.

Start now by getting the record, NOW. Make darned certain that the record reflects ZERO for psychiatry disease, and that is is clearly stated in the record.

Last edited:
A follow up, my now 16 yo son was issued his 3rd class medical by the AME. We had documented the reason for the anti-depressant prescription with a letter from his Dr. and his concussion symptoms had been resolved long before the AME visit. We understand from the issuing AME that there is a chance we may get a letter from the FAA when they audit, and we may need to provide more documentation, but for the time being it is issued. Thank you to those who gave advice on how to proceed.

Patrick

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back